garrydb7
From only being established in 2011, the Donington Historic Festival is fast establishing itself as a must-go event. As well as fantastic historic racing, Donington offers one of the finest spectating experiences with great views over much of the circuit.

Donington Park has seen many unforgettable racing moments over the decades and, for 2013, the Festival is celebrating two particularly iconic ones; the 30th anniversary of the first time the late, great Ayrton Senna got behind the wheel of an F1 car, and the 20th anniversary of his extraordinary display of mastery over the rain in the 1993 European Grand Prix. This tribute to Senna, combined with the close-fought and exhilarating competition out on the track – with over 400 historic racing cars, spanning seven decades – looks set to prove a big draw for classic car enthusiasts from across the UK and internationally.

This is the first time that the Festival has been held over three days. On each day of the Festival gates open at 07.30am and the circuit activity starts at 9am, finishing at around 6pm on the Friday, 7.30pm on the Saturday and 6pm on the Sunday.

So the Social Committee is delighted to announce that AMOC Members have been invited once again to be part of the car club display, with our own dedicated infield area.

2 for 1 Club Ticket Offer & infield pass
Now spread over three days for the first time, racing will take place mainly on the Saturday and Sunday, with qualifying taking place mostly on the Friday. The provisional timetable will be announced soon. AMOC Members registered to attend the event benefit from a two-for-one ticket offer on advance tickets when they quote unique club code, below, at time of booking and will receive one infield pass for every pair of tickets you buy.

How to book tickets
The AMOC ticket booking deadline is midnight 19 April 2013. In both booking options, you will need the club code AMOCDHF13

•         Phone: the ticket hotline number is: 0844 873 7355 Members will need to quote the car club code to take advantage of the club offer

•         Website: http://www.doningtonhistoric.com At the home page, click on Advance Discounted Tickets and follow the instructions. Members must enter the club's unique offer code and press the ‘use code' button, then the prices on the page will change to our Club prices, rather than the full prices originally displayed.

Please note that car club discounted tickets are offered in multiples of two, and the price shown is the discounted price for one ticket. When you add two tickets to your basket, you will therefore be getting two tickets for the (full) price of one. If you want four tickets for the price of two full-priced ones, you must click '4'! Donington did have one or two people last year who got a little confused and consequently only bought half the amount of tickets they needed...

A booking fee per ticket and transaction fee per order will be applied by SEE tickets. Hence the transaction fee is a one off cost to cover postage and packing, irrespective if you order two tickets or 25.

SEE Tickets will automatically issue one infield parking pass for every pair of club tickets purchased. Please note that only Aston Martins are allowed to be part of the infield display – no other Member cars will be allowed.

My contact details will be in the next AM News, but you can DM from this forum

Garry Taylor
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Recently received more information, so here it is posted below:

REVVING UP FOR FANTASTIC ON-TRACK ACTION

Over the three-day weekend, more than 400 iconic racing cars will take to the track, battling it out in a packed programme of races that form a living motorsport museum, showcasing racing machinery from the 1980s back to the beginnings of Grand Prix competition.

The evocative spectacle of the pre-War Grand Prix cars in the HGPCA Nuvolari Trophy Race will take Donington Park back to its very earliest days, while the Historic F2 cars, Formula Junior, ‘1000km’ for sports-racing cars and the mighty Group C beasts all bring pure motor racing to this hugely popular circuit.

And some of the most beautiful road cars ever built will be seen as sports and touring cars spanning several decades take to the track for the JD Classics Challenge, U2TC, Masters pre-66 GT Gentlemen Drivers and Top Hat Touring Cars, E-type Challenge, Stirling Moss Trophy and Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy.

The on-track living motorsport museum becomes a ‘pop-up’ motorsport museum in the paddock, where spectators can get a really good look at the wildly diverse selection of some of finest historic racing cars in the world.

The following races are now confirmed for 2013 – full details of the race timetable will be published nearer the time. Racing will take place mainly on the Saturday and Sunday, with qualifying taking place mostly on the Friday.

• Group C sportscars
  • JD Classics Challenge for 66 to 85 Touring Cars
  • HSCC Historic F2
  • ’1000km’ for pre-72 sports-racing cars
  • U2TC, Pre-66 under two-litre Touring Cars
  • Masters pre-66 GT Gentlemen Drivers
  • Masters pre-66 Top Hat Touring Cars
  • E-type Challenge
  • Pre-63 GT
  • Formula Junior
  • Stirling Moss Trophy for pre-61 sportscars
  • Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy for pre-56 sportscars
  • HGPCA Nuvolari Trophy for pre-War Grand Prix cars

http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/

Discounted tickets are mentioned in my first post, and in AM News
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Latest info from DHF Press Office:

Senna tribute takes shape

The 2013 Donington Historic Festival is paying tribute to the late Ayrton Senna, marking the 30th anniversary of the first time Senna ever got behind the wheel of a Formula One car and the 20th anniversary of his phenomenal display of mastery over the rain in the 1993 European Grand Prix. Both events took place at Donington Park. Here's what's confirmed so far:

• Senna's first Formula One race car - the famous 1984 Toleman TG-184-02 Hart turbo - will form part of a special Senna display in the paddock. This is the car that Senna drove to a spectacular second place in the Monaco GP. He overtook Alain Prost for the lead, but heavy rain stopped the race the following lap, robbing Senna of his first Grand Prix win.

• Also on display in the paddock will be the 1986 JPS Lotus Renault Turbo in which Senna won the US GP at Detroit, plus the Donington Collection's own Williams FW08.

• In 1982 Senna won the British and European F2000 Championships, and was rewarded with a drive in the season-end F3 race in a Ralt RT3. He, famously, won the race, and that very car will be demonstrated at the Donington Historic Festival.

• We'll even have two rally cars - an MG Metro 6R4 and the Brooklyn Motorsport Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, both of which Senna test-drove in a Welsh forest in November 1986, for a feature that appeared in Car and Car Conversions magazine

Quote 0 0
Tim M
I'm hoping to be there but I doubt that I will be in my Aston---it will be flight and hire car!!
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
A reminder that this is the last month to get tickets and an infield pass for this event.

Deadline is midnight 19 April 2013

Club code for discounted tickets and how to book is in the first post, and AM News.
Quote 0 0
Martinjjones
Possibly a silly question. You can clearly enter in the code  and buy reduced price tickets without being a paid up member of AMOC. But can you park on the infield without having a paid up membership even though I have an Aston?
Quote 0 0
annereed
Hello Martin

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, anyone with an Aston is welcome, but I've sent a message to Garry Taylor, who is organising the event, to check.

Anne
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Martin.

You are correct. This year for some events we are inviting all Aston Martin owners whether AMOC Members or not.

Of course, as Aston Martin owners have integrity and dignity I am sure that non Members taking advantage of AMOC benefits would feel honour bound to join  the AMOC...

Garry
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Latest information received from Donington:

ENTERTAINMENT ON THE GROUND AND IN THE SKIES

As well as a packed programme of historic racing for all three days, the Ayrton Senna tribute and the historic rally car action, there will be a host of other attractions to keep visitors thoroughly entertained at the Festival.

Kevin Wheatcroft, the Chairman and owner of Donington Park, will take to the track each afternoon, giving demonstration laps in his replica of a 1937 Mercedes-Benz W125 Grand Prix car. This exceptional machine is the result of a long and extraordinary labour of love started by Kevin and his late father Tom, the founder of Donington Park and the Donington Park Grand Prix Collection.

In the course of exhaustive research for the project, Kevin stumbled upon a complete set of working drawings for the original W125. He then had two further pieces of remarkable good fortune: the Schlumpf Collection allowed him to borrow one of its legendary Silver Arrows – fittingly, the very W125 that Hermann Lang raced in the 1937 Donington Grand Prix – and Formula One’s Bernie Ecclestone gave access to his own, restored W125, the only example in private hands.

Kevin and Tom’s team spent thousands of hours measuring every single component and collating an enormous amount of information. This meticulous work was carried through to the final build, with the car being built to original specification down to the most minute of details by the craftsmen at Crosthwaite & Gardiner and Roach Engineering. Just five of these replica 1937 W125 Grand Prix cars will be built, each taking 18,000 hours to manufacture, with the process beginning with a single, raw billet of aluminium.

This wonderful replica doesn’t just look exactly like the original, it also sounds and smells the same. The sight of it being driven around the Midlands circuit is sure to evoke thoughts of the late 1930s, when the Silver Arrows drove to victory at Donington as they continued their domination of Grand Prix racing across Europe.

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight takes to the skies
The sounds of powerful historic engines are, of course, everywhere at the Donington Historic Festival and, as the circuit is adjacent to East Midlands Airport, the sights and sounds of modern-day aircraft are also a regular occurrence. At this year’s Festival, the aviation and historic elements will combine, with a flypast from the Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Weather permitting, Festival visitors on the Friday will be treated to the sight of the magnificent Douglas C-47 Dakota in the skies above Donington Park, while spectators on the Saturday and Sunday will enjoy see the stunning sight – and sound – of a Lancaster, a Spitfire and a Hurricane flying together.

Car clubs set to shine
With around 60 car clubs, from Abarthisti to Z Club of Great Britain, now registered to attend the Festival, Donington Park’s infield will be home to a veritable A-Z of motoring for the weekend.

Highlights will include the Porsche Club GB’s Sunday parade of 50 911s, celebrating that hugely popular model’s 50th anniversary, and the ‘Super Samuri’ gathering. This will see the Classic Z Register and Z Club joining forces to bring together not just plenty of classic Datsun 240Zs and 260Zs, but also as many examples of the famous ‘Samuri conversion’ racing cars as possible. ‘Big Sam’ – the car in which Win Percy won the 1974 British Modified Sports Car Championship, before he went on to achieve Touring Car glory – will be there, as will Win himself, showcasing his own Samuri.

Note: AMOC ticket deadline 19 April 2013
Quote 0 0
Tim M
I was there when Fangio drove one round the track in the 1980s.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Another reminder.

The closing date for tickets and infield parking is midnight Friday 19 April 2013
Quote 0 0
DB5311
My calender shows 19th April 2013 is a Friday 
Quote 0 0
Gibberish
Yes, tickets booked, looking forward to it. Just wondering if there are many other Area 3 members attending?... 
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
DB5311 wrote:

My calender shows 19th April 2013 is a Friday 

Whoops! Now corrected. It is Friday 19 April
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Now deadline has passed, it looks like 18 cars for Friday, 33 for Saturday and 33 for Sunday, based on 1 car per pair of tickets sold and on the assumption that anybody buying a 3-day ticket will turn up on all 3 days, so maximum numbers.

Last year we had 12 for Saturday and 17 Sunday. There was no Friday event last year.

Look forward to seeing you there!
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Received a Club stand map. The AMOC is at IN2, the Blue area on the LHS.

Seems to be a good vantage point and nice all round area.

See attached map

I will be there from Thursday afternoon to Sunday, and the Club Secretary Marc Aylott from Saturday afternoon. Look forward to seeing you.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Couple of short YouTube videos from the AMOC display on Saturday 4 May. First one is of cars returning to AMOC display after being on the track parade. Other is of a Battle of Britain flypast.

More will be posted for Sunday, with photos and report on the Monday.

#ws

#ws
Quote 0 0
Colin McKenzie
Just a note to say Thanks to everyone who organised at AMOC and Donington, a good meeting which has got better each year. Enjoyed meeting fellow AMOC members and looking forward to catching up again. Sad the event finished so tragically.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
colinmckenzie wrote:

Just a note to say Thanks to everyone who organised at AMOC and Donington, a good meeting which has got better each year. Enjoyed meeting fellow AMOC members and looking forward to catching up again. Sad the event finished so tragically.

Thank you Colin. Pleased to read you enjoyed the day, but as you say, the event had to close on the Sunday late afternoon due to the very sad news. When such tragic news happens at the actual event one is attending, you do realise how vulnerable our lives are and how it can be taken away in an instant. My thoughts are with the family and friends of the driver.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
I had a great time (even if I was only in a Corsa!). Well done Garry and team and a special thanks to Edwin who was kind enough to let me join him as a passenger on his laps of the track.
Very sad news that one of the Mini drivers lost his life during the event.

A couple of photos of the Fly-pasts that Garry so expertly organised.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
A rather atmospheric shot of the gathering.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Finally one of Robert Rawe's latest acquisition---Nice!
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Thanks Tim for posting the pics. Still sorting through mine!

You've won the  Member Most Travelled Award, even though it was by Easyjet  and hire car. It's the effort that's commended.

Please contact Club HQ to choose between key fob or polyester tie...
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Hey chaps, We got our photo in the latest edition of Classic Car Weekly (15/5/. No red trousers to be seen!
With the use of a magnifying glass you can see a rather suave looking gent at the back of the DB5 
Quote 0 0