TVJL
I am very pleased to report that there continues to be a great deal of interest and support in relation to the "Club Crawl" initiative.

In particular, quite a number of people have indicated their wish to attend the first such function scheduled for 8th March at The Reform Club.

Could I ask anyone who thinks that they might like to attend, but who has not indicated as much to either Scott or myself, to please drop one of us a line very soon. We plan to firm up final arrangements over the coming weekend.

In passing, I would just like to emphasise once again the highly social nature of this event - in other words, the evening will be very partner-friendly. ;D

Best to all,

Tim
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
Tim,

What's a 'Club Crawl'  ???

And what if one doesn't have a 'partner' ???

Hedgie
Quote 0 0
TVJL
My dear Hedgie (I hope that's not too informal  ),

I would put a link in at this point to the Area 00 '07 events thread, but I know I'll just muck it up. Nothing wrong with good old 'cut and paste', I say:

"However, the ‘big idea’ for ’07 has been spun off the back of a discussion or two that took place last November and again at our Christmas dinner. Everyone who expressed a view was very enthusiastic about it, so we’ve decided to take things to the next stage.

We’ve called this initiative the Area 00 “Club Crawl” and we hope you like it. The idea is that, via the kind invitation of some of our members, we hope to hold a number of our quarterly dinners at various different private members clubs located in and around St. James’. Each occasion will provide the opportunity for Area 00 members to visit institutions that some may not have seen before and to enjoy a convivial evening of fine food, wine, and company. We hope you will approve.

Obviously, there are some risks for each individual member concerned, but I’m sure that we will all be alive to those! Anyway, for now the only stipulation is that those interested in taking part will need to commit well before the event, but we will provide details about this in due course."

The emphasis on the partner-friendly nature of these events is because it has been unkindly suggested in the past that Area meetings consist invariably of a bunch of hairy-eared men sitting round pints of warm beer discussing camshaft profiles. Actually, I can confirm that Area 00 meetings are never like this anyway, but the 'Club Crawls' will be welcoming 'other halfs' overtly.

That said, partners are very far from obligatory. A goodly number of people have expressed interest in this event, and a further email-out on the subject is imminent. However, only about a third of the enquiries have been from couples. 

Best wishes,

Tim
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
Of course not Tim...we like a little familiarity now and again!

Each occasion will provide the opportunity for Area 00 members to visit institutions that some may not have seen before and to enjoy a convivial evening of fine food, wine, and company. We hope you will approve.

Oh yes Tim,  I approve!
It all sounds rather lovely....pity I don't qualify!
Although I do come up to London now and then to visit a friend opposite Cheyne Walk!
Are 00 meets nearby?

Hedgie

Quote 0 0
Tim M
Looks very dodgy to me Hedgie---beware hairy eared Aston Guys--nudge nudge wink wink ---say no more!
Quote 0 0
TVJL
"It all sounds rather lovely....pity I don't qualify!"

Hedgie, on what basis do you think you don't qualify. If would like to come to any Area 00 events, you merely have to either let us know (if necessary) or just come along.

Lunches are every month (usually about the second Friday) except in a month when we have a quarterly dinner. Lunches are almost invariably in The Bung Hole, which is a wine bar on High Holborn (close to Chancery Lane tube).

Here's the current run down:

8th March          Dinner at The Reform Club (by kind invitation of a member)
5th April         Lunch at The Bung Hole
11th May         Lunch at The Bung Hole
25th May          Dinner at the Grafton Hotel
8th June         Lunch at The Bung Hole
15th July (TBC)       Picnic at Hatfield House
10th August      Lunch at The Bung Hole
8th September (TBC)      “Pull 3” at Bisley
13th September      Dinner at The Carlton Club (by kind invitation of a member)
5th October      Lunch at The Bung Hole
9th November      Lunch at The Bung Hole
13th December      Christmas dinner at The Lansdowne Club (by kind invitation of a member)

See you soon, I hope.

Quote 0 0
Tim M
See what I mean 
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
Tim M wrote:

Looks very dodgy to me Hedgie---beware hairy eared Aston Guys--nudge nudge wink wink ---say no more!

Are you referring to our Wolfie?
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
TVJL wrote:

"It all sounds rather lovely....pity I don't qualify!"

Hedgie, on what basis do you think you don't qualify. If would like to come to any Area 00 events, you merely have to either let us know (if necessary) or just come along.

'Cos I'm not an Area 00 member?
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB

Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
WolfVaB wrote:

My, my Wolfie.....what big, hairy ears you have....Tim was right!
Quote 0 0
TVJL
In order to be affiliated to Area 00, you simply pick up the telephone to HQ and tell Carol of your wishes, or you tell Scott or myself and we will do the necessary.

In order to take part in an Area 00 event, you merely pitch up, unless we ask that you let us know beforehand because, say, we need to know numbers to book something or other.
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
Well that sounds easy enough.

I like the idea of lunch at a wine bar!

Would be able to come up on the train to Waterloo and and get back in one day.
Have a glass or two of red grape juice, and not worry about any narcoleptic moments on the motorway of which I am a tad prone!!

5th April it is then!
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Fantastic! See you then, then. ;D
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
Will it be obvious where in The Bung Hole you all sit ???
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Head towards the back of the ground floor bar, go down the stairs that you will find there - to the downstairs bar. When you get there, turn hard left. Walk forward twenty odd feet. On your right will be a long table, around which will be a number of seated men, and perhaps women, all with bald ears. ;D
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Good luck Hedgie, sounds like you might need it (maybe you should take a torch)!
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Oh and since you will be a new member Hedgie, there will be an apron, donkey, pointy stick and a steak & kidney pudding for the initiation ceremony.  Don't worry, it only smarts for a few days afterwards...
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
5 April is Good Friday, a bank holiday, or does Area 00 not observe these?
Quote 0 0
TVJL
We do, David. It's just that 5 April is a Thursday - Good Friday is, well, 6 April.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
OH DEAR DAVID, You've definately dropped one there--you've made TJVL's day, week etc. Recovery may take some time!
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Ah, no, Tim; I think only you could do that.
Quote 0 0