RickH
At a recent meeting of the AMOC Social Committee a there was a discussion on whether it would be possible to run our Astons down the drag strip at Santa Pod.   A little research has revealed that just such an event is very definitely possible.  The Santa Pod Raceway is the UK’s ¼ mile Drag-Strip, near Northampton, see this link Santa Pod Website

Santa Pod run what they call ‘Run What You Brung’ days which allows anyone to turn up and blast their cars down the timed ¼ mile track.  Each driver has to register, then simply joins the queue to do a run, and could if they wish simply join the queue again and have another go!  There appears to be no restriction or any other rules that would prevent any of us trying out of cars. 

The only thing to be aware of is that there is no insurance of the cars by Santa Pod, although they cover third-party risk.  The guidance is that the accident risk for ‘road –legal’ cars over a ¼ mile straight is really quite small, most of the problems are with cars braking something (engine, gearbox etc! ).

I have not arranged anything as yet, and the purpose of this thread is to simple gauge the likely response from the club if I were to arrange such an event.

My suggestion would be to take a ‘block booking’ for the AMOC on Sat 8th Apr.  The advantage of this day is that it is a ‘Peak Performance’ ‘Run What You Brung’ day, which limits the number of cars to 100, thereby ensuring more runs for each driver with less (but not no) queuing.  The other ‘Peak Performance’ days are immediately before drag competitions and are likely to be booked by teams for testing their cars.

We could have an AMOC parking and display area in the main car park (already negotiated) where all AMOC guys would congregate as a social gathering, have a picnic lunch, and to act as an HQ.  We could then run a challenge for the fastest ¼ mile in difference classes.  The temptation is to use the same classes as for the concours, but no prizes for clean engines, just fast ones!  ;D  ;D

As for cost, this really is a pretty low budget affair:  £60 per driver and car, £10 for spectator.  I would probably look at changing a few quid more than this to cover the cost of getting a couple of trophies made to award to the winners.  Plus a picnic, and cost of petrol used!

So; the questions are:

Do you want to trash (test?) your Aston at max power?
  Does an Aston Day-out to Santa Pod appeal to people?
  Do you want to hear the new AMV8s exhaust note as it should be heard?
  Is Sat 8th Apr a sensible date?
  If you don’t want to run your Aston, or don’t have one yet, do you want to come and join in an AMOC social event?
  Are you up for it?

I haven’t actually arranged anything yet, but if there is a generally positive response I would aim to advance book a number of tickets soon, to ensure we got as many Astons there as wanted to turn up.

I reckon this could be a blast – what are your thoughts? 
Quote 0 0
Julian BW
You can put me down subject to final details

Vinnie needs a bit of a blast!

J.

Quote 0 0
Dwarf
I have been an AMOC member for a while but I have never attended a meeting of any sort. Partly because I am really tucked up with work but mostly because I dont know anyone else from the club. Northampton isnt that far away and I reckon I could wear my social wig for a day. Count me in subject to detail.
Quote 0 0
Nigel
I don't think ROJ will be ready by 8th April - so if I can cadge a lift I'm in!
Quote 0 0
Neil the Vet
Really appeals but it is tooooooo far away. Have fun!
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
Nigel - where u live?
Quote 0 0
RickH
come on Neil, fly down to Luton on easyjet, we'll pick you up from there.
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
I can do Luton - I am in Bedford, I dont mind doing the long way round to Northampton  ;D
Quote 0 0
Neil the Vet
Fying down to Luton is not a problem.
Getting the DB7 on as hand luggage is becoming soo tiresome.
Quote 0 0
RickH
OK, don't bring the DB7 this time, just come down for the social.

You could bring Molly as hand-luggage?
Quote 0 0
Neil the Vet
Molly? Molly? Molly?
For the last time. It's DOLLY.
God she is just soooooo upset.
Would love to come down for the social ( and I will consider that) but feel I will be very frustrated at not being able to do a 1/4 mile (no matter how slowly)
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Surely Dolly can drag you down the quarter mile?  Pump her full of high test.

Oh. That didn't sound quite right.
Quote 0 0
DavidBrownsGhost
No, Wolfie - I think that was exactly right.

I once took a 2002 DB7 Vantage coupe to a drag-day at Bandermere (in Colorado).  Got a great photo of a Pentland green coupe emerging from an enormous cloud of tire-smoke, surrounded by Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes.  I was amazed at the crowd response to the Aston (it was amazing).

Tip - drive AROUND the beach-pit (unless you have slicks!)...
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
For those of you with Alexander Forbes insurance, remember that your insurance would cover you for a track day as long as there is no timing.
Quote 0 0
philmw
So, everyone can do a standing 1/4 mile a couple of times; just leave your watches that the gate. 
Quote 0 0
The Knobs
I'd like to give mine a go but there is a track day at Curborough for novices the same day and I'm hoping to get in there.

Harry
Quote 0 0
RickH
I am aware that the 8th Apr does have the disadvantage of clashing with Curborough.  It would be possible to look at another day, but we would have to get in quick before it gets book up.

The other option would be May 20th.  Which would people prefer?
Quote 0 0
Julian BW
20th is no good for me, however dont let that spoil the fun if this is a better day!

Below is a picture of my old cobra rep going to the start point at the 2004 Brighton Speed Trials, 400+hp Ford 302, could only use 2nd and 4th gears as traction was a bit of a problem!

Ha - such fun!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/jmabw/Cobrastartline1s.jpg
Quote 0 0
OPHYCLIDE
RE the insurance thing...

You are insured by your company whilst your in the carpark and whilst your in the que but once your on the strip no one is insured.

I have a friend with an MGB GT V8 who regularly takes his car to "The Pod"

Click the link below if you would like to see a thirty year old car shame a modern MG.
Note: this is BEFORE he started using nitrous oxide!
http://www.jimmcglynn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/perrycar/video/pod1.wmv

and a photo of the car...
http://www.jimmcglynn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/perrycar/outdoors016.jpg
Quote 0 0
CQ DBSV8
Rick,

I'd love to have a go at this but I've just sent of my cheque for the Curborough day. 

If Santa Pod is a success and you decide to run another later in the year, count me in.

Chris
Quote 0 0
Astonchap
I would be up for this, how many cars are need to make it happen ?
Quote 0 0
OPHYCLIDE
none... the RWYB day happens whether Astons turn up or not.
Quote 0 0
philmw
Sounds like a laugh, and a good chance to take some interesting photos.

May come along (if the girls' horse riding lessons and the boy's football match allow, and no kids parties, and ...).
Quote 0 0
RickH
There is no minimum number, it could be just 2 people turn up.  However, I would like to see something like 20 Astons there so there is a real Aston presence at the day
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Sounds good fun, although my auto Virage would probably be overtaken in the queue!
Quote 0 0