JohnSk
Following the SoCoM meeting earlier last week we have unanimously voted to cancel the planned Autumn Concours to be held at Harewood House in September 2020.

This decision was not taken lightly as it means we will not have an AMOC Concours in 2020. However in the present Covid-19 circumstances, and the uncertainty we all face on personal and business fronts, it was felt we needed to be seen to be proactive for our members.

The logistics of planning and delivering the event were becoming more difficult. The caterers could not commit, the venue is uncertain if they can entertain a mass gathering, it is not possible to arrange any accommodation for members travelling, there are no pubs or restaurants open at present (or likely to be) for social events prior or during the weekend and, most importantly, there is a high level of nervousness amongst potential attendees. All that is overscored with the duty of care the club has to its staff and members.

We felt it would be more positive to make a proactive decision and announce the cancellation than to let the issue drift in the hope government guidelines would give direction.

PR statements will be prepared for printing in AM News and, if appropriate, AM Quarterly along with social media and forum platforms but is is important you have this in advance.

We can now look forward with increased anticipation and vigour to the 2021 Concours season and please rest assured my committee and I will be working hard to deliver events to compensate for the disappointments forced upon us through this pandemic.

Keep safe
Regards

John M Skelton
Director responsible for Social and Concours
Quote 1 0
Vanquish Rider
Sounds like a sensible decision given the circumstances. At least we all know where we stand. 

Will this event transfer directly to Autumn 2021 keeping the location?
SteveE

Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
Quote 0 0
Thibaut
It is clear that the concours in its usual format with black tie dinner and over ight stay is complex to deliver and fully appreciate. As a result I see why the planned event for autumn can’t go as planned.

but I would have thought that perhaps an alternative concept could be explored so at least amoc memebrs have one event to look forward to ? In the thread about racing, some members have suggested running concours together with a racing event like it used to be in the past. A race track has ample space and should allow to maintain required distances. There are on site permanent catering facilities (not 3 star michelin but who cares) and if we have to share a closed room, then wearing masks should provide protection.

the virtual concours was a great innovative idea in the context of strict lockdown. At least having a single event, perhaps on the occasion of the St John Horsfall with a bit of racing and some nice cars to look at in the parking lot, would do a bit to lift the spirit of the members.

if CoM decides that no event should take place in 2020, I would expect this would create a bit of surplus in the accounts. If so, perhaps it would be fitting part of it is given to relevant charities.
Quote 0 0
Fallonator
Thibaut wrote:

if CoM decides that no event should take place in 2020, I would expect this would create a bit of surplus in the accounts. If so, perhaps it would be fitting part of it is given to relevant charities.

Or distributed between the regions going towards the Christmas/New year lunch; this might also be a celebration of a return to normal club activities.

Good CoM decision which removes any doubt. Thank you.

PS. do I get to keep the silver plate until next year. 😇😇😇
LE 7.0 Lynx Turbo
Quote 2 0