RickH Show full post »
Kieran
Hello,

I've only just read this post and i'm gutted i couldn't make it, because i didn't know!!!
Although, i wouldn't have contributed much not having an Aston! But, still, i would've loved to have come and watched!!! (Maybe took part in my Golf?)

Any more plans for another day at the pod?

Kieran
Quote 0 0
CQ DBSV8
It was a great day out, thanks again to Rick for organising it.  I highly recommend it and you don't have to run your car, spectating is almost as much fun.  Be warned though, if you do take your car on the strip it is highly addictive!

I have posted the times from my second and best run below:

Reaction - +.931 (very slow)
60ft - 2.313
330ft - 6.648
1/8 ET - 10.167
1/8MPH - 71.00
1000' - 13.069
1/4 ET - 15.714
1/4 MPH - 86.73

Checking the original road tests, Autocar tested a DBS V8 (which was a manual - mines auto) and recorded a 1/4 mile time of 14.1, so I've got some work to do!! Although in my defence, my first run resulted in a time of 16.397 so I am improving, and I don't know how much the auto box adds.

I will let Astonchap post his times, but it was a close run thing!

We will definitely be doing this again so those of you that missed out (both driving and spectating), look forward to seeing you at the next one.  BTW Kieran, this event was open to all cars so you would hae been more than welcome to run your Golf.

Chris
Chris Quested
1972 AM V8 and late seventies V8 Vantage
Quote 0 0
RickH
It was a fun day even if it did rain at bit!   Now I can see that it it all very friendly and you don't have to trash the car, I will definitely be running mine next time.

Astonchap,  Please could you give me details of your fastest time - as I need them for your trophy.
Quote 0 0
OPHYCLIDE
CQ DBSV8 wrote:

It was a great day out, thanks again to Rick for organising it.  I highly recommend it and you don't have to run your car, spectating is almost as much fun.  Be warned though, if you do take your car on the strip it is highly addictive!

I have posted the times from my second and best run below:

Reaction - +.931 (very slow)
60ft - 2.313
330ft - 6.648
1/8 ET - 10.167
1/8MPH - 71.00
1000' - 13.069
1/4 ET - 15.714
1/4 MPH - 86.73

Checking the original road tests, Autocar tested a DBS V8 (which was a manual - mines auto) and recorded a 1/4 mile time of 14.1, so I've got some work to do!! Although in my defence, my first run resulted in a time of 16.397 so I am improving, and I don't know how much the auto box adds.

I will let Astonchap post his times, but it was a close run thing!

We will definitely be doing this again so those of you that missed out (both driving and spectating), look forward to seeing you at the next one.  BTW Kieran, this event was open to all cars so you would hae been more than welcome to run your Golf.

Chris

Right, Your reaction time needs to come down allot.
The thing about santapod is that the tree has those old fasioned disko type bulbs. It actually takes a fraction of a second to light the things up.
I suspect you waited for the green light to come on before you did anything?
once the green light is on the computers timer has been runing about half a second.

When I race at santapod I go as soon as the AMBER lights come on. This should bring your reaction time down to around 0.2
If you sort the reaction time out you aught to bring the ET down to around 14.9

The next point to consider is actually getting away. If you floor it on the start line you just spin up. Just get the car rolling before you nail the throttle.
Doing a burn out will help as it makes the tyres hot and sticky therefore less likely to spin up.

Last two points to consider are when to change gear and how to change gear.

How to do it: DO NOT  life your foot completely off the accelerator only let it half up.

When to do it: You must change gear when your engine reaches peak torque. DO NOT redline it.
You will notice that as the engine moves through the rev band it pulls harder in some points and less in others. You need to use the portion where the engine pulls hardest.

Next time you guys go for one of the RWYB days at "the pod" would an MGB GT be welcome?  I will bring my friend along with a BGT V8. His best time is 12.8 seconds @ 110 mph.

Hope you find some of my advice useful.

All the best,

JC.
Quote 0 0
RickH
JC,

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure it will be of use. 

We had sort of gathered most of it from talking to other drivers while waiting in the start lane.  We were told that the distance timings don't start until you break the first beam, ie after the 'reaction time'.  This is something to check with the Santa Pod staff.

Next time we go, and there will definitely be a next time, then of course you're welcome to join us.  However, only Astons are eligible to win trophies!! 
Quote 0 0
OPHYCLIDE
I have a 5 inch enamel on chrome plate club badge I can mount on the grille! Doesnt matter though, I wouldnt win a trophy anyway as I havent put my V8 in the B yet! My best time so far was a 19.9 @ 67.5 MPH. So even if you manage to put a con rod through the block half way down you can coast the last 1/8th of a mile and still beat me!
Incidentally brand new MGB's were managing 19.9's So considering im doing this on a 30 year old engine thats never been opened with 72k on the clock it did quite well!
My friend with the "mildly breathed on" Factory MGB GT V8 is now doing times of 12.8 @ 110mph though.

Im heading over to the POD on the 2nd of July for the classic and retro show day.
Show days are a bit different £15 entrace and £15 to race but you only get 3 runs. You get a plastic armband with tear-off tokens. Usually though, around 3:30-4pm someone comes on the tannoy and says that for an extra £15 you can have unlimited runs till they close up for the night. Show days are VERY busy though so you might only get in another couple of runs.

I tend to push my B down the fire-up lane with the bonnet open. On old cars you can get what is known as "heat surge" potentially meaning a cracked block so the guys that turn up with the older astons should consider doing this too. It just lets cool air waft around the engine bay more easily. You want to start a run with the engine temp just under normal. I usually fire up the B just as I get to the first bend in the fireup lane where the bikers que up.

on the 13th of august the MG owners club are having a mini tournament at the pod on a RWYB day. SantaPod will be setting asside some space for us to park up. We will have a couple of marquees and a leader board. So far there are around 20 MG's old and new signed up.
How do you guys feel about coming along to that? Im sure we can find some space in our pit area for a few astons.  ;D

All the best,

JC.
Quote 0 0