V8Vantage
Will be there too

Dave
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
Can we have a show of people going to this and if so are you planning to enter your car?

Quote 0 0
RickH
I'm going for 4th out of 4 again!  >

I'm also volunteering as a trainee judge - but they wont let me mark the DB7 Class 

<< edited for spelling >>
Quote 0 0
philmw
I'll be going, probably in the Le Mans, but he's not a concours winner (yet  ).
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
I'll be entering again, but just for the parking spot as I was well and truly trounced last year.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
I shall endeavour to make up the Lagonda Class so as to avoid a walkover dispute.

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
RickH
Phil,

Although she may not be a winner yet, you ought to consider entering the Le Mans so that everyone can have a look at her  ;D  (they will do anyway - even if its in the car park!  :-\ )
Quote 0 0
philmw
and as GWP points out, to get a decent parking space so I don't do another couple of thousand damage to the front spoiler again 

The cars would certainly make for an interesting judging point - as far as I know, AMOC Concourse is d'etat - originality as it came from the factory - not d'elegance - shininess and wow.  JM's fabulous DB9 suffered because it was heavily modified by Works and not the same as it left the factory.  However, Jim's fabulous V600 that rightly won Newcomers, is of course also a Works modified car.  What's the difference?  My Le Mans left the factory in 1999, only to go straight into Works to be beastified.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Planning on being there too. Not entering the concours. You will recognise me as the one shielding his eyes from that Mercedes HQ monstrosity. They had the whole site to build it on and where did they put it..
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
I hope to be there with the Vanquish S , with a bit of schedule manipulation ....

Phil , I agree that this stupid issue with Works has to be resolved because of the particular role that WS has always deservedly enjoyed as part of AML .

John
Quote 0 0
Dutch V8
I'm coming over from the Netherlands with the family. We're probably not up to concours standard (2 kids in car doesn't equate to concours condition !), but will try to join in everything else over both days.

Can someone point me to the registration form mentioned in the Latest New bulletin ?

Looking forward to seeing some great cars and hopefully to some great British weather !
Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
I have ALWAYS turned up to concours (and entered) with two kids in the back, which have then been removed for judging.
RichardB
Quote 0 0
cmf645
Is it a public event?

Rob.
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
Richard , extra marks should be awarded for that reason alone , unless children are of an age that their collective effort and expertise in polishing and preparing can affect the results !!!

Maybe an idea for a new class !

Quote 0 0
TVJL
I'll be there too, and, like Rick, will be wearing a white coat.
Quote 0 0
sprevett
Am planning to be there but sadly my DBSV8 looks as tired as I do these days - so unless 'patina' counts for a lot i won't be taking any silverware home, and it would seem a bit silly to enter it even ;D. I am a member of Brooklands so do I still need to pay a fee to join in the fun? anyone know?
Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
Thanks Olympus.  They are not of an age to make a useful contribution.  In fact, it's quite a worry to see them "helping"!
RichardB
Quote 0 0
Dutch V8
Cyclist55 wrote:

I have ALWAYS turned up to concours (and entered) with two kids in the back, which have then been removed for judging.

OK point taken ... I'd stand a better chance with the kids still in the car as they polish up better than the driver. 

Although they'd get 10/10 for enthusiasm, I'll keep them away from the actual polishing of the car as they are as likely to use a brillo pad as anything else.

Looking forward to a great weekend.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Oh, Oh!  It's on the final day of the Ryder Cup!!!

Standing in the cold polishing, repolishing and 'Q-Tipping' my exhaust or watching sport on a big screen, waving the Union Jack in one hand with a beer in the other.

Decisions decisions.

OK, can you get SKY on a portable TV?
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I can only be there one day - Concours or driving tests, which is recommended? I suspect the concours will draw the bigger attendance?
Quote 0 0
MPD
philmw wrote:

and as GWP points out, to get a decent parking space so I don't do another couple of thousand damage to the front spoiler again 

The cars would certainly make for an interesting judging point - as far as I know, AMOC Concourse is d'etat - originality as it came from the factory - not d'elegance - shininess and wow.  JM's fabulous DB9 suffered because it was heavily modified by Works and not the same as it left the factory.  However, Jim's fabulous V600 that rightly won Newcomers, is of course also a Works modified car.  What's the difference?  My Le Mans left the factory in 1999, only to go straight into Works to be beastified.

Hi Phil

In answer to your question regarding the Judging at Concours, you are quite correct in mentioning that this is a Concours d’Etat, not d'elegance!

Judges should score the car with three things in mind. Originality, condition and cleanliness.

I have entered and judged Concours for 20 years.  I judged JM’s heavily modified DB9 with Dr Ulrich Bez at Blenheim this year.  It was a spectacular car, but even though it had been modified by Works Service, it was not as it originally left the factory at Gaydon!  This was the reason I gave the Vanquish S the trophy.

If a car has been modified to the owner’s specification, it should be entered into the Pride of Ownership classes.  There are a different set of rules defining the judging in that class, which accommodate modifications, such as on this DB9.

I hope this clarifies the situation.  In the judges briefing at Brooklands this month, I will endeavour to make this point very clear, so there are no ambiguities.  See you there!
Quote 0 0
RickH
Mark,

As a trainee judge you're going to have to give me a fair bit of guidance on what to look for

As the standard of cars as they left the factory can vary so much, is there some form of reference to which the cars are judged?  Or is it all down to personal knowledge?

Do you know which class I am going to help judge?  If so I could do a bit of background reading on the cars.

Rick
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
I am afraid that I disagree with Mark on this . There are customisation options that , fortunately or unfortunately , are offered post-production through Works Service . In many cases , these are completed even before the customer takes delivery , or after registration but before delivery , for a variety of reasons . In any case , one can just have , say ,  a retrim only in a special colour , with none being wiser as to whether it was done in the production line or not ; that car could easily be judged as having left Gaydon or Newport Pagnell like that !!!

I am also of the opinion that not allowing special cars to be equally judged will be detrimental to them reappearing in the Club events in the future , whatever their condition .

Works Service is an Aston Martin institution and ,  whether one likes it or not , it still carries the name Factory and not that of a Dealer .

Of course , there is also the option of strengthening standards in every class , where one could say ( for example ) that a retrimmed interior cannot be deemed as original because the quality of the hide is different to what it was on the production line etc , therefore it has to be marked lower than an original interior with patina .

If we accept a fully restored Elite Class winner then we can accept a special car from WS .

Just some provocative thoughts ...

John
Quote 0 0
jhoneyball
To be more provocative, I was under the impression that the Aston philosophy was "Dont just buy a car, have one made". How does tha stack up with "originality", ex factory or not?

And the POO class is a farce. Its just the same rating scales as the normal classes, with some fiddling going on. No mention is made for "developments of car after production", or "improving the breed" or any other items which should be on the list.

When I entered Tytty into POO, the judges lifted out the rear seat squabs and commented it was dusty underneath. I was incandescent. No mention for improved brakes, engine, cooling, electrics, interior, nor even consideration for the 20k miles the car did that year. No, the judges were more interested in dust underneath the rear seat and some dirt on the inside of the bumper. Oh, and the radiator (thin wall aluminium) surround was a little dusty too.

Until there is some meaningful justification for POO class, theres no point entering.

Harrumphf :-)
Quote 0 0
Dutch V8
... "the judges lifted out the rear seat squabs and commented it was dusty underneath" ... if this is the level of judging, perhaps I'd better just come along and admire everyone else's beautiful cars and hard work.

As we'll be driving over from Amsterdam with 2 kids in the back chomping through cheezy-quavers, wotsits and hula-hoops for the whole journey (*) , perhaps I'd rather the judges didn't see behind the rear seats !!!

On the other hand, as I've never entered a concours of any type before, perhaps I should just enter with a sense of fun and see what happens and not be too concerned about the results or any adverse comments.

All I know is that with a bit of "spit and polish" the car scrubs up better than I do, and is probably more mechanically sound as well (it is a bit younger than me though !). I'm not going to spend my weekend vacuuming behind every nook & cranny and polishing with Q-tips, but I'll certainly enjoy admiring those cars that have been so treated.

Tot 23e (Until the 23rd !).

(*) Only joking about the snacks ... my wife would never let them eat such rubbish and they are more-or-less banned from eating in the car anyway !
Quote 0 0
Hendrik D
I'm also going on Sunday, so I'll look forward to seeing all those shining Astons. Especially the Zagato line-up should make for an excellent view.

*drooling...*

Dutch V8, hopelijk tot dan 
Follow the DB7 GT/GTA Register on
[1734550218]  [instagram-icon-32-564129525]  [14702681981545489908]
Quote 0 0