Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
GillianF

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #1 
We joined Area 22 at this event yesterday.  There were many interesting cars on parade but this one was very special.

P1170836.jpeg 

Vanquish Rider

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #2 
I so love the colour on these cars. It can only be one manufacturer as soon as you see it. Lovely car also. 

Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
John Purser

AMOC life member
Reply with quote  #3 
Any idea on the (chassis) number ? Assuming it's a 'real' one !
Looks great, pity about the rollover bar.
GillianF

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Purser
Any idea on the (chassis) number ? Assuming it's a 'real' one !
Looks great, pity about the rollover bar.

Hi John - no chasis number though we were assured it was the real thing.  Here is a shot showing the reg if that helps.  The owner wasn't there it was being driven by the Chief Marshall.

Gillian

P1170829.jpeg 

nmv2and3

AMOC Guest
Reply with quote  #5 
It's competed at Goodwood Revival so hardly a Bill Monk special from just up the road!
Vanquish Rider

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #6 
Needs an MOT though!!!

Z.jpg 

GillianF

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #7 
[QUOTE=Vanquish Rider]Needs an MOT though!!

Z.jpgNot if it was first registered over 40 years ago (I think) most classics are exempt from MOT's now.
Vanquish Rider

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #8 
Agreed but 2012 was long before that rule came into force. Unless it has been in storage?

But the MOT checker is a good way of spotting copy cars (Which I approve of by the way, as long as they are done properly of course).

GillianF

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #9 
Well here's another for you to ponder. Don't know about the Jag but the passenger was definitely the real thing!

P1170832.jpeg 

John Purser

AMOC life member
Reply with quote  #10 
Gotta be Norman Dewis ! What a guy.
Fallonator

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #11 
Driver looks a bit like Ed China. Might be a wheeler dealer car [frown]
99hjhm

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #12 
The DB3S is Chassis 104, engine number DP/101/11

Its registered as Aston Martin Virage Volante, first registered 12-11-1990 according to my sources. Yes really.

You do have to be careful around those parts as NMV says, I have a series of photos taken by an MOT tester from those parts and the Bill Monk built car(probably an early one) is as good as a factory 3S.

rcfurse

Real user
Reply with quote  #13 
Bill was pretty good at his craft. He rebuilt my 2/4 and a couple of other cars.
GillianF

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #14 
The DB3S is Chassis 104, engine number DP/101/11

Its registered as Aston Martin Virage Volante, first registered 12-11-1990 according to my sources. Yes really.

You do have to be careful around those parts as NMV says, I have a series of photos taken by an MOT tester from those parts and the Bill Monk built car(probably an early one) is as good as a factory 3S.

Ah well hoodwinked or not it was still a thing of beauty to look at! 
Vanquish Rider

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #15 
Surely it needs an MOT then if it is only a 1990 car?

I also thought Lord March did not allow recreations to be raced at Goodwood. He spoke firmly enough about this when the DB4GT recreations were getting built? However, I understand much of what we see race at Goodwood these days is a carbon copy of the real thing which is tucked away safe somewhere? It's only a rumour, but this car adds more substance to it?

rcfurse

Real user
Reply with quote  #16 
We always seem to get back to the same place. Triggers Broom.
Bill Monk built a lot or cars, some more authentic copies than others but the good ones are a joy to behold, a bit like Mo55ie.
Vanquish Rider

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #17 
I'd love one. No complaints from me, when they are made that well and that genuinely it would offer a very realistic experience. Just Like MO55IE.

Triggers broom, kind of like 33 EJB, I wonder how much of that car actually was on the Monte wine?

Purest Green

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #18 
IMG_5601.jpg 
My own photo of OXE 474 at the Goodwood Revival.

I am happy to bet anyone a tenner that it's the real deal, a DB3S/104 (1955)...with an illustrious racing history.

If you are in any doubt, please speak to Sir Stirling Moss, shown in the photo below driving it at Goodwood.

(The car was in the US for most of its life, hence the first UK registration in 1990.)

Can I please encourage all contributors to this forum to get their information on authenticity correct before posting.

Aston Martin DB3S - Chassis: DB3S/104 - Driver: Sir Stirling Moss  - 2016 Goodwood Revival

Purest Green

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #19 
While we're at it, the D-Type is the 1957 Jaguar D-type "Long Nose", the car that placed second at Le Mans that year behind its race-winning Ecurie Ecosse sister entrant.

Yes, that's also a real one!

Here's my own photo from 2017 Concours of Elegance...a very sunny day.

IMG_0607.jpg 

Don't underestimate the quality of cars attending Bromyard Speed Festival.

IMG_2837-1.jpg 

Vanquish Rider

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #20 
Great to hear the car is the real deal. However, still love those super authentic homage cars. Built correctly they offer the full experience. And that has to be a good thing.

John Purser

AMOC life member
Reply with quote  #21 
Real deal as in 'know history' : when DB3S/112 was written off at Pikes Peak, Len Auerbach got hold of the body and used it on /104, which for reasons I'm nor sure of (but someone will know for sure) had lost its original body when owned in the USA by a driver called Downing. Not really Triggers Broom, though !
Purest Green

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #22 

One of the more successful privateers of the DB3S was the Australian team that would become known as 'The Kangaroo Stable.' Their stable consisted of customer cars DB3S/102, 103, and 104 (this car). The cars were painted in the matching, Aston Martin racing colour of Almond Green metallic with a yellow flash on the bonnet.

DB3S/104 was completed on May 23, 1955. It was built just a few days prior to the Hyeres 12 Hours, where it would finish Third overall with owner/driver Les Cosh and co-pilot Dick Cobden. At the close of the European season, it was the only one of the three Kangaroos Stable cars which did not go Australia. Instead, it was sold by Cosh to a California racer named Rob Carveth in October of 1955. The car was brought to San Francisco in January of 1956 and a short time later, had its body removed and re-painted. It was given a black paint scheme and the 'lucky' number 54. Its first US race was at Stockton, CA on March 18th where it finished Seventh overall. The car would race another 22 events in 1956, earning at least two podium finishes and many Firsts in Class. 

In January of 1957, during a practice lap in Pomona, the crankshaft broke and damaged the block. VB6K/104 was replaced by the engine from DB3S/115 (VB6K/115). 

Carveth ordered a second DB3S in 1957. The factory promised him an ex-Works DB3S (chassis number DB3S/9), which was slated to go too the Nürburgring as a spare car for its last team race. The car was driven over rough roads from Dunkirk to Nürburgring and damaged its body mountings at the front and rear of the car, making it unsuitable for competition. The Aston Martin team manager, John Wyer, who had promised Carveth a Works car, commissioned a 'new' Works car produced by the Aston Racing Department to fulfill his commitment. This 11th and final Works car was given chassis number DB3S/11 and painted black. It was shipped to San Francisco, arriving in August of 1957.

With two DB3S cars, Carveth usually brought both cars to his races, often loaning out DB3S/104 to others. Phil Hill drove the car in some practice laps and Carroll Shelby achieved a lap record at Ford Sumner, New Mexico in 1956.

Carveth's final outing with DB3S/104 was at Laguna Seca on June 13, 1958. It was sold in early 1959 to Larry Albedi who raced it only once. In June of that year, the car was sold to Bob Downing, also of California, who raced it twice more at Laguna Seca.

Downing intended to create a V8 street rod project out of the car, and sold the original body to Ken Wallis who installed it on DB3S/8. By 1964, Downing changed his decision for the car, and had the body from DB3S/112 which had been damaged in the right rear end racing at Laguna Seca in 1963, installed on the car. A short time later, DB3S/104 was put in a chicken coop where it would remain until the 1970s, when it was acquired by Len Auerbach.

While in Auerbach's care, the car was given a nut-and-bolt restoration which was completed in 1976. It was then raced in historic competition until 1989, when it was sold to Peter Agg in the UK. Agg re-restored the car putting it back to its original Almond Green livery. Agg ran the DB3S in several vintage races in the mid 1990s.

In 2005, the car was purchased by a U.S. citizen and the car returned back to the United States. It was shown only once, at the Quail, A Motorsports Gathering in Carmel, CA in 2007, where it took a First in Class Award.

This car, chassis number DB3S/104, is one of 20 'customer' DB3S, and one of only 31 examples built in total, including the Works team cars. 

In 2009, this Aston Martin DB3S was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions.

(source: Conceptcarz)

GillianF

AMOC member
Reply with quote  #23 
Wow that's very thorough thanks.  I never realised when I posted one photo it would cause such controversy! [smile]
rcfurse

Real user
Reply with quote  #24 
And there was I thinking that I had overlooked the Virage Volante for my stable. It was very elegant!
John Purser

AMOC life member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianF
Wow that's very thorough thanks.  I never realised when I posted one photo it would cause such controversy! [smile]

I think that is 'create such interest' - but I'm puzzled about the Pikes Peak reference in the normally infallible "Register"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.