TVJL
Ladies and gentlemen,

Just a quick reminder  that the next Area 00 lunch will be held on Friday 10th February, from 12.30 at the Bung Hole. All and any AML types are most welcome to come along for a bowl of chips and a glass of plonk etc.. If you need directions, drop me a line.

The next lunch may be the most important of the year. So, if you are an Area 00 attendee from time to time, or a newbie, and can make it along on to the next one, your presence will pay dividends for us all! Here’s why:

At the last lunch held, some very good suggestions were advanced for prospective '06 events. These were followed by a clutch of further thoughts, sent to me via email. Since then, Scott, Richard and I have been trying to carry out some preliminary research re all these suggestions, with the idea of reverting to you at the next meeting / on the forum.

We would like to be able to post a full ‘06 programme soon, so we need to reach a consensus ASAP. Some ‘repeat’ events are a forgone conclusion e.g. the Hatfield family picnic and the quarterly dinners. Others may be repeated, under the Area 00 banner, if there is sufficient interest e.g. the ‘Global Conference’ and ‘Pull’. Another ‘big’ idea is also still in the offing – the Spitfire day at Duxford, although we are waiting on the Museum to see whether the AMOC presence is possible.

However, yet further ideas are still most welcome. We will not be able to do everything this year – indeed, some ideas will take some planning to get on the road by ’07 – but, it is your imagination and enthusiasm that have inspired us to get this far. So, keep on keeping on please.

To start you off, here are a few of the suggestions in the pot at the moment:

( A ‘food run’ e.g. to Stilton, Bakewell, Duchy of Cornwall, Yorkshire, Pontefract - you get the picture.

( A Brooklands hill climb

( A run to Scotland - ambitious, but hey

( A Goodwood run – Jimbo did such a sterling job last year – perhaps we can persuade him to do it again!

( A mini Sunday morning car show at the Serpentine - I advanced this thought last year, and there seems to be renewed interest

( A summer’s evening gliding

( A drive through Longleat safari park.

(8 ) Drinks at top of Tower 42 / The Gherkin / The Wheel

( Dinner at the Dorchester, re-enacting the Inaugural AMOC dinner

( A series of serious 'full on' gastronomic evenings in the Capital – to demonstrate the innate glamorous legacy that is ‘00’

( Attendance at the Curborough Novices Sprint

(12a) A drive to Portsmouth for the ferry to Wooton Creek, with a drive to the George for lunch at Yarmouth, then back across through Lymington and New Forest

(12b) A run to the Isle of White

( An Area 00 convoy run to Le Mans ’06 / the Le Mans Classic (I suspect that this will happen in an ad hoc way in any event – I think the idea was to capitalise on the inevitable, for added ‘fun’)

So – there we are! Please post or email your suggestions and thoughts. If you can get along to Holborn on Friday week, so much the better. But, please remember, even if you can’t attend, if you want a certain idea to be considered, we want to hear your voice!

Best to all,

Tim

Quote 0 0
Webby
Tim, pending setting up you and/or Bertie as the Area 00 Diarist I've added an entry for this in the calendar with a link to this entry.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Roger,

Thanks a lot for that (and for the email).

T
Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, it wasn't the Dorchester, it was the Grafton Hotel!  The Grafton even has an Aston Restaurant to commemorate the occasion.

(Thought I'd better get my entry in for Pedant of the Month before Tim P responds!)
RichardB
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I'll raise you two pendants and call by asking where is the Isle of White? Or should that be Isle of Wight? Martin
Quote 0 0
TVJL

Martin, you win the Newbie Pedants' prize of the day - a trip to the Isle of Wight in '06. ;D

However, as you will have gathered from Richard's post, you still have a long long way to go before you stand a chance of success in the Elite Class!
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Quote:
I'll raise you two pendants and call by asking

Martin has earned his two pendants.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Do Astons & safari parks go together? I'm thinging of monkeys etc at Woburn, but what do I know. Probably safer than most streets/carparks & good photoshoots next to rhinos/tigers etc if you care to get out of car.

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Can I pass on the prize? I spent two weeks getting soaking wet there in 2002 on my honeymoon. Martin
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
How about a Bojollis run, but not in November!

Lunch at Chateaux Tilques

http://www.chateautilques.com/uk/offres.php

Quote 0 0
TVJL
Ooooohhh... that sounds like a good one, to me at least.

BTW, I can confirm that the (fourth, I think) annual Area 00 Picnic at Hatfield House has now been firmed up for Sunday 25th June. Those who have attended before will recall that this is a really nice event - an opportunty for members and their other halves / kids etc. to meet up and display their cars in a selected area of the grounds of Hatfield House in Hertfordshire - http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/pages.asp?p=1&h=1&n=1 . An entry will be included in the forum diary soon, and there will be a round robin email in due course etc., but I just wanted to let you know the date at the earliest opportunity.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Thanks.

Date sent to the Faultfinder General for inclusion into the social diary under "More time spent with your bloody car".
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
Chaps,, I am sitting here down in the Grand Bretagne inAthens with the nav and I think area 00 should look into coming down here maybe in '07.  There is a Silver Spirit outside the front door and an S type on GB plates and it si just not good enough that there are no Astons in sight at this superb watering hole.

The meditterrainian spirit is alive and well and quite exciting: We were driven in by a cabbie at 175kmh in an Octavis, first tried to check in a the hotel next door, were greeted by 200 grandmothers in fur coats at thcorrect hotel, were then mistaken for the American ambassador (who has imilar name to us and lives 10 miles from us) upon check in, and out waitress just seriouslyshot herseld in the eye with a bottle ofLauntPerrier and had to retire hurt.

Anyway, I thiwe could take the motorrail from Boulogne to Livorno then do an early Western civilization tour, taking in Florence, Rome, Delphi andAthens.  We could take the ferry across fromBrindisi I think to somehere on tehj West coat of Greece and there is no question that half a dozen or so Astons would bring the city of Athens to a halt.

We are so excited about tomorrow, when we plan to go up onto the Acropolis,.  We then plan to go down into the Agora and can hardly believe we will be standing inthe rooms where Socrates actually spoke his ideeas about democracy and where his student Plato wrtoe the Republic, the definitive work for anyone considering setting up a democrratic state.  It is so wonderful and would be great to get a posse of Astons down here.

Jimbo

Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I'm glad Hatfield House is on the list again as my mother only lives a mile away! Martin
Quote 0 0
HiHoDB6
so, you can take her flowers that wont wilt - or am I getting my threads crossed
Quote 0 0
OPHYCLIDE
RE the idea of driving through a safari park...

When I was a boy, we drove through a safari park in what was our family car at the time, A Daimler XJ6 series 2 Vanden Plas.

The monkeys made off with the arial, chewed the rubber around the windscreen and stole the windscreen wiper.

My Grandfather was quite, er, shall we say irritated by this to say the least.

Should anyone take an Aston through the monkey section...  said owner will quite proberbly cry when forced to watch the outside of  his/her pride get vandalised from the vantage point inside the cockpit!

Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
I was under the impression that much of the advice put forward on the forum suggested it's never a good idea to monkey around with your Aston.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Jimbo, My wife and I went toi the Acopolis in May. It is best to get there early, we arrived at 8.30 - it hadn't opened by then!, this is to avoid the crowds and heat. I don't know of how much of either there wil be in February but it mght be helpful to know. Enjoy your day we found it compelling. Martin
Quote 0 0
OPHYCLIDE
WolfVaB wrote:

I was under the impression that much of the advice put forward on the forum suggested it's never a good idea to monkey around with your Aston.

you mean when i eventually get one im not allowed to go sideways in it every now and again!

aww  :'(

-JC
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
Thanks Lord Sinclair,

We got up there just before 830 and were about the first in.  It was a lovely day and not many people about until about 10, but then they started hording in.

Tim, if we could table this idea for next year I think Helen and I would really be on for it.  In fact, I would like to push yet further across to see Gallipoli, most likely with a day trip into Turkey from Greece.  My grandpa served there so it would be cool.

Jimbo
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Jimbo, I'm not remotely envious of your day.  :-\

As requested, you idea is 'in the pot' for '07.

Safe trip back, in due course.

Best, Tim
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Jimbo glad yuo enjoyed your day. What did you think of the Acropolis? I have to say we enjoyed it very much but it was very crowded and we were amazed by the attitude of the Americans there - they couldn't believe anything could be more than 200 years old!! Martin
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
Landed back 6 hrs late at 4am! A bizjet (fairly chunky one) had failed to stop at Luton and closed it. Grrr.

Sinclair, strangely, just about the only other chap up on the Acropolis when we arrived was a very nice fellow from DC.  After we had helped each other with photos the first coaches started arriving. It was splendid.  I have some good photos, one taken by the chap, but believe we can no longer post.

Jimbo

ps: These links might work, including one to a 2500-year old bronze Aston equivalent

http://millgent.tripod.com/my_photos/IMG_4118.JPG

http://millgent.tripod.com/my_photos/IMG_4142.JPG

http://millgent.tripod.com/my_photos/IMG_4215.JPG

Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
I can clearly see a TriPod logo but the rest of the screen is pure white, no pix.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
blast.
Quote 0 0