garrydb7
The second Donington Historic Festival, a major fixture on the international historic racing calendar, will take place on Saturday 5th May and Sunday 6th May 2012, and we are delighted to announce that the AMOC have been invited to display at this event for the first time.

As well as more than 300 world-class historic racing cars competing flat-out on the Donington circuit, the 2012 event will see 100s of classic cars on display, plus a trade village and plenty of off-track entertainment, including historic karting, taking place on a specially laid-out circuit using the Donington GP loop, and featuring some 150 historic karts, including machines originally campaigned by Graham Hill and Ayrton Senna.

On-track in 2012 the race action will see more than 300 iconic racing cars battling it out in a packed programme of historic races from the 30s to the 80s, with wildly diverse grids that range from Group A Touring Cars to Group C sportscars, taking in pre-63 GTs, 1950s and 1960s sportscars, pre-War cars and much more besides.
The provisional timetable is as follows:

Saturday, May 5th
09:00 – 13.20         Qualifying
13:20 - 14:10         Lunch Break / Demonstrations
14:10 - 14:55         ‘Mad Jack’ for pre-War sportscars
15:10 - 15:35         HSCC Historic F2 - Race 1
15:50 - 16:50         RAC Woodcote Trophy for pre-56 sportscars
17:05 - 17:35         E-type Challenge - Race 1
17:50 - 18:30         JD Classics Challenge for 1966 to 1985 Touring Cars
18:45 - 19:45         ‘1,000km’ for pre-72 sports-racing cars

Sunday, May 6th
09:00 – 10:50         Qualifying
11:05 - 11:35         E-type Challenge - Race 2
11:50 - 12:50         Stirling Moss Trophy for pre-61 sportscars
12:50 - 13:50         Lunch Break / Demonstrations
13:50 - 14:15         HSCC Historic F2 - Race 2
14:30 - 15:30         Pre-63 GT
15:45 - 16:45         Group C sportscars
17:00 - 18:00         U2TC, Pre-66 under two-litre Touring Cars

Camping
There's good news for Members who want to stay really close to the action for the whole weekend - camping will be available on the Donington Park site itself, outside the circuit wall, close to Gate 20. It costs £20 per person for the weekend (1pm Friday, May 4th – 1pm Monday, May 7th), regardless of whether the campers bring a caravan, motorhome or tent. Camping tickets are available for purchase in advance only (see ticket purchasing, below).

Tickets
The Festival organisers are offering Members a special entry package, to include a two-for-one entry ticket deal (exclusively for pre-booking), along with dedicated Member's parking and club display areas, right in the centre of the action, next to the race paddock and trade village. We have registered our interest to be part of the Track Parade.

This gives entry to two people for one day of the Festival for just £18 (i.e. £9 each), or for the whole weekend for just £30 (i.e. £15 each) when they book in advance, as opposed to the on-the-gate entry price of £25 per person per day (£40 for the weekend) – and bookers pay a total transaction fee of just £1.50 for the whole order, regardless of how many tickets they buy. PLUS ticket holders can are eligible to buy two-for-one entry to the Donington Grand Prix Collection over the weekend and for the following two months. And for every pair of advance discounted tickets car club members buy, they'll receive a car parking pass for the infield AMOC display area.

Entry tickets and camping tickets can be booked through http://www.doningtonhistoric.com or by calling the 24-hour ticket hotline 0844 873 7355. You must quote our unique club code, AMOCDHF12 and book in advance to secure the discount. Up to 20 tickets can be booked in any one online transaction; larger quantities must be bought via the phone hotline. Important – AMOC bookings must be made by midnight on Friday, April 20th. For more information on the Donington Historic Festival, see http://www.doningtonhistoric.com

As the Event Manager, I will be, well, managing the event, so any further news will appear in AM News and on the Forum. Meanwhile, the Circuit map is attached below.

Garry Taylor
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
For those of you that use Twitter, tweets are posted from the Donington Historic at

http://www.twitter.com/@donington_hist
Quote 0 0
Webby
Thanks Gary. I've followed it via the AMOC Twitter account so, if you're following AMOC on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/@AMOCforum you'll also receive updates from the Donington Historic.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
We are now in April, so wanted to remind you that the ticket deadline for this event is

Midnight Friday 20 April 2012

Please see the first post for full details of this event and how to book with the AMOC code etc. and be part of the AMOC infield display area.

Further information just arrived is that on the Sunday of the Festival, Sir Stirling Moss will be giving demonstration laps at lunchtime in the C-type Jaguar in which he won the 1952 Reims Grand Prix for sportscars. This was the first-ever race victory in a disc-braked car, a landmark event which cemented the Jaguar marque’s reputation for innovative engineering and helped to make disc brakes the universal technology they are today. Stirling will also be signing autographs on the Sunday.

Other star cars and drivers due to appear over the Festival weekend include Le Mans and Daytona 24 Hours winner and ex-Formula One driver Jackie Oliver, while Lukas Hüni will drive his SEFAC Ferrari 250 GT SWB – the car that Ricardo and Pedro Rodriguez took to victory in the 1000km of Paris in 1961. Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits and ‘Sultans of Swing’ fame, will be sharing his AC Ace with Alain de Cadenet. And keep an eye out for Jonathan Turner’s fabulous 1935 Squire Short Chassis in the ‘Mad Jack’ race for pre-War sportscars.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Reminder that 2 for 1 ticket sales and AMOC car display passes (of Members Aston Martins) close at midnight this Friday 20 April 2012

I will just repeat below the ticket information, but full information on the event is at the first posting under this Subject.

Tickets
The Festival organisers are offering Members a special entry package, to include a two-for-one entry ticket deal (exclusively for pre-booking), along with dedicated Member's parking and club display areas, right in the centre of the action, next to the race paddock and trade village. We have registered our interest to be part of the Track Parade.

This gives entry to two people for one day of the Festival for just £18 (i.e. £9 each), or for the whole weekend for just £30 (i.e. £15 each) when they book in advance, as opposed to the on-the-gate entry price of £25 per person per day (£40 for the weekend) – and bookers pay a total transaction fee of just £1.50 for the whole order, regardless of how many tickets they buy. PLUS ticket holders can are eligible to buy two-for-one entry to the Donington Grand Prix Collection over the weekend and for the following two months. And for every pair of advance discounted tickets car club members buy, they'll receive a car parking pass for the infield AMOC display area.

Entry tickets and camping tickets can be booked through http://www.doningtonhistoric.com or by calling the 24-hour ticket hotline 0844 873 7355. You must quote our unique club code, AMOCDHF12 and book in advance to secure the discount. Up to 20 tickets can be booked in any one online transaction; larger quantities must be bought via the phone hotline. Important – AMOC bookings must be made by midnight on Friday, April 20th. For more information on the Donington Historic Festival, see http://www.doningtonhistoric.com
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
From the Daily Telegraph:

Stirling Moss to drive GP-winning Jaguar C-type
First ever win by a disc-braked car will be recreated at the Donington Historic Festival on May 6

Stirling Moss to drive GP winning Jaguar C type

Don't forget that the offer of discounted tickets for AMOC Members expires this Friday 20 April 2012 at midnight See previous posts for details or in AM News
Quote 0 0
V8 Animal
Is there a list on this website of members attending this meet or any other meets?
Quote 0 0
Webby
I've been given no such list. ???
Quote 0 0
V8 Animal
Webby wrote:

I've been given no such list. ???

So no one knows how many are going to turn up on the Saturday or Sunday?
Quote 0 0
Webby
Presumably the organisers do but they haven't shared that information with me.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Last night I received the latest and presumably final figures from Donington.

Members have bought 56 tickets, and assuming a pair of tickets means one car, this equates to 28 cars.

Some are going just on Saturday, some on Sunday, and some both days. It appears we have 16 cars for Saturday and 19 for Sunday.
Quote 0 0
V8 Animal
Thanks for the info im going on the Sunday
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
V8 Animal wrote:

Thanks for the info im going on the Sunday

Great and look forward to seeing you. I will be there all weekend as the AMOC Rep
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Numbers have crept up slightly with 17 cars on Saturday and 20 for Sunday.

Also delighted to announce that my request for a Parade Lap on each day has succeeded, and we are able to have 3 cars pedaling around the Donington Circuit on each day. I have the contact details of everyone that has booked tickets, so will be contacting them over the weekend to judge interest in taking part.

Garry
Quote 0 0
warrior
Well done Garry. I am delighted that Astons are well represented throughout the weekend - I hope you all have a great weekend. There will be a few Astons racing according to the entry list including Gillian and myself in the Pre 63 GT race on the Sunday with a maroon DB4GT which some may have seen racing in the past at Classic LeMans and abroad in the USA. We will try and get across to see you all at some time in the Aston area! JG
Quote 0 0
Tim M
I'll be there too but sadly not in my Aston---look forward to meeting some of you.
Quote 0 0
V8 Animal
Enjoyed the day it was good to meet you Gary thanks for arranging the weekend
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Had a very good 2 days at Donington--Bruno was busy, Our new Chairman had a good race, the Aston AMR1 won the Group C race, The DBR1 won the Pre 61 sports car race but Robert Rawe had brake problems and might have had to hitch a lift home !
The Club area was well represented particularly by DB7Vs and V8s of the 70/80s variety (well done guys).  
Saturday was bloody freezing but Sunday was much pleasanter.
The Team  I was with had 2 Class wins in the E type Challenge and a 3rd in class in the U2TC saloon race, considerably better than our result at Silverstone last year. Mark Knopfler was next to us in the Paddock so I had a chat to him when he came back from his race in the AC--He had a big grin on his face, despite the fact that the steering wheel had come loose in a big way!
I'll post some photos later.  
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Just a quick post to thank Members for attending the Donington Historic Festival, for we did have a good display of cars. Also as Tim M indicated, Saturday was frigging freezing and may have put some Members off as we had 12 cars instead of the expected 17, but Sunday in a much nicer sunny (and far warmer!) environment attract more.

I will post some display photos and a report later. Meanwhile thank you V8 Animal for the kind words.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Some photos.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
and some more.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
AMOC at the Donington Historic Festival – a personal report.

Over the 5 and 6 May Bank Holiday weekend, the AMOC were invited to be part of the car club displays for the 2nd Donington Historic Festival. This was our first visit.

With the consistent rain bashing the UK for what seemed like weeks, the Donington weekend was surprisingly dry, except for a short sharp hail shower on Saturday. And “hail” was there was because Saturday was incredibly cold. Added with a significant wind, it was very cold throughout the day. Your intrepid SoCom Donington Event Manager was often seen under a thick coat, hood, scarf and gloves. Or maybe seen I was not under that lot.

On the Saturday, I arrived at 7.30am to set up the flags, gazebo etc. and the first car club member arrived.  In a Porsche and not an AMOC Member. The AMOC were privileged to have a fantastic display area right opposite the pit straight and yards away from the start line. Porsche Man also thought it was a fantastic spot and helped himself. “Excuse me, this is for Aston Martin OC cars only” I offered to the Porker Driver “Oh yea – where does it say that?” He snapped back.

“Well, there are two Donington AMOC plaques at each end; there is a 4ft x 3ft banner in front of you, and surrounded by 30ft of AMOC bunting. Plus over there is a flag” I explained having dipped into my very low reserves of charm, tact and diplomacy.  He was not going to move. Having realised that I no longer had any charm, tact and diplomacy left, I went for the Garry Taylor Default Option. He moved.

Although, bitterly cold and grey, approximately 12 Members parked up on the Saturday. During the lunch break, four Members pedalled their Aston Martins around the circuit a couple of times as part of the parade lap. Needless to say, this was heavily policed with pace cars stopping some more, cough, enthusiastic driving. However, in the best traditions of the AMOC, a green Vanquish did leave enough room in front of him, to allow deep carpet penetration of the throttle, leaving a lovely noise behind!

During the morning and early afternoon, I did managed to erect a gazebo (with much needed help from my neighbours – thank you guys from Bentley OC and Derbyshire Mini Cooper Club), but by afternoon, the wind was likely to lift the gazebo upwards to be a risk for the aircraft landing at East Midlands airport next door. After much swearing, and hardly feeling my hands, it was down.

Sunday was sunny and warm! Such a transformation from the previous day.  It was pleasant enough that some Members opened the wine etc. and enjoyed an impromptu picnic by the cars. And what a lovely display we had on Sunday of approximately 17 cars, ranging from a DB2, early red DBS, DB5, V8’s from NP, right up to the current Gaydon catalogue. Members of the public really did seem to enjoy the cars with many photos being taken, with comments of “One day!”

We very nearly had a TVR as part of the display. At one point when my back was turned, clearly TVR Man, took envy of our spot and parked himself there. “Excuse me, this is for Aston Martins only” His response? “Well, if you can find me a spot in the TVR Car Club I will move” Having already known that overnight my reserves of tact etc. were not replenished, I naturally resorted to the GT Default Option. He moved.

During lunch hour, three Members were to take their cars on the Sunday parade lap. The parade looked wonderful, and I am grateful to those who took part in the Sunday one, and who understood why their parade was a rather short affair, being just one lap- for a crash in the E-type race on Sunday morning obviously put Donington all behind schedule, and they had to pinch bits of time here and there throughout the day in order to keep as close as possible to the original timetable. That is, of course, the nature of motor racing, and I am glad to say that both the drivers who were hospitalised after the incident were released the same day, with one hardy soul actually returning to the circuit.

I managed to escape a few times, and enjoyed the paddock area, and I will post some photos from there as well as the AMOC display.

I want to thank all the AMOC Members that joined us for our first visit, especially the brave souls suffering the cold on the Saturday.  I look forward to seeing you again next year, but particularly looking forward to meeting members of the TVR and Porsche clubs…

Garry Taylor.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Well done Gary, I was the bloke in the cowboy hat who came and had a chat.
Quote 0 0
garrydb7
Tim M wrote:

Well done Gary, I was the bloke in the cowboy hat who came and had a chat.

Ah yes, I remember. Thanks and great to meet you - plus thanks for posting some pics on here.
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Garry Taylor wrote:
I want to thank all the AMOC Members that joined us for our first visit, especially the brave souls suffering the cold on the Saturday.  I look forward to seeing you again next year, but particularly looking forward to meeting members of the TVR and Porsche clubs…
I'm a member of the TVRCC so I'll say hello at the next event
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0