Webby Show full post »
DrDavidB
Careful my Lord, I'll start to blush. Come to think of it I am a bit pink today....what a scorcher it was.

As the pilot of the oldest kite there yesterday I've decided to adopt the rank of squadron leader and my first duty is to applaud the whole squadron for a marvelous turnout. What a show we put on for the locals. Medals and commendations will be dispatched accordingly.

I was rather taken by surprise to discover that Air Marshal Purser and Commodore Donoghue were on site to conduct inspections but they seemed happy enough and their presence boosted moral. MPD's female assistants in tight black uniforms made sure that our upper lips were suitably stiff!

When called to scramble at 1600hrs we flew in close formation for only about 75yds after which it was every man for himself. I hope nobody attempted a victory role down the Euston Road and managed to land safely. One has to keep ones mince pies open flying in the smoke these days - bandits with speed cameras behind every post box.

RAF Duxford is calling and my navigator is planning our route as I write. I, on the other hand, am settling down with my favourite book - Biggles takes it rough (! and have treated myself to a well earned tumbler of brandy.

Over and out.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
taken by surprise to discover that Air Marshal Purser and Commodore Donoghue were on site to conduct inspections
I'm sure in both cases, leading from the front instead of flying an office chair.
And yes, very HAPPY.
Quote 0 0