annereed
Due to some cancellations, there are a few tickets available for the International Dinner, this coming Saturday (18th May) at Greenwich.

Details available from: http://www.amoc.org/content/view/1837/853/

Please contact Anne Wright at the Club to book, on 01865 891 838.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Russell is getting ready.....
Quote 0 0
Webby
Red trousers with a DJ. now there's a thought...
Quote 0 0
Bruno
Just had an email from Anne Wright about which states £3100 per ticket, if it was I would expect an audience for 250 or 300 people with Kylie Minogue or someone else as famous, anyway I have just opened the link above and its £100 per ticket.
Quote 0 0
Webby
It says £100 a ticket on the email I've received; which, being a bulk email, is the same email. I suspect misformatting has shown the pound sign as some variant of
£
, the ASCII code for the pound sign.
Quote 0 0
Bruno
Well it was forwarded from the worlds worst phone, a Blackberry.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Bruno wrote:

Well it was forwarded from the worlds worst phone, a Blackberry.

My BB serves me well.
Roger I
Quote 0 0
Bruno
I cant wait to get rid of it shortly !
Quote 0 0
astro
My understanding is that, due to many cancellations, there are more than "just a few" tickets available, so how about dropping the price?
Quote 0 0
Ian Postles
Don't you pay for the tickets when you buy them?  So I agree with Astro discount the tickets to fill the room - unless of course they haven't been paid for.
Quote 0 0
astro
I gather that a considerable number of people put their names down with initial enthusiasm but then when it came to coughing up the cash, they bottled out. In future I should think it would be better to request "Cash with order". A great deal of work must have gone into organising the event and it must be dreadfully disappointing for those who set it all up, especially if the Club is committed to a fixed price contract and may lose money. I remember a Concours at Greenwich back around 1980 when it was difficult to find parking space. One is led to wonder if that is the problem. On the other hand, is it due to overnight accommodation availability/cost? 
Quote 0 0
TVJL
I did think that Greenwich was not a good idea from the off (and said so at the time).  :-\

Yes, the venue is lovely. Yes, it is nice (for some of us) that the concours is being held in London. But, once one moves outside the immediate area, one is surrounded by nastiness and multiple difficulties (the routes in and out are fraught and a wee bit tortuous and there are some very tough neighborhoods close by). And, there is the potential expense of overnight accommodation, which will be in relatively limited supply in close proximity to the site (I imagine).

I think that it must be soul-destroying for all those involved in the lengthy and complex job of putting everything in place for an event like this and it brings me absolutely no joy to learn of the current predicament. I'm not sure whether dropping the price will resolve the problem and get enough 'bums on seats' in time. Fingers crossed.

I do agree with astro that, for the future, a 'cash with order' stance has to be the right answer.
Quote 0 0
astro
Yes, I know the area very well and as you say the venue is surrounded by not so nice places and some rough characters. I recall that Mike Urban considered the venue some years back and for this and several other reasons, the idea was dropped. Access isn't good for some and I certainly wouldn't wish to leave my Aston unattended overnight.
Quote 0 0
Ockyclarke
TVJL wrote:

I did think that Greenwich was not a good idea from the off (and said so at the time).  :-\

Yes, the venue is lovely. Yes, it is nice (for some of us) that the concours is being held in London. But, once one moves outside the immediate area, one is surrounded by nastiness and multiple difficulties (the routes in and out are fraught and a wee bit tortuous and there are some very tough neighborhoods close by). And, there is the potential expense of overnight accommodation, which will be in relatively limited supply in close proximity to the site (I imagine).

I think that it must be soul-destroying for all those involved in the lengthy and complex job of putting everything in place for an event like this and it brings me absolutely no joy to learn of the current predicament. I'm not sure whether dropping the price will resolve the problem and get enough 'bums on seats' in time. Fingers crossed.

I do agree with astro that, for the future, a 'cash with order' stance has to be the right answer.

Good sales pitch  They should fly now
Paul
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Paul, with 2/3 days to go do you really think that it will make any difference what anyone says on here? I don't think that there's the slightest chance of that, I'm afraid. However, with a bit of luck the email that was sent out to everyone yesterday might just do the trick.
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Last time I was at Greenwich I ran away, 26 miles away in fact   ;D
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
John Purser
Did they catch you ? Were you wearing those trousers....?  
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
I ran pretty quickly, Jimmy Saville was running after me, probably wearing red trousers too!!!
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0