mcatlin
I see from the Bonhams web site that one of the cars already entered is a MK1 four door Lagonda V8 with a guide price of between £140,000 - £180,000. There is also a DB4 listed for between £80,000 - £100,000.
Quote 0 0
holllandn
It will be interesting to see if the heady prices of last year are achieved in, what is clearly, an environment of lower business confidence.
Quote 0 0
pbrett
true but the lure of no capital gains tax on any increase in price might make them a safer bet than other investments, which, unfortunately with cars of this value people seem to view them as.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I'd love to buy the Lagonda.
Quote 0 0
tim_c
V8 power wrote:

true but the lure of no capital gains tax on any increase in price might make them a safer bet than other investments, which, unfortunately with cars of this value people seem to view them as.

How come there is no CGT on gains made on classic cars? - didn't know that
Registrar of Cars, AMHT
Quote 0 0
Russell
as far as i know there are strict limitations about it and the amount of cars you are allowed to own and sell in a given period or every car dealer would be paying no CGT.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
holllandn
I am not an accountant but I did ask my accountant once. Any motor vehicle which was constructed to carry passengers is exempt from CGT, This includes vintage cars. This exemption does not apply to taxi cabs, racing cars, single seat sport cars, commercial vehicles and motor cycles. These are counted as machinery for CGT. As Russell says, the HMRC look at the frequency of transactions to decide if you are making a personal acquisition and disposal rather than running a business for profit and then you are into corporate tax. Not sure what these are.

I must say I have never been bothered as I have never made a profit on buying and selling a car!
Quote 0 0
pbrett
I have always been happy not having any depreciation on my classics usually sold them for at least the same if not more than I bought them, so usually just paying for maintenance, insurance etc.

With this one (DBS V, with the increase in values reported, I even appear to be ahead of the curve after spending quite a bit to bring her up to scratch.

But a few high priced classics (DB4s or 5s and a ferrari or do seem a very good addition to any investment portfolio at the moment
Quote 0 0
RCVantage
Has anyone had this years Catalogue delivered yet ?

RC
Quote 0 0
tim_c
It normally arrives about 2 weeks before the event
Registrar of Cars, AMHT
Quote 0 0
upatel
I have just got the "Final Call for Entries" Leaflet with some of the lots available, there appears to be 5 DB4 of some variant, with one DB4 GT with 18,000 miles from original, and Barn find. There also seems to be 3 DB6's  (2 Vantages).
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
1984 Lagonda No. 13196 will be in the sale. Interesting S2 car. AML Engineering Department with FI & last generation VF dash.

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
holllandn
It looks like the catalogue (for automobilia) is up on their website now.
Quote 0 0
RCVantage
Nick,

Are you going to the Auction ? If so, would be good to finally put a face to the name - even though the Vantage has been swapped for a Vanquish...(although hopefully rectifying that soon?)

RC
Quote 0 0
holllandn
Probably. I will pm you.
Quote 0 0
jhoneyball
I'm booked into the travellodge between m1 and np for the friday and saturday nights.
Quote 0 0
sprevett
I'm going  banana
For reasons of nostalgia and an impending sense of 'this might be the last one at NP' I have booked myself and girlfriend on the works premium lunch package for a bit of totally frivolous and unjustifiable fun - especially as I have no money to spend on the lots being auctioned! I will be going in the old DBSV8 of course. look forward to meeting up with anyone else going.

Steve P
Quote 0 0
astony
Excuse my ignorance as I haven't attended the Bonhams Auction previously. Do I have to order a catalogue to gain entry, or can I just 'pitch up' on the day?

Quote 0 0
mcatlin
You can do both. I usually purchase mine on the day.
Quote 0 0
astony
Thanks V12
Quote 0 0
wondercat
Yes thanks Martin, whats the parking like on the day?

DB7 the model that saved the marque.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I've not found it a problem to be honest. I try and arrive late morning for coffee and something to eat and have found a parking space a short walk from the factory. I think I'm coming sans wife this year so may come earlier to have a good look around before the action starts. Looking around the Astons parked around the place can be an education for a newbie like me.
Quote 0 0
wondercat
Thanks again, still undecided, may see you there.

DB7 the model that saved the marque.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I hope so as it's always nice to put a name to a face. I'll be the one regretting bitterly not being able to bid on anything!
Quote 0 0