AM V8
I had the great fortune to tour the Aston Martin factory, Gaydon on Wednesday 21st, a fab day out, well organised and hosted by Christine (Well done), a real must if you get the chance. 
Quote 0 0
boltoc
I was there too and it was a great day. Fully immersed and so well managed by AMOC and the factory.
chrisb
Quote 0 0
ChrisDodd
Booked in for the factory tour in August including a visit to Prodrive, really looking forward to it!
Quote 0 0
JEB
Looking forward to the tour as well in June.
Quote 0 0
ChrisDodd
Attended the excellent tour yesterday, unfortunately the Prodrive visit originally planned for the afternoon was not possible (but HQ had given plenty of warning). The factory was fascinating and the depth of knowledge by our hosts, Nick Duckworth and Steve Waddingham quite exemplary. Thanks to Christine for organising and to AML for the professional and informative day along with an excellent lunch. Running the tours with only 7 or 8 people per group means you can hear every word, questions were welcomed and there was no pressure to move on.
Couldn't resist a photo (I did ask permission first!)
IMG_4968.jpg 
Quote 0 0
jb1
Have just chanced upon this on the aston martin website “. **Please note that factory tours are still free of charge for existing Aston Martin owners, when arranged through your local authorised Aston Martin dealership. Availability may be limited due to high demand.”

As most amoc members are owners too, it occurs to me to ask who exactly is getting the £30 that amoc are asking for a factory tour - is it amoc or the factory ?
Quote 0 0
Fay
jb1 wrote:
Have just chanced upon this on the aston martin website “. **Please note that factory tours are still free of charge for existing Aston Martin owners, when arranged through your local authorised Aston Martin dealership. Availability may be limited due to high demand.”

As most amoc members are owners too, it occurs to me to ask who exactly is getting the £30 that amoc are asking for a factory tour - is it amoc or the factory ?

When I asked this question about 4 years back I was told it was to pay for an Amoc member of staff to attend and their travelling expenses. Not quite sure why a staff member was required. I would have thought it should be part of the membership benefits for Amoc to arrange. Having arranged stuff myself I’m sure arranging numbers on certain dates would not take thirty quid a person. Just my take.
Fay
Quote 0 0
jb1
Thanks for that, Fay. Confirms my feelings that the club sometimes treats the members as cash cows. I also begrudge the £30 ( seems to be the amoc magic number) for me as a fully paid up member to attend the concourse as a spectator, given that there are probably more astons to see at Beaulieu’s simply aston for just £10, without having to pay the £90 membership fee too.
James b
Quote 0 0
Anne
jb1 wrote:
Thanks for that, Fay. Confirms my feelings that the club sometimes treats the members as cash cows. I also begrudge the £30 ( seems to be the amoc magic number) for me as a fully paid up member to attend the concourse as a spectator, given that there are probably more astons to see at Beaulieu’s simply aston for just £10, without having to pay the £90 membership fee too.
James b

I think the Club gets charged £25 per person to attend the factory tour, with £5 to cover the HQ staff travel - but will check and confirm. 

If we don't charge spectators and competitors for entry to concours, we would not be able to afford to put the event on. We have to pay a fee for the location, as well as trophies and plaques etc £10 would not cover it. Beaulieu don't have the same costs to cover.   

A lot of time is spent trying to make sure we provide events to the standard that Members tell us they expect while also trying to keep the prices to a cost that everyone can afford. We would be very happy to have you join us to assist in providing a way to run these events at a cheaper price.

Anne
Quote 0 0
Vanquish Rider
Anne, 

It would be better if you provided the answer with the facts rather than your understanding. Much clearer that way. Seem strange that AML say it is free and then charge AMOC £25PP. A bit of an oxymoron to me?

Reference the concours, I understand it is not going to be free. But to be charged to park your car on the edge of the field at concours costing £30 and yet the locals parked on the stately home car park 50 yards away for free and were free to roam throughout the show area. It would seem a bit rich to me? My parking fee would appear to be an extra income as I visited without booking and so could not have been factored into your costs. But I (my car at least) was part of the spectacle? And charged for the privilege. Yet every other show I attend as a classic club member was free for those exhibiting their cars. Oulton Park Gold cup provides me with 3 days of great racing, a huge classic car attendance and free hot drinks in the PCGB marquee all day. For this privilege they charge me £10. Hence my discomfort with the £30 charged by AMOC. 

SteveE

Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
Quote 0 0
John Purser
and free hot drinks in the PCGB marquee all day.
It should be noted that PClubGB receive sponsorship from PCarsGB to do this.
and
In days gone by, the Club Concours was always held at Silverstone (where we had hired the entire circuit for the day to run a race meeting,
therefore, we could use spare space for the Concours display and Members' parking.)
The Autumn Concours was sometimes held the grounds of a Member's house (derisorily described as  his "back garden" - some back garden....) and the Concours was not open to the public.
When the change was made to use stately homes, the rent they charge had to be factored into the budgeted cost.
At many venues used in the past and currently, we compete with weddings over the rate they charge.
The fact that we allow the public to pay to come in (if that is the venue policy) is to (try to) offset the rent we pay.

Quote 0 0
John Purser
Fay wrote : Having arranged stuff myself I’m sure arranging numbers on certain dates would not take thirty quid a person.

I'm sure a dealer can arrange a free of charge tour of Gaydon but it's usually if you have ordered a car from them, bought a car from them or have your car serviced by them. I'm not in any of those categories, so I don't know.
The 'Club' rate is discounted from the rate charged to Rotary Clubs and similar, which I am told is 3 x more than we pay.
AML is not alone in 'sweating the asset' with guided tours - Bentley and Morgan (and I think Rolls Royce) all offer tours and all charge - unless you are a 'customer' of a dealer.
Prodrive have always run popular tours, and David Richards (a Club Member for many years) asks for a donation to charity. Worth every penny.

Quote 0 0
GaryU_2
I know that AML does definitely gets £25 for each person that does the AMOC tour.  This charge seems reasonable to me, and since the tours are overbooked,  we have to assume a lot of other people do too.  

You could get it free if you arrange it through your dealer.  It will give the dealership an opportunity to interact with an Aston Owner. Sell them service, or even a new or used car.  Well worth £25 to AML, so it covers the costs under 'marketing'.

I agree that the car parking that the club charges £30 for has to be something special. 

The 125 members & guests (approx 80 members?) who will attend the international dinner will be subsidised, the 200 members who park their car have to cover the venue costs.   My understanding was that the venue cost for the Spring Concours were being covered by Bonhams.  So why the £30 charge?

Formerly known as Forum Manager.
Quote 0 0
Purest Green
jb1 wrote:

jb1

As we know, "chancing upon" something on a website can often be very different from reality.

It would be great if you could do some proper research on this. Can you please contact your local dealer, ask them to arrange a free factory tour, attend the tour and then report back as to the experience, any costs, timeline, etc.

Then we can evaluate whether £30 is a "fair" price for what (attendees report) appears to be a great experience.

Many thanks,

Jamie
Jamie A.
Area 00
Quote 0 0
Purest Green
jb1 wrote:
James b

jb1

I'm sorry you "begrudge the £30" cost of the AMOC Concours, however, I think you might be "comparing apples with oranges".

From recollection, Beaulieu "Simply Aston" is £10 per person (in an Aston).

In the recent past, AMOC Concours has been £30 per car, irrespective of the number of occupants, and that has included a glass of Champagne per person in that price.

If you have two people in your car, I'd say that's better value that Beaulieu.

Beaulieu is a permanent motor museum with fixed costs spread over the course of a year. Of course Beaulieu prices Simply Aston low to Aston owners to encourage more Astons to attend. That component is a "loss leader" to encourage the cars that make up the display to attend. Once they have their display, that's how they can justify charging non-Aston-owning visitors £25 per person on the day to attend.

AMOC Concours is a temporary event having to cover its fixed costs on one specific day. It's a risky enterprise. If it pours with rain and hardly anyone turns up, that's quite a cost to bear.

For reference, Concours of Elegance at Hampton Court is £25 per adult and that's the discounted rate for AMOC members. Normally it would be £40 per adult.

Separately, we're always looking for more volunteers to help out at AMOC Concours. Certainly, volunteering helped to give me a much greater appreciation of the economics and risks of staging such an event. If you would like to volunteer, please drop me a direct message. 

Many thanks.

Jamie
Jamie A.
Area 00
Quote 0 0
Vanquish Rider
I think £30 for the visit is a decent price. But strange (ie Why?) they (AML) say it is free then charge AMOC £25. Very odd. 

My issue with the concours was that visitors got it for free and we were charged £30 to park. I essentially paid AMOC £30 to help them make the day better by adding another Aston to the show car viewing area (Aston Parking). I could have parked 50 yards away and entered for free to view the cars and the concours. I'm not quite sure this is the best way of going about things. Willing to hear other peoples thoughts on this? 
SteveE

Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
Quote 0 0
Fay
GaryU_2 wrote:
I know that AML does definitely gets £25 for each person that does the AMOC tour.  This charge seems reasonable to me, and since the tours are overbooked,  we have to assume a lot of other people do too.  

You could get it free if you arrange it through your dealer.  It will give the dealership an opportunity to interact with an Aston Owner. Sell them service, or even a new or used car.  Well worth £25 to AML, so it covers the costs under 'marketing'.?

Thanks for that Gary I was under impression (wrongly it would seem) that AML did not charge AMOC for the tours. I have been free with the dealer and paid through AMOC. I have always enjoyed the tour.

It seems it is a bit confusing that aml says the tours are free when means that tours through the dealers are free.

Fay
Quote 0 0