geewizzpip Show full post »
MPD
Rich5ltr wrote:
That makes a great deal of sense Mark. I wonder why the reversal of strategy? 

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. May I suggest asking Dawn Scantlebury.
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
I would do but I understand she doesn't use the forum. 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
MPD
Rich5ltr wrote:
I would do but I understand she doesn't use the forum. 

Dawn has confirmed she is happy to respond to emails.

socom.dawn@amoc.org

I'm sure she'll be only too pleased to hear from you.
Quote 0 0
asington
Well - 100 entrants @ £40 = £4000. 180 entrants @ £25 = £4500. However, one must appreciate that the judges can only sensibly judge 10 cars per class - anything more and it ceases to be fun for the judges - in fact quite the opposite! There must be at least 2 judges per class so there is a natural cut-off of how many classes there should be re the number of judges. More classes means more judges and 'we' are in pretty short supply at the best of times, so these restrictions just add to the equation. The question therefore has to be asked - has the SoCoM decided on a £40 fee to restrict the numbers? My personal opinion is that for the Spring Concours a greater number of entrants would be preferred and perhaps in the entrance fee of £40 could include a small bottle of Tattinger - with the cost price supported by the vineyard? There could also be a 'non-judged' class so that everyone gets a chance of having their cars in a concours and that may well motivate more owners to spend more time getting their cars presentable even though they won't be in for prizes. These are just the meandering thoughts of a lunatic!
Quote 0 0
MPD
Classes are now restricted to 10 cars for that very reason Andrew.

I think the point is here that we need to encourage members to enter and the previous figure of £25 entry fee attracted those that may not normally have considered getting involved in Concours. (you get a good parking space too apparently)

I like your idea of a small bottle for the entrants. Perhaps something that the new team could arrange. Do you need Dawn's email address?  [crazy]
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Some good thoughts and ides there Andrew & Mark. I don't have the solution but I do feel strongly that those providing the "entertainment" at an event should be compensated for doing so. I feel the same about car shows that want to charge people to display their cars, it's counter to my way of thinking. For example, I have been invited to drive a few display laps at the Goodwood Members Meeting this month but I was not asked to contribute more than those spectating. 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
Ockyclarke
Quote:
Some good thoughts and ides there Andrew & Mark. I don't have the solution but I do feel strongly that those providing the "entertainment" at an event should be compensated for doing so. I feel the same about car shows that want to charge people to display their cars, it's counter to my way of thinking. For example, I have been invited to drive a few display laps at the Goodwood Members Meeting this month but I was not asked to contribute more than those spectating.

It would have been a nice gesture for them to give you a free ticket
Paul
Quote 0 0
rcfurse
I don't want to get in trouble but . . . . .I understand that at Burghley everyone paid £10 to get in. Half went to the house as a "location fee" and the other half went to Charity. The "gate" must have been a sizeable part of the £47K that went to Charity. If we want to get the numbers up why wouldn't we do something like this? Given the location couldn't we draw in lots of non-AMOC people or is that frowned upon?
Quote 0 0
db7 gts

I don't want to get in trouble but . . . . .I understand that at Burghley everyone paid £10 to get in. Half went to the house as a "location fee" and the other half went to Charity. The "gate" must have been a sizeable part of the £47K that went to Charity. If we want to get the numbers up why wouldn't we do something like this? Given the location couldn't we draw in lots of non-AMOC people or is that frowned upon?

Richard, that sounds a great idea, instead of running 'exclusive', relatively high cost events that cater for a tiny proportion of the membership, the AMOC could spend some of its funds running 'affordable to all' events with the idea of encouraging a much larger proportion of members to participate.

Independently run Burghley has proves there is demand for this type of event, would be good to have feedback from the two chair candidates.
Quote 0 0
philmw
The two Burghley events were great successes, but we should caution that (a) I suspect the vast majority of the charity donation was the voluntary donations and monies raised from the raffles (with prizes donated) and not from the gate, and (b) such events may soon wear if repeated ad nauseum unless turned into something like the RREC Annual Rally (also held at Burghley) and I suspect costs a significant amount of cash, time and effort to put on.

For Concours, there is one argument that competitors should pay less to enter than just to attend as they are displaying their cars for the pleasure of the attendees to admire (or laugh at).  The other argument is that competitors should pay more because this adds "value" to the competition and is arguably a fairer contribution to the cost of putting the event on covering a proportionate cost of the prizes etc.

The third option, therefore, is for competitors to pay the same as attendees.

Quote 0 0
GillianF
Slightly off the main subject of this thread but, why do we need to have exactly the same article publicising the Concours repeated word for word under 'AMOC social events' on page 8 of the newsletter and again under 'Concours News' on page 16?  Especially as I understand Area Reps have been asked to stick to 300 words to keep publishing costs down??  Surely it is not beyond readers to make the connection that the Concours is an AMOC social event.[confused]
Quote 0 0
philmw
Yes, I agree. When Concours was separate from SoCom it made perfect sense. Now, with SoCom running Concours too, it’s bonkers.
Quote 0 0
Thibaut
Started thinking about the logistics of attending the spring concours. As I this is a two day event, is there a ‘recommended hotel’ ? Where are those attending the dinner staying ? With my two young kids, i will be baby sitting rather than black tie but still.
Quote 0 0
Prattking
The Calcot Hotel is only a couple of miles away and is not expensive. It is on the main A4 just off junction 12 of the M4.
Quote 0 0
asington
I've just booked at The Calcot Hotel. £67.50 for a double room - breakfast extra and booked too. Great deal!
Quote 0 0
Prattking
Another club I belong to (not car related) have used this hotel for the last two years and are booked in again for this October. The members seem happy with it and say the food is good so hopefully you'll enjoy your stay.
Quote 0 0
MPD
Anne has asked me to form a new Concours Committee. This will ultimately be Chaired by Martin Coleman, a fellow CoM member and friend. 

The well-oiled Concours machine that Marc Aylott and I operated for 12 years has been reinstated for just one more event!

Martin is shadowing me for the Englefield Concours, as it's probably the easiest way for him to pick up the reins and gain experience of how to make future events successful.

Good luck to Martin in the future, he will have my full support and assistance as and when he requests it.
Quote 0 0
MPD
May I ask which hotels members are staying locally to the Englefield Estate?

We'd like to organise a coach to pick-up and drop members at the International Dinner from their respective hotels.
Quote 0 0
asington
Replying to Mark's question - May I suggest that as it is generally difficult to get members to volunteer (due to personal circumstance as in my case or business demands in others), it may be a sensible suggestion that different Areas are 'selected' (volunteered!) to put on the Spring and Autumn Concours. In this way the Club is distributing not just the event around the country, but the local members can then see precisely how much effort is required for a successful event. No doubt H/O can offer guidance? May I add that the RREC has had a hugely successful annual concours at Harewood House north of Leeds for years and this is always organised by 4 Northern 'Sections' (Areas). 
Quote 0 0
Prattking
Mark D wrote:

We'd like to organise a coach to pick-up and drop members at the International Dinner from their respective hotels.

If members are looking for a local hotel The Calcot Hotel is just off junction 12 M4. There are two main coach companies in Reading, Horseman Coaches and Stuarts Coaches. Have used both and their coaches are very nice.
Quote 0 0
Anne
Mark D wrote:

I'm at The Calcot Hotel. Coach would be good.

Anne
Quote 0 0
Ian Postles
There are (at least) six of us at the Hinds Head, Wasing Lane, Aldermaston and if we could be included on the coaches route that would be great. If you could let us know otherwise we will need to arrange taxi’s. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Ockyclarke
I'm at the Calcot
Paul
Quote 0 0
MPD
Prattking wrote:

There are two main coach companies in Reading, Horseman Coaches and Stuarts Coaches. Have used both and their coaches are very nice.

Thank you for this info. 
Quote 0 0
SilverspeedDb9
Ian Postles wrote:
There are (at least) six of us at the Hinds Head, Wasing Lane, Aldermaston and if we could be included on the coaches route that would be great. If you could let us know otherwise we will need to arrange taxi’s. Thanks.
Quote 0 0