stevobland
Will the event be subject to the weather? Can't see many pride & joy's being driven out in driving rain
Quote 0 0
John Purser
The event does occasionally hit bad weather but :
it still goes on
it's the same for everyone
judges take account of dirt applied from the road that morning as opposed to dirt built up over months / years
and
it does sort out the cars that are driven from 'garage queens'.
A well prepared DB5 came 200 miles in pouring rain the day before one year, was cleaned up overnight (owner in some stress) wet short drive next morning from B&B to Stanway, the venue.
It still won.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
See you there

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
stevobland
Nice to know  ;D

I'll bring wellies & brolly  ;D

Have to check out the competition for next spring.....
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Supply of plastic bags to shove wet, muddy wellies in before they foul your pristine boot on the way home. There will be a £5 surcharge for this tip, levied on site  ;D
Quote 0 0
stevobland
I like your style!

Get a man when he's down eh?
Quote 0 0
John Purser
I'm cheap - the Club shop has very handsome badged bags and they are a tenner.

Actually the Club shop will be there and we hope everyone will come and grab a bargain or three.
There has been a bit of replanning of the Concours site to make it easier for everyone. Do make the effort - looks like a good day out.
Quote 0 0
magic_marker
John Purser wrote:

The event does occasionally hit bad weather but :
it still goes on
it's the same for everyone
judges take account of dirt applied from the road that morning as opposed to dirt built up over months / years
and
it does sort out the cars that are driven from 'garage queens'.
A well prepared DB5 came 200 miles in pouring rain the day before one year, was cleaned up overnight (owner in some stress) wet short drive next morning from B&B to Stanway, the venue.
It still won.
nice  ;D
Quote 0 0
philmw
Weather looks to be nice
Quote 0 0
John Purser
High pressure in east pushing Atlantic low backwards - good news.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Can't make it, car being fixed from being crunched by Eurotunnel.

That will leave RC with a clear run in Elite Class!

Will he drive it there?  Has it done more than 50 miles since the last one??  Will the judges be recording odeometer readings?
Quote 0 0
John Purser
geewizzpip wrote:

Will he drive it there?  Has it done more than 50 miles since the last one??  Will the judges be recording odeometer readings?
A touchy subject for the last 50 years and not easy to answer. It's taken into account if we know it is a garage queen.
Was judging at Palos Verdes Concours last month. As you may know, trailered cars are normal in the USA because of the huge distances. Garage queens are very common as entrants. I did the 50/60s Jags - including the Steve McQueen's XKSS, from the Petersen Museum. PV do a function test - no go, no place. And put the soft-top up and down. When one cribbed at starting the engine, I said in the UK the judges include a road test including a 0-60 time. Co-judges (one an expat Englishman) were ROFLOL at the sight of his face. They are terribly serious, though - you even have to get the owner to open the door for you. And not take the pxss out of them.
But for Chatsworth, come along and enjoy a good day out with like-minded people.
Quote 0 0
stevobland
The sun did shine. Well worth a day out. I was a little dissappointed at the lack of cars entering concours.....
Quote 0 0
MPD
I fear the reasons for the smaller entry in the Autumn Concours at Chatsworth yesterday were:

• The location was much further north than our Spring Concours, which deters the larger membership from the home counties attending.

• October may be too late in the year, when the weather can be a tad inclement.

I suggest we hold the next Autumn Concours in September and stage it closer to the London area. On alternate years, we will locate a venue more northerly for the Autumn event for the convenience of our members who are located further up the country.

I will publish the final results in the next 24 hours.
Quote 0 0
Astonpower
I know I am not the only one who had a conflict with the date for Chatsworth (shame I really wanted to be there)  one day out of 365 and 2 must do events on at the same time hundreds of miles apart  ??? ???.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Our Club and the classic car world will always have a clash of dates problem (and there was even another concours featuring Aston Martin on the same date - in Sydney, Australia !)
We do try very hard to plan the calendar as well as we can. Given the vast choice of car events these days before family and friends are taken into consideration, we could do with an 8 day week and a 25 hour day to get them all in. The Goodwood Revival and similar 'magnet' events do have to be avoided.
We have been VERY lucky over the 25 odd years I have been going to events, with Autumn Concours days coinciding with what is known as the Indian Summer (middle of October when the last Indain corn - maize - was dried for winter storage by North American Indians). Yesterday was no exception. It was less fun at Donington, on the Saturday, chilly, gloomy and almost dark for the last race. 
As for entries, Donington had some much better grids and good racing but there were fewer for the Concours. Go figure. The only predicatable thing about AMOC events is their unpredicatability.
Quote 0 0
anthonyoade
We had a great day at Chatsworth yesterday, which was helped with the weather.
Many thanks to John, Mark and Audrey and all involved in the organisation.
It is a pity that there were not more there, but that was really their loss as you could not have found a better setting. The dinner on the Saturday evening was also excellent.
It is good that events move around, and I appreciate that the majority of members are in the South, but I and a lot of other Northern members are happy to travel to wherever to support the club and the events ( and before anyone quips back I know it is good culture education for us)
It does amuse me and I did overhear someone say on Sunday that they did not realise how far it was to the North. (Its twice as far for you to come up as it is for us to come down ;D)
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Yes. How about Northumberland next time MarK?

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
RCVantage
geewizzpip wrote:

Can't make it, car being fixed from being crunched by Eurotunnel.

That will leave RC with a clear run in Elite Class!

GWP -

Sorry to hear about the car - What happened?

I have witnesses that saw CK drive to and from Chatsworth albeit 30 miles from where I live...Never the less, the car has been to Donington (Track) as well as other some excursions this year - (not that I or anyone else has to answer to you on this topic), I have won with older and higher mileage cars previously - I'm disappointed that you didn't make it to Chatsworth, Where, no doubt, You would have had your ass whooped (again)...but there's always next year ! - The more competition the better !

Yes CK Won...Heyworth & Holt reunited for only the 10th time in 75 years (& on the 10.10..

RC

PS - On a different topic all together, may I say publically, John & Dot Browning have done a brilliant job over the years, and whoever steps in will have to be exceptional to find ways to make it any better.
Mark D also does a fantastic job, and perhaps is the only one qualified to continue this fantastic work ? I look forward with eager anticipation to next years Concours season.
Quote 0 0
camel
RCVantage wrote:

Yes CK Won...Heyworth & Holt reunited for only the 10th time in 75 years (& on the 10.10..

RC

Congratulations RC, I had to leave before the results were announced.  CK was looking pretty stunning.
Quote 0 0
DB PHiL
So where are the photos for those who couldn't make it?
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Isn't it about time the Elite class rules were changed so that if you have won it once then you cannot enter for say three years, otherwise the same relatively brand new garage queens will keep on winning, to the detriment of those who drive their cars hard AND keep them in top condition.

I feel sorry for efforts like the early DB at Blenheim, which was superb, and Phil's Le Mans, excellent.  Can't compete with the new models, ever.  It will deter people in the end.

Maybe that's why there were only two entrants for Elite this Autumn as it was pretty much a forgone conclusion.

Did anyone record the mileages since last year?
Quote 0 0
Russell
well i travelled nearly three hours to get there from down south. had a sandwich. watched phil win the "i couldnt be arsed to...." trophy.
then travelled the three hours home.
on the way back enjoyed playing noisy exhausts with the stunning red V8 volante that looked like this years new model not 40 years old.
at the show the closer you got to it the crazier it got. it hasnt got a blemish on it. incredible.
bit dissapointed in the amount of cars but the quality of the people was outstanding especially as i was there.
once again thank you to everyone for bringing their cars for me to enjoy looking at.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
stevobland
Some really nice cars in the car park too. '77 Flip Tail in red. Owner didn't want to enter because he didn't want judges criticising his pride and joy. Probably would have got a place due to the lack of entrants! Even my Oscar could have 
Quote 0 0