MPD Show full post »
tony-hall-40
think i'll pass....costs nothing at other events including Hever...granted you pay to get in...but £75.00 to park....robbery....
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
I will make every effort to be at the Greenwich concours, then there's Hever of course especially as Tony arrranged it for my birthday and I'm going on the Grand European Tour (plus there's the Goodwood stuff) so I expect MrsB will have had enough of car events truth be told
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
asington
It is a great shame that some 'out-of-towners' may find the cost to park somewhat prohibitive, but as I live over 250 miles from this event, I would still have to pay £40 per night to garage my DB7 Volante - in all fairness an extra few quid to be part of this glorious event is not as bad as it sounds.
Quote 0 0
MPD
Brital wrote:

I was rather looking forward to participating! I don't mind the charge for parking on the Broadwalk, but effectively being impounded from Saturday pm until 5pm Sunday rather takes the edge off things I fear for those who have to balance other commitments out of town as well. I suspect we may have to hope there will be more local ways of celebrating.

If you decide to park in Perks Field, you may leave at anytime that suits you.
Quote 0 0
MPD
tony-hall-40 wrote:

think i'll pass....costs nothing at other events including Hever...granted you pay to get in...but £75.00 to park....robbery....

If you decide to visit and do not bring a car, there will be no entry charge to this event!

The cost of parking is to offset the venue hire charge made by The Royal Parks, which isn't cheap I can assure you.
Quote 0 0
MPD
Silverspeed wrote:

Any news on the venue for the 'party' yet?

The party the evening before the event is being arranged by AML Ltd. We have however, secured an invitation for any AMOC members that may wish to attend.  Tickets will be available directly from AML. They are yet to announce the final details, but suspect it will be imminent.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
tony-hall-40 wrote:

but £75.00 to park....robbery....

Overnight in London in  a basement car park last week was £48....
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
there's me thinking Dick Turpin was dead.....but is alive and well and runs Westminister / chelsea and kensington councils....
Quote 0 0
Russell
tony-hall-40 wrote:

there's me thinking Dick Turpin was dead.....but is alive and well and runs Westminister / chelsea and kensington councils....

think you will find that is NCP Tony.
as far as i know you can park on a meter for free overnight if you want care of the council.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
Prattking
I'm afraid these sort of costs counts me out. Shame really that ordinary members should be treated like this when the event is really a PR exercise for AML who would look silly if no members cars were available for the event. What would it look like with only half a dozen cars from the factory on display. >
Quote 0 0
weeksp
I have to agree with my fellow members !  I am very disappointed that both the charges and restrictions placed on the displaying of cars will deter a great many members from travelling down to London in their Astons ! The charges are excessive in my book to say the least and I am sure the Royal Parks will be making a handsome sum from the event - which in my book was meant to be a great day out for ALL Aston Martin fans/owners without costing a small fortune !
The additional costs of the parking fee and staying in London overnight in order to have your Aston on the Broadwalk, in addition to the cost of fuel is a great shame and will deter many ordinary members who are exactly the people I thought this event was meant to attract.           
Quote 0 0
Edsun
Mark Donoghue wrote:

If you decide to visit and do not bring a car, there will be no entry charge to this event!

The cost of parking is to offset the venue hire charge made by The Royal Parks, which isn't cheap I can assure you.

Mark,

I appreciate that the Royal Parks charge is likely to be very high, but if AML would like a great turnout on the Boardwalk, which is of course likely to lead to publicity of the marque, perhaps they should consider contributing towards the cost. £100 is ridiculous - £25, perhaps, reasonable. I will park on Kensington High Street, free from 6.30pm on Saturday, overnight, and all day Sunday on a single yellow or meter. No real worries of theft or destruction of the car with Kensington Palace and many embassies very nearby, with the accompanying police presence. If AML would like the Boardwallk lined by AML cars they may want to revisit this issue.

I don't want to be a killjoy, and appreciate the effort that goes into these occasions but £100 is too steep when it's a commercial organisation, AML, that reaps the benefit of AMOC members turning up with their cars.
Quote 0 0
Edsun
LUNCH - On a separate issue, ff anyone would like to get together for a reasonable price lunch very close to the Boardwalk on Sunday I would be very happy to organise, as I live nearby and have 'contacts' with two local hostelries. Park for free on the street, have a good lunch and escape for less money than the Royal Parks demand.

Post here, or M2M if interested. If any responses I will sound out the 'hostelries' with a view to a good deal.
Quote 0 0
DB PHiL
As said by others, a bit steep for me! £75   May try the surrounding streets if theyre not already full!
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Could anyone confirm what is incuded in the £75 Sunday ticket; is it only parking in the field or does it include a tour of Kensington Palace as usual AMOC concours events held at country houses/places of interest?

Quote 0 0
TVJL
Mark Donoghue wrote:

The party the evening before the event is being arranged by AML Ltd. We have however, secured an invitation for any AMOC members that may wish to attend.  Tickets will be available directly from AML. They are yet to announce the final details, but suspect it will be imminent.

QED - What this travesty has always been about is now 'writ large'.

Enthusiasts of the marque will have to live with the resulting chaos created by this collective genuflection to a crass cynical marketing exercise long after the excrescences of this year are forgotten.
Quote 0 0
weeksp
Spot on ed !!  AML should put their hands in their pockets and subsidise the parking in my opinion !  They will be the ones who gain the most from this venue and it is us, the owners, members that keep them in business by purchasing their cars and then paying a small fortune for both parts ansd servicing !  come on Aston Martin lets see some great customer service you can afford it ! 
Quote 0 0
John Purser
DB PHiL wrote:

May try the surrounding streets if theyre not already full!

As I found to my cost on Tuesday night, something that wasn't double yellow / residents / occupied by another car was fairly difficult to find so I gave in to the off-street. Plus the problem in London (and other places with on-street parking) is not the theft aspect but the casual / malicious damage.
I may follow the lead of Lionel Martin and cycle in....
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
It would be nice to see the breakdown of the ticket price.....what and how much goes to who and where?....unless the whole 75 or 100 pounds is going straight to the Royal Parks?.....in which case i find wholly unpleaseant as we already pay for the up keep of the parks in our taxes etc.....if a deposit was required to insure against some oinks turning up and doing donuts over the lawns , i could understand , because as 99% of us are sensible...(Russell not you).....the likely hood of this happening would be remote and the deposit returned.....

so if someone could provide us with costs it would be much apprciated...as our new chairman i believe once said....a new and more transparent club for everyone.....
and if he didn't....he should of....
Quote 0 0
Edsun
I have sympathy for the Royal Parks. Their income from the government has reduced in recent years, down to £11m in 11/12 from £17m the year before. To raise funds, gardeners have been thrown out of their cottages so that they can be rented out - a Bentley Continental is normally parked outside one in Kensington Gardens. Events such as the ghastly Winter Wonderland and rock concerts gave income of £4.8m in 11/12. However, Westminster Council has reduced the number of concerts they can hold in the park this year, due to complaints about noise, and thus more cash will be needed from other events.

That's why we are paying!

If you are really interested see: http://www.royalparks.org.uk/__documents/the-royal-parks/publications/annual-reports/trp-annual-report-and-accounts-2011-12.pdf
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
EdSunV8 wrote:
However, Westminster Council has reduced the number of concerts they can hold in the park this year, due to complaints about noise

So are we to blame Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen for running over ther time at last summers event?

Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
you miss my point...i do not care about the royal parks budget or lack of....i care about how much this event is costing...is it financially viable?....why are the members being asked to foot the bill?...are AML making a contribution other than turning up in a few cars?...and if they do...are they being charged?......my request relates soley on what it is costing the club....just wanna know where my hard earned is going?....after all the rubbish with racing , losing money hand over fist?....a loss is something i do not want the club to have...again....
Quote 0 0
Brital
When I first read about the Centenary Concours, I (in my naivety  ???) assumed it would be akin to the excellent event organised by Amalia Richardson and Area 13 at Breamore (and others reported in AM News). We could turn up, park along the Broadwalk and picnic and stroll along admiring other members cars and chatting to them and then take in the 100 "specially invited" cars that were actually being judged in the concours. It now seems that what we are in effect being asked to provide is an extended display without either the facility to picnic alongside our pride and joy, or even move it when ready to leave unless we opt for Perks field. I wonder what the perks are and who gets them?? The charges for parking do look rather cheeky by comparison to the under £50/head for a fantastic Christmas lunch and access to the motor museum and Bond exhibition at Beaulieu organised by Anne-marie and Area 1. I too appreciate that Mark has put a lot of effort into this, but like others I wonder if this isn't conferring more benefit on AML than on rank and file AMOC members. I was quite excited about attending, and wouldn't mind paying for the gold plated leaves of grass I may flatten if I thought the fun, atmosphere and convivial company on the day would compare favourably with the above events. Now I am not sure it will so I think we shall pass and look for perhaps a less grand but more involving way of celebrating the centenary.        
Rattus Norvegicus. Never very far away. Allegedly the world's most successful mammal. 
Quote 0 0
Russell
Rich5ltr wrote:

Could anyone confirm what is incuded in the £75 Sunday ticket;

Fergy comes and blows you. For the £100 parking its Pippa.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
Brital
Russell wrote:
Fergy comes and blows you. For the £100 parking its Pippa

That would certainly ginger up the morning, but might spoil the appetite for lunch......
Rattus Norvegicus. Never very far away. Allegedly the world's most successful mammal. 
Quote 0 0