stevekilloran
Attended today’s event and while it was great to catch up with old friends and make new while wandering around the vast array of cars, I have to say my wife and I were very disappointed with the lack of catering facilities which meant very long queues for an early cup of coffee or the members glass of champagne. She was also disappointed that the house was not open to view!

In addition what happened to usual vast array of supporting trade stands that normally attend these events?

I know we all rely on the goodwill of a small number of willing volunteers but this is one of the premier manufacturers clubs so come on please AMOC surely you can do better?
Quote 0 0
duncan_wd
Valid comments Steve and I'm sure our new management team under Anne will take note. Fortunately we still had a fantastic day.
Lifes not a trial run. Do it don't wish it!

Area 9 North West England
Quote 1 0
rcfurse
The comedy team at the club did an excellent job. Parking the wonderful display of Vanquishes on the hill and getting them to reverse into position on wet grass uphill was good for a real chuckle.
Seriously though what a great display and venue.
Quote 1 0
MatthewRobinson

I have to say I do echo Steve’s comments regarding the catering.  I was surprised that there weren’t more concessions on the field especially up by the house. However, as a first-time visitor to the Concours I wasn’t too sure what to expect and I have to say as a lone visitor, which cost £30, I was disappointed.  Perhaps I expected other stands to make it more of an event, just a comment.

Quote 1 0
geewizzpip
Seems 'lessons learned' haven't.
Quote 0 0
Purest Green
Anne has set up a specific "Feedback Request" thread to allow you make constructive comments (positive or negative) so please use that if you can rather than run a "parallel" thread here... (or on Pistonheads, which may not be read by the AMOC/AMHT team that organises future events).

Many thanks.

Jamie
Jamie A.
Member of AMOC Social and Concours Sub-Committees
Principal Judge, Concours, NP 12 Cylinder
AMOC Area 00
Quote 0 0
Ian Postles
I am not sure if you have seen Anne’s post seeking feedback but it would say to me that they are more than happy to hear constructive feedback to improve things in the future. She appears to have taken on board the criticisms here and I hope that bodes well for the future.

If you have read this months AM News you will also see that Dawn has resigned so I would think that that would also have impacted upon this event.

Quote 0 0
anthonyoade
I have just replied to similar comments on PH and have welcomed comments.

Although I joined PH a long time ago I have not really been active, but I accept the benefit in reaching all Aston people and think it will be beneficial to be on there.

We want to keep moving forward and improve as necessary, but I know we will never please all the people all the time, but I think we should listen to all comments and try.

Ed has just replied suggesting I update my profile there as not many will know me as ALO which I will try and do, but I did not want to sound too pompous by putting a title there.

Anthony
Quote 0 0
Ian Postles
Perhaps what you could do is just put the “pompous” bit in your profile rather than user name. I know quite a few people check profiles to get more of a feel to what people are saying. May be worth thinking about. I agree you do not want to match people’s stereotype of AMOC but at the same time it would be good for people to know AMOC are listening.
Quote 0 0
anthonyoade
Thanks Ian
Quote 0 0
dwootton
Well, this was our first Aston concourse as we have only had our car since Jan and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the event.
We arrived at Englefield around 10.00, parked up alongside another V12V and headed for the gardens. We knew the house wasn’t open as that was clearly stated on all of the comms around the event. We loved the gardens btw. We then looked around all the cars, loving the Vanquish display, followed my the members cars.
We didn’t miss the lack of catering, as the weather was perfect for a picnic :-).

So from our perspective, we really enjoyed the day. For me the only things that were missing was a few of the rarer Astons such as One-77, 1980s Zagato, but that’s nitpicking

So well, knowing how much effort it takes pulling these events together and that there will always be areas to improve on, well done for an enjoyable event.
Quote 1 0
Rich5ltr
Are the results going to be posted? I assume this is the thread to be looking at? 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
MPD
Rich5ltr wrote:
Are the results going to be posted? I assume this is the thread to be looking at? 

https://forum.amoc.org/post/results-2018-concours-englefield-house-9761410?pid=1304455446
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
It would be nice to have a "member's guest" rate.  As it was, I paid £30 for myself and £35 for my daughter and grandson's car so we could come from different directions (Bristol and London) and meet up for a nice picnic surrounded by lovely cars.  Which we did.

Galling though to arrive after midday to find no stewards, so no champagne voucher, and no directions to appropriate parking place.  I appreciate about volunteers, etc, etc, but in all quite a steep day out. I did manage to park my non-Aston in the Aston field though.

How about £X for the member and £half X for accompanying non-member guest?
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
MPD

Just a note from me as a volunteer and organiser of Concours for 12 years.

As you are aware, Dawn Scantlebury and the Social Committee took over the running of Concours from me in July 2017 but resigned in April of 2018.

Anne asked Martin Coleman to form a Concours Committee, I was asked to take over and run this event, with Martin shadowing me, and I wish him the best for the future.

With only six weeks to go before the Concours, with the fantastic assistance of HQ staff and very few volunteers on the day, we managed to put together one of the largest Concours events we had organised for many years.

In 2017 I met with Bonhams at Englefield and negotiated that they would cover the entire facility fee if they wished to coincide their auction with our Concours, to which they agreed.

We only ascertained a week before the event was that Bonhams had given sole rights to their outside caterers ‘Wild Fork’ as an incentive to ‘pitch-up’, as I was wanted to contract some outside caterers.

I sent an email to Bonhams and the caterer advising the lessons of what 12 years experience running Concours had taught me. I recommended that whatever quantity of food they were expecting to sell, they should at least double it and employ more staff to sell it, as I was concerned about the lack of catering outlets and the queues that may ensue.

At other venues, we’ve always advised event managers to employ more catering staff and seriously stock up on food supplies, because they would undoubtedly be inundated with customers. None of them ever seems to grasp this until it’s too late. Marc Aylott will confirm the number of times he has heard me, in no uncertain terms, advising the venue managers over the years about this.

At Woburn Abbey in 2015, after proffering this advice on various occasions, the restaurant ran out of food at 11:30 am, and there was a 45-minute wait for a cup of tea.

Wild Fork catering contractors, contacted by Bonhams, assured that they would easily cope.

The attendance at this events was unprecedented.

A few days before the event, an email went from HQ to all UK members reminding them of the Concours. Maybe it was because the sun appeared on the day, the upshot, we had over 400 Aston Martins in attendance.

Pre-war 8
Display cars 6
Vanquish display 45
Concours entrants 75
Judges/officials 20
Pre-purchased 150
Gate purchases 140

TOTAL ASTON MARTINS 444

I estimate that we had well over 1,000 people in attendance. A far cry from 15 years ago when ago when we were lucky to get a dozen entrants and 30 cars visiting.

Concours has grown into a monster that’s slowly eating us.

We are not a concierge service, nor are we are a professional events management team. Very few members volunteer to assist. I, with a handful of other members, give up our time willingly to try to put on a good show, even our Deputy Chairman stood at the gate for 4 hours stewarding members into the grounds in sweltering heat.

I was still at Englefield 3 hours after the prize-giving with the all the HQ staff and just a few volunteers, taking down the marquess and packing the van. Well done and thanks to those who helped.

Fortunately, this weekend-long event made a healthy surplus for the Club, without any contribution from the Lockton commission, which can be carried forward to fund the autumn event.

I agree it is disappointing when the champagne runs out.

...or you may have to line up for your free coffee longer than you would at Starbucks.

...or there’s no one on hand to help you park.

...or there’s no one available to give you a neck massage, but please give a thought for the volunteers, who give up their time, maybe weeks in advance to make this event enjoyable for you.

If you did attend, thanks for coming and we hope that you had an enjoyable time. If you’d like to volunteer at Club events, we’d love to hear from you. Please contact Marc Aylott or Christine Howson at Club HQ.

Quote 3 0
Prattking
In spite of the few shortcomings it was still a fabulous day and I think Mark is due a big thank you for a great event. OK, so I had to go without a neck massage but I can live with that. [smile]
Quote 1 0
DB PHiL
Sorry I missed you Trevor, see you at the next event,... I didn't get a massage either, but I did get a glass of shampoo. [smile]

On another note, should this thread be merged with Annes feedback thread, as Mark has has answered questions ( & suggestions) arrisen on there?
Quote 0 0
rcfurse
Mark,
I would like to commend you for picking up the pieces and pulling the parts together to provide a fabulous day. Thanks to the inumerable unsuing and unseen volunteers.
I share your frustration when the caterers don't listen and get overwhelemed but your hands were tied by Bonhams. The champagne always runs out. Even if the Club provided twice as much it would run out!  The solution is to bring your own which should hardly be an impediment to most owners.
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Bravo, Mark. Very well done and a big thanks to all who helped. And a profit, too. [crazy]
Quote 0 0
astro
Mark, my friend, with the greatest respect I would suggest that your comment regarding attendance numbers of 15 years ago were very low is somewhat misleading. Don't you remember Waddesdon in 2002 when we had a new record of over 300 Astons in attendance and (I think) about 65 cars competing  ( that was at a time when the total AMOC membership was much lower too). My late wife and I organised 14 Concours so I know how much work goes into it all. I'm sure all our members appreciate your splendid efforts but I wanted to set the record straight.

Hampton Court was also  fantastically well patronised too but that was perhaps due to the free bubbles,canapes, cake and sandwiches etc, courtesy of UBS who had done a special deal with our Club. I still have a super video of it all.

On a slightly different tack, I note that you have made a good profit for our Club. Things have changed a lot it seems. I used to sit in C of M meetings (there was no Concours committee in those days), and try to persuade the other club officials to let me engage various attractions such as a brass band or good catering facilities. I was always refused permission to do this because the increased cost was considered unacceptable. Even the issue of winners rosettes was considered an unnecessary expense. I was always pressured to  merely cover the cost which I believe I always did, give or take a few quid. 

Well done for turning this around, but perhaps we are now in danger of overpricing things. I may not be active in Aston events for a while due to adverse health but I still get feedback from quite a few members who seem to feel that it has all become too expensive. Or am I just a grumpy old xxxx who hasn't moved with the times?
I sincerely hope that you are not offended by my words Mark, If it had not been for you reminding me to set the front wheels of my V8 Coupe straight before judging, I would probably not have been an Elite class winner several years ago. 
Quote 1 0
rcfurse
Mark, there is mention that the event made a profit. Can we be told how the numbers worked out? Frankly I would be delighted if the Club just covered its costs.
Quote 0 0
MPD
astro wrote:
Mark, my friend, with the greatest respect I would suggest that your comment regarding attendance numbers of 15 years ago were very low is somewhat misleading. Don't you remember Waddesdon in 2002 when we had a new record of over 300 Astons in attendance and (I think) about 65 cars competing  ( that was at a time when the total AMOC membership was much lower too). My late wife and I organised 14 Concours so I know how much work goes into it all. I'm sure all our members appreciate your splendid efforts but I wanted to set the record straight.

Hampton Court was also  fantastically well patronised too but that was perhaps due to the free bubbles,canapes, cake and sandwiches etc, courtesy of UBS who had done a special deal with our Club. I still have a super video of it all.

On a slightly different tack, I note that you have made a good profit for our Club. Things have changed a lot it seems. I used to sit in C of M meetings (there was no Concours committee in those days), and try to persuade the other club officials to let me engage various attractions such as a brass band or good catering facilities. I was always refused permission to do this because the increased cost was considered unacceptable. Even the issue of winners rosettes was considered an unnecessary expense. I was always pressured to  merely cover the cost which I believe I always did, give or take a few quid. 

Well done for turning this around, but perhaps we are now in danger of overpricing things. I may not be active in Aston events for a while due to adverse health but I still get feedback from quite a few members who seem to feel that it has all become too expensive. Or am I just a grumpy old xxxx who hasn't moved with the times?
I sincerely hope that you are not offended by my words Mark, If it had not been for you reminding me to set the front wheels of my V8 Coupe straight before judging, I would probably not have been an Elite class winner several years ago. 

Peter, sincere apologies, and in no way meant to undermine the excellent job you did running Concours. You were in fact responsible for the start of the reformation of Concours in the AMOC and I remember the 2003 event well. I judged Elite Class and Gary Williams achieved one of the highest scores with his DB6 he renovated himself, with the assistance of the tooling at British Airways maintenance department where he worked the night shift. 

Time flies and the event I recall was in fact 20 years ago, not 15. I was there as an entrant in my V8 X-pack in very muddy field on the inner circuit of Donington. 6 Judges and a dozen cars if I remember rightly.

Thanks for everything you did for the Club my friend. You would always be welcome back in any capacity you wish.

Quote 0 0
MPD
rcfurse wrote:
Mark, there is mention that the event made a profit. Can we be told how the numbers worked out? Frankly I would be delighted if the Club just covered its costs.

It was indeed my intention to ensure that the event 'washed its face'. The promotion we did was more effective than we had imagined and members came out in their droves, with the help of the sunshine.

Christine (HQ) did a great job promoting the International Dinner, which was a sell-out, as was the lunch the next day.

Not having to pay a facility fee to Englefield also reduced our outgoings.

Draft figures are currently showing an £11,000 surplus, after expenses.

HQ Staff costs over the two days will need to be deducted from this figure.

We did not use any of the Lockton commission.

If we had known that the attendance was going to be so high, we would have considered reducing the entry cost. That said, we will need a surplus to carry forward to the autumn event to cover costs of this being so far from the Home Counties and this will ensure

I very much enjoyed being involved in this event and wish Martin Coleman the very best with running Concours in the future.

Quote 0 0
astro
Mark my old friend, After I made my posting it occurred to me that you were thinking of some slightly earlier events, I do remember the wet and muddy Donington which was very disappointing, so clearly the whole situation has changed immeasurably. I have to say thank you for the immense effort you have put in. Concours has now become a bit of a monster nowadays and frankly it must be getting very difficult to manage. Good luck to anyone who picks up the baton next.
Many thanks for your kind acknowledgement: who knows, I might still enter an Aston again sometime ( if I can find someone who likes polishing for me!!!!).
Kindest regards, Peter

Quote 1 0
tony-hall-40
I,m still waiting for my cornetto.....a disgrace that 2 weeks on still not got one....😱😜
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0