Lord Rowley Show full post »
John Purser
Does the Falklands licence entitle you to drive a vehicle or a flock of sheep ?

Getting back on topic (spoilsport....!) I wonder what a garage does if someone with, say, a German driving licence comes for a test drive ?
It's valid for use in UK, just not issued here and no link to a UK address if they drive off with the demonstrator and keep it a week.
Sounds like a very cheap car hire scam.....or maybe just theft by deception.
Quote 0 0
filandeb
It lets me drive a tractor....

Perhaps the dealer could take a credit card scan and check the credit limit before they get the keys, I suppose that's why they trust you with hire cars and a foreign license. Who knows?
Quote 0 0
armo42
In "the good old days " one had an international driving licence, still got mine somewhere , one had to change the head light lamps over to a Yellow colour so they did not blind drivers on the continent  and if i recall correctly the British government put a 5 pound restriction on cash being carried out of the county on vacation or some such silly figure.  Any one recall ? 
born in the 40's stuck in the 60's
Quote 0 0
asington
Yes I do! The max I think was £10 which went a lot further 'back in them days'! Do you remember getting change from a 1/- for fish and chips? I think we've been here before, but petrol at 4/9d a gallon was also the norm 'when I were a lad'! Maybe we should have a "Memories" thread?
Quote 0 0
jon7cda
Hey Webby
This isn't an event!
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
You could borrow my Afghan International Driving Licence which I think entitles me to drive for 12 months in the UK.
Roger I
Quote 0 0
ChrisDodd
John Purser wrote:

Mine's a little book with red covers.... ;D

Might be worth checking the validity of that little red book John - it expired in 1971.....
Quote 0 0
Lord Rowley
Wedgie, that's because the peshmerga fighters think your Lagonda is some form of secret military vehicle.
Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
asington wrote:

Yes I do! The max I think was £10 which went a lot further 'back in them days'! Do you remember getting change from a 1/- for fish and chips? I think we've been here before, but petrol at 4/9d a gallon was also the norm 'when I were a lad'! Maybe we should have a "Memories" thread?

It would probably get deleted Andrew without an explanation like another thread did in Bloxham last week which was all about DB7's!!!!!!!!.

Regards,
Quote 0 0
dwell
asington wrote:

I also recall petrol at that price, and at the time we were paying 2/- a pint for beer. If fuel was still 2.5x beer we would be paying £1.90 a litre by my man maths - suddenly running the Aston seems a bargain, I should have done it years ago!!
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Rich5ltr wrote:

I caved in and got a plastic card one last month. My old pink & green paper one was falling apart and I got fed up with sellotaping it together.

I keep mine on principle.

It's now one of those documents that requires white cotton gloves before one can handle it.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
ChrisDodd wrote:

Might be worth checking the validity of that little red book John - it expired in 1971.....

I know, but policemen all look so young ..................
Quote 0 0
ChrisDodd
AstonZagato wrote:

It's now one of those documents that requires white cotton gloves before one can handle it.

avoiding fingerprints?

John Purser wrote:

I know, but policemen all look so young ..................

They ARE so young!
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
asington wrote:

You must be older than me or maybe petrol was much more expensive in London when I grew up but the first I remember was going to fill my brother's Sunbeam Rapier and it being 6/7 gallon. He would take great delight in saying 3 gallons please and keep the change as he handed over a pound note. I also remember the first pints I bought were 1/11 for Youngs ordinary bitter in the public bar. In another pub we drank in on the river at Kew it was 2/6 for a pint of London Pride. How strange now to think that beer was priced differently in different bars! 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
asington
Well I'm 70 in a few weeks so I remember prices from the late 50's. I was dragged up in Cheshire and was incarcerated in Ruthin School for nearly 5 years. Ho ho! Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Rich5ltr wrote:

You must be older than me or maybe petrol was much more expensive in London when I grew up but the first I remember was going to fill my brother's Sunbeam Rapier and it being 6/7 gallon. He would take great delight in saying 3 gallons please and keep the change as he handed over a pound note. I also remember the first pints I bought were 1/11 for Youngs ordinary bitter in the public bar. In another pub we drank in on the river at Kew it was 2/6 for a pint of London Pride. How strange now to think that beer was priced differently in different bars! 

I am so old/stupid I can't remember how much a pint or a gallon of petrol was when I first started drinking/driving.
Roger I
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
I remember because it was 3 gallons for a pound and 4 pints for ten bob!
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
ChrisDodd
This thread makes one wonder what the OC of AMOC stands for....Old Codgers??? (and yes I probably do qualify!) Reminds me of a sketch where a bunch of people sat around saying "..... you were lucky, in my day, we had to make do with..."
Quote 0 0
John Purser
The average age (where we know the age of a member to work out an average or mean) is over 50 ish and so not everyone will recognise 'ten bob' and red licences. But if they don't, they have a right to ignore us....... ;D
Quote 0 0
armo42
A pint of beer ( the real stuff ) a packet of woodbines and change from 2 bob was it ?
Once tried a Capstan full strength fag in my silly youth (one drag and i nearly fainted )
Fortunately i kicked the habit 50 + years ago. ( 74 and counting)
born in the 40's stuck in the 60's
Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
John Purser wrote:

The average age (where we know the age of a member to work out an average or mean) is over 50 ish and so not everyone will recognise 'ten bob' and red licences. But if they don't, they have a right to ignore us....... ;D

At 47 I still remember my " shilling a week " pocket money ( 5p ) and I still have my little Brown HGV licence book too.

Bath night on a Wednesday night " In the tin bath " and a shower on the Sunday afternoon at the swimming baths ( all 10 of us ).

It was grim up north but fond memories of those times where we actually had values and standards in this country.

I was caught aged 12 smoking my Dads King Edward cigars and he made me smoke a full one in the shed and then made me eat one straight afterwards.

I never smoked again after that day.

Regards,
Quote 0 0