williamsderbys Show full post »
john curtis
It's gone very quiet in this thread.
Perhaps a word from Nick Brimblecombe as to where he is with the Aston grid??
The application forms for les Remparts are out now.
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Just bringing this back to the top again.
Have e mailed and PM'd Nick Brimblecombe, but no reply as yet.
Anyone in the Club know if an Aston race is being planned.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I will ask around.
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Bonjour from the Charente. (from Nick Brimblecombe)

I am asking a neighbour who is a member to kindly post this for me as I seem to be having access problems on the Forum currently, which I hope can be resolved soon.

There has been quite a lot happening in Angouleme recently concerning the management and responsibility for the Circuit des Remparts, the intimate and political details of which, like the innards of modern motor car electronics, need not concern the detached observer who is only really concerned with whether the thing works or not.

Hopefully the Remparts, which is intrinsically a great event, will carry itself through these fairly local machinations, which are necessary to rid it of some persistent problems.

So, the event is confirmed for 2007 on the weekend of 14, 15 & 16 September and with the usual format of a Concours d’Elegance on Friday evening, a Touring Rally with lunch on Saturday, Concours d’Etat on Saturday afternoon and competitors buffet on Saturday evening, then the practice and races on Sunday as normal with 8 grids planned.

These 8 grids are intended to be as follows:

·         Up to 1930 Sports
·         Up to 1940 Sports
·         Grand Prix Bugatti
·         Jaguar XK’s as raced in the XK Championship (full)
·         1950’s sportscars
·         Formula Junior
·         GT, GTS, GTP Cars (Porsche 911’s etc.)
·         Touring cars

Now, to where we may be with a pre-war Aston Martin grid for 2008? This is an idea, I am pleased to say, which germinated from ideas within this Forum. Having discussed this at some length a while ago with Jean-Louis Mathieu (aka J-L Davier), who sometime intervenes on the forum too, and again this last weekend, I have been asked to coordinate this idea properly, starting now, for the 2008 edition of the Remparts.

This I am happy to do here at the Angouleme end, provided I have one person in the UK to work with who has authority from the body of potential participants (is it a Register within the AMOC, or just an informal group of those who like to compete with their cars?).

I spoke with Andy Bell at Ecurie Bertelli during the Stoneleigh show this March , who I feel is now on board to assist in this objective.

There is quite a lot involved to be sure it works as there are still shifting sands within the organisation here locally and also I need to ensure the best hotel rooms and other arrangements are made available at an early date before they sell out - which I can ensure as long as people make their arrangements through the Grand Touring Club – see my earlier posts.

We have arranged the Frazer Nash grids several times in the past, the Lagonda Club grid in 2006 and are arranging the Jaguar XK grid this year. Also we bring about 120 people annually to Angouleme, so I believe our track record of making good and reliable arrangements for this meeting, amongst many others, is well-known.

So, I am ready to get down to work on this task as soon as I start to get more feedback from the Pre-war racing fraternity. I hope we can attract the best cars – and a great grid in September 2008!

A bientôt.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Great stuff John. This is shaping up to be a great event, and an even better one next year  ;D
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Just to keep things on the boil, here is the 2007 poster.
Launched today at 10.30

Quote 0 0
john curtis
All is far too quiet here!
Is anyone coming over?
I shall pitch up to watch the start of the rallye on Saturday and will be around the circuit on Sunday.
Latest on the site, check out
http://www.circuit-des-remparts.com/

The grids will be announced any day now and will I imagine be posted.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Circumstances have overtaken me John. Take lots of pictures!
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Grids are now on the website.
Are any Members doing the rallye?
Will look out for you at the start.
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Apart from LS&S there seems to be no interest in this event.
Anyhow if you want to see the grids they are here on this excellent website Mémoire des Stands
Look under Sept 5th
http://memoiresdestands.hautetfort.com/
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Excellent turnout of cars for the rallye which commenced at 09.00 this morning. Around 90% of the entry was GB registered !
Astons that I saw were
DB2/4 MK11
DB MK111 x 2
DB4GT
DBSV8
DB7

No Astons racing tomorrow.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Photos John, photos! It's Monday morning already! 
Quote 0 0
john curtis
It's alright for you chaps with digital cameras.
I have to go to the Chemists !
Also friends staying for the weekend and a lunch today with a great display of cars (no Astons).
Still in a haze of cognac.
maybe later or tomorrow if I can picnch someone elses photos for the time being.
Quote 0 0
john curtis

A little something to start with and I couldn't see a Club badge!
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Brilliant 
Quote 0 0
migtig
What a fantastic week end. Stayed in the centre. Racing was fantastic. An event that was worth going to. !!!
Quote 0 0
john curtis
What a pity you didn't say that you were going then we could have met up :'(
Where did you watch from,
I managed to get in at the front by the cathédrale and didn't move all afternoon. Excellent view of the hairpin and start finish straight.
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Some atmosphere of the Remparts

Quote 0 0
john curtis
Rather than post anymore pics, try here for a big selection.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/560734094jdrIpy?start=0
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Great stuff John, thanks. I am booking for next year!
Quote 0 0
john curtis
All things being equal, we shall dine together at Chez Paul, my Lord.

http://www.chez-paul.com/
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Deal! 
Quote 0 0