geewizzpip Show full post »
Anne
asington wrote:
I suspect that Mark D was cc'd in his capacity as Deputy Chairman.

Copied in as Head Judge.

Anne
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Is the June date definite?
Roger I
Quote 0 0
mjc23
Dear All,

Although I sit on  CoM and the SOCOM I to was surprised by the date, I am not in a position to comment as I have not spoken to Dawn or Marc.

Martin 

Martin Coleman
Martin Coleman
Quote 0 0
philmw
Thanks for the contribution Martin.

So when the SoCom discussed and the COM agreed the arrangement (financial and otherwise) with Bonhams the date wasn’t mentioned.

Oh dear.
Quote 0 0
atomic
I too have been surprised by this confusion over dates.. particularly having paid my deposit too for the DB7 weekend , I will not be available to compete  either.   Also with the recent rule changes I cannot send a friend with one of my cars to compete and support the event .  Cornwall had a low attendance so two poorly attended concours in a row wont be a good result? 
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
atomic wrote:
...Cornwall had a low attendance...
Cornwall inevitably had a low attendance because of its location. As an exercise in moving the concours around the country it was a good idea but obviously inconvenient for all but people living in the west.  
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
Mark Rolfe
The date chosen is going to cause problems with attendance as has been said it is very late and also there are several other club and other car events that are already scheduled for that weekend. Coincidentally if the date is definite I won’t be able to compete as my Son is getting married that weekend, so good luck to my fellow Bloxham owners.

Also with regards to the Cornwall event, I thought it was a good event and a lovely venue. I drove a round trip of over 600 miles to compete and was rewarded with a class win. Ok logistically it was a pain to prepare and clean the car (weather didn’t help) but the effort I took made my result even more rewarding.

We are after all a car club and cars can drive a very long way (even the old ones). The members who drive long distances to the usual Home Counties venues have the same issues that we did going to Cornwall so I’m pleased to see new venues around the country.
Quote 0 0
philmw
I suspect the change of venue for Cornwall didn’t help the numbers, and Autumn Concours are always less well attended than the Spring ones.

Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
And easier to win [smile] ?
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
SolentDB7 wrote:
...We are after all a car club and cars can drive a very long way (even the old ones)...
Absolutely agree, I thoroughly enjoyed driving mine over 1,500 miles down to Italy for a track session at Monza through all sorts of weather! [biggrin] 

Fluela pass .jpg 

Quote 2 0
geewizzpip
Well done, a car not tucked up in bed!!
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
geewizzpip wrote:
Well done, a car not tucked up in bed!!
Took a bit of cleaning to get it up to concours standard! Mind you it was quite therapeutic (if that's the right word)?!?

[banner-amoc-concours-entry-02-461] 

Quote 0 0
rcfurse
It's getting behind all the lines (oil and brake) and cables that line the bulkhead above your legs that takes all the time. I'd rather drive the car which is why I commend you for getting it to concours (hopefully not too often!)
Quote 0 0
SilverspeedDb9
Any confirmation of details for Spring Concours? Will there be an International Dinner on the Saturday night ?
Quote 0 0
asington
Oh dear! Has the SoCoM not got this organised yet? I see yet more aggravation on the horizon!! I can also see the '18 Spring concours not happening. What do the members of the SoCom have to say on the matter? Replies please on a postcard as they don't appear to support the Forum!
Quote 0 0
GaryU_2
As a CoM member, I know we are having a spring concours and a dinner. I do not know any details of what is going to happen on the weekend.

Formerly known as Forum Manager.
Quote 0 0
MPD
Although not on the Social/Concours Committee, I can advise that there will be an International Dinner.

I am sure they will release details of this soon.

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg
Quote 0 0
SilverspeedDb9
Thanks - just trying to plan ahead.
Quote 0 0
Dobbie
philmw wrote:
I suspect the change of venue for Cornwall didn’t help the numbers, and Autumn Concours are always less well attended than the Spring ones.

It's not about the distance, it's all about the venue that helps pull the numbers in. (ie: Duxford). If your car gives you that much pleasure you shouldn't mind driving it.

What's that old adage .... "Location, location, location"? 
Quote 0 0
philmw
I’ve been to every Concours since I first joined the Club in the mid 2000s, apart from Bletchley Park*. I agree it’s about location. My comment was related to changing from the original advertised, interesting and exciting venue of the Eden Project.

*ETA: And Woburn.

Quote 0 0
Ockyclarke
Has date and venue for the Spring concours been confirmed?
Paul
Quote 0 0
philmw
The date is posted in the AM News as being 3rd June.  Mark's photos above are of Englefield House.

http://www.englefieldestate.co.uk

With the Bonhams auction on the 2nd

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24875/

It's nice that the Club keeps its members informed:

Bonhams wrote:
Aston Martin Owners Club Secretary, Marc Aylott, commented: 'The Club is proud to continue its long association with the Bonhams Aston Martin Sale, which traditionally takes place on the Club's renowned Concours D'Etat weekend, in partnership with Champagne Taittinger and Lockton Insurance. Staging the Bonhams auction and Club Concours on consecutive days offers the perfect opportunity for our global membership to gather together with our UK Members to enjoy two wonderful world-class Aston Martin events.

Peter Carson, House and Events Manager at Englefield House, commented: 'We are delighted to be hosting the Bonhams Aston Martin Sale and the Aston Martin Owners Club Concours. Englefield House and our beautiful grounds are the perfect setting to showcase these iconic cars, and I have no doubt that it will be a stunning event. We are very much looking forward to welcoming both Aston Martin owners and enthusiasts, as well as members of the public, to the Estate.

as opposed to

AMOC website wrote:
The Club will announce the location of its Spring Concours 2018 in the next few weeks.

[rolleyes]
Quote 1 0
Rich5ltr
I see in AM News this event is referred to as being a two day event, anyone know what is happening on the Saturday or is it just the Bonhams Sale? 

p.s. I was surprised to see that the charge for concourse entrants is the highest at £40, with non-members paying £35 for access and members paying £30. It seems odd to me that without the concourse entrants there would be no event yet they are charged the most!    [confused] I don't suppose anyone can explain the thinking here?

Quote 0 0
MPD
Rich5ltr wrote:

I was surprised to see that the charge for concourse entrants is the highest at £40, with non-members paying £35 for access and members paying £30. It is odd that without the concourse entrants there would be no event yet they are charged the most!    [confused] I don't suppose anyone can explain the thinking here? 

A good few years ago I reduced the entry cost for entrants. (£25 if I remember correctly).

It was the entrants that were the 'draw' for visitors to Concours. This increased members entering Concours and the Springs events increased to 80 cars plus. 

It was actually a suggestion by Tony Hall! [eek]
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
That makes a great deal of sense Mark. I wonder why the reversal of strategy? 

Quote 0 0