TVJL
Some considerable time ago now (how it flies by), Olympus and I discussed the idea of driving 'hell for leather' (or an approximation thereof) from St. James', London across Europe ending up after about 4 days at the Royal Athens Yacht Club, Greece. We thought we might try for 10 or 12 cars, two up, stopping at marvelous hostelries along the way. If you will, we thought of this as a 'one marque' much more civilised version of the Cannonball thing.

Area 00 would like to revive the idea. Originally, we were going to stage it this year (you can tell how long ago we discussed all of this). Time has slipped and, as the event will take some planning, (realistically) we must now think of 2011.

All ideas and thought gratefully received.
Quote 0 0
cresta4
great idea. would consider joining depending when the trip takes place. marc
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Thanks Marc. It would be great to have you on board. I will keep you in the loop as things progress.

NB I have started a parallel thread under "UK Events", for obvious reasons.

Tim
Quote 0 0
Webby
Tzatziki at Mikrolimano sounds like a nice way to nurse the inevitable hangover occasioned by the 75th Anniversary celebrations.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Did you have any particular venue in mind, Roger?

http://www.greece-athens.com/place.php?place_id=81

PS I mentioned 2011, rather than 2010 (sadly). But, where there's a will..............
Quote 0 0
Webby
The Yacht Club of Greece, of course. I haven't been there since the seventies, when it was the Royal Yacht Club of Greece, but I'm sure the club house is still as enticing.

AMOC 2010 is rather full of events so 2011 is better in my book.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Well, I'd be looking for a hell of a lot more when dining in YCG than Tzatziki!
Quote 0 0
Webby
I was more interested in the drinks that accompany a meze!
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Oh YES!  ;D

So, lads and lassies - before we've hardly begun, Webby has offered us a tantalising vision of the fare that might well be before us at the end of the run. Now, I wonder what we might discover on our route?
Quote 0 0
SteveV
Put me on the list.
Quote 0 0
mrtbird
Hi
Me and my wife normally drive down through Greece to Turkey then to Cyprus it is a lovely drive unfortunately my wife can't travel in the Aston but I would recommend to do it at least once just for the views and driving experience
We normally get an overnight ferry from Ancona to Patra
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Steve, you're on the list! Great to have you on board.

Mr T, thanks for your thoughts. We are at the early stages of planning the actual route, stop-off venue(s) etc., so all such thoughts are very gratefully received.
Quote 0 0
SteveV
Probably too far off-route for the trip down, but on the way home Plum will try and call in at my brothers place not far from Nice...

http://www.le-foulon.com/route-napoleon.asp

Steve
Quote 0 0
filandeb
Tim, could you provisionally put myself and my wife on the list...if the event is likely to be in school holidays.

Phil
Quote 0 0
williamp
You do know Tim is a closet Cliff Richard fan, and you'll all end up travelling there by London bus, dont you???

Seriosuly this sounds like a great event. cant do it, but would love to hear all about it.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Ladies and gentlemen,

Having been given a well-timed prod by a forumite (thanks Steve ), I thought that I had better bring this thread up-to-date.

Some forward planning has been done but we've reached a sticking point, principally on the question of suitable dates. The operative competing factors seem to be: school holidays (within or without); average monthly temperatures (it gets bloody hot in Greece and neighbouring environs during July and August); overall length of trip (in terms of number of days over which the event should be run); train(ing) it back (or not, depending on your point of view); and individual personal commitments (e.g. I pretend to catch sea trout and salmon in Scotland during the early part of July each year).

Could all those who have expressed an interest in this splendiferous proposed event (both on and off line) let me know their thoughts, please. We can't really take things much further forward (e.g. writing something for AM News etc.) without coming to a firm view on timing.

Best regards to all,

Tim
Quote 0 0
SteveV
Tim,

May is no good for us but anytime in June is promising - Plum doesn't have air con so later in the year will leave us a rather dishevelled. As to length of trip, 4-5 days sounds about right, perhaps 6 depending on route.

We always intended to drive back, perhaps taking a ferry over to Italy and meandering home via my brothers hotel near Nice.

Well done for taking on the task of organising this quite excellent adventure.

Steve, Karen and Plum.
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
You would not mind me appearing in a 599 GTO...I do not want to put miles on the Vanquish S  ;D
Quote 0 0
TVJL
John, you may appear in any vehicle you like. Your presence will be Aston(ness/ish/esque) enough.  ;D
Quote 0 0
magic_marker
So when is this actually going to go ahead? Sounds like a great idea!!

Might meet you half way or in Athens, depending on the program.
Quote 0 0
magic_marker
... an interesting route idea might be to head down to the S of France and hug the Italian coastline down past Portofino, swinging to the Italian east coast at Florence or lower down in Rome. This would be vastly more picturesque and entertaining than the normal route down l'Autostrada di Milano that crosses Italy North-South, unless we were to pass Milan to the North and pass through Lake Como, aiming to transit to Greece from a north-easterly port / overland.

There are three possible routes into Greece:

1. Overland (divert up to Austria / Slovakia and head down)
2. Ferry from Ancona (or Venice) to Patra (abt 22-23h)
3. Ferry from Bari (abt 12h)

We can dismiss the first out of hand because of the risks of taking a convoy of Astons through the Balkans (though on reflection if properly organised with local authorities that could be quite fun) ... which leaves the two ferry options.

Ancona (/Venice)
Relatively convenient crossing point but given that its a whole day and the objective is to drive it has its upsides and downsides thaht can be weighed up accly. There's a very decent hotel in the verdant hills above Ancona offering fantastic food (I was last there 6 years ago and I still remember the steak!!) as well as security for the cars - Italian ports are notorious.

Bari
The fastest crossing point with the benefit that you get to see quite a bit of Italy on the way. Never stayed there (there are far better places) so the idea is to arrive at teh port in time for the ship and cross over, taking care to ensure the cars are attended AT ALL TIMES by at least one person.

Once in Greece (Patras) there are several options:

1. Head south to Pylos and the fabulous Costa Navarino (recently opened) for those wishing to unwind in spectacular opulence.
2. Head to Athens direct (abt 2.5h)
3. Head to Athens via tour of the Peloponnese (which have some of the best roads in Greece - can take a day or so)

I'm sure the Astons would receive great welcome by the local historic car clubs and some events could surely be laid on in Athens.

Anyways, soem ideas 
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Wonderful ideas, Mr MM - thank you very much. We have an Area 00 lunch this Friday in London (please note, to those thinking of coming along this month) and I will advance your super ideas then.

Date-wise, I think that we probably ought to consider only the months of May, June and September (but please tell me if you do not agree). There will be potential clashes with other events that members may be attending, of course, e.g. Monaco GP (29/; Le Mans (10/; Goodwood Revival (16/.

When we first discussed the idea of this event, I think Olympus favoured / suggested taking the ferry from Bari. Have you any idea how long your suggested route (London to Bari) might take (assuming modern speeds)?

Regards,

Tim
Quote 0 0
magic_marker
Hey Tim,

May could be interesting and it could be timed to combine with some of the members who have just finished enjoying their spell in Monaco - June is about as late as I would leave it.

Otherwise September probably has the best combination of reduced summer traffic, cooler evenings (and temperatures in general).

I would agree with Olympus - I think Bari is probably the best crossing point. London - Bari on a DIRECT route would probably not exceed 17-18 driving hours (i've done london-Ancona in 13 driving hours but that was rarely dropping below 130mph). Meandering route through Italy would take even longer but be more fun (especially the Amalfi coast)

Unfortunately I will be in New York on friday otherwise I would have tried to drop round to your lunch and meet you guys.

Best,

George
Quote 0 0
SteveV
Chaps late May is a no go for me. Each year I organize the Royal Escape Race ( http://www.royalescaperace.co.uk ) which in 2011 happens Friday 27 - 29 May.
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
I think that Ancona offers a better choice of sailings; also, Bari is now a port which covers more truck traffic between Italy and Greece.

2011 will be horrendously busy for me as I'll have to be in London most of the time for the Games' preparations, as the year prior to the Olympics always is.

Definitely a job for the 599 GTO then  ;D
Quote 0 0