glindstrom
I am starting to plan my trip to England in June and am wondering if there's anything to see today at the old Feltham works site.

I gather the village of Feltham has been swallowed up by the greater London sprawl - but I'm wondering what is on the old works site today?  Is there even a plaque?

Thanks,
  --Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Hi Gary, sadly there is nothing left. You should contact Barry Halton who organised an excellent Feltham tour this summer which started in Hanworth Park, the site of the Feltham factory. This is now Feltham Rugby Football Club and you can explore it on Google maps/Earth using that name. Barry produced an excellent booklet to accompany the tour which contained some interesting information about the factory.

You are also correct in assuming Feltham is now a very lacklustre suburb of London, being on the edges of Heathrow Airport it consists mainly cheap factories, logistics and airport services. Nothing much to commend it!

I have also sent you an email on this subject. Rich...
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
John Purser
Remember, there were two Feltham sites - prewar, Victoria Road where Bertelli and Renwick set up shop after the original business had failed at Abingdon Road (where there is a plaque).
Harry Bertelli had his body building/coachworks next door. Even then, Feltham was more than a village.
That factory site was damaged in later stages of the war and it didn't, it seems, come with the business David Brown bought from Gordon Sutherland.
It's also now changed - it's a retail park.
DB rented some aircraft hangers, part of the old Hanworth Air Park about a mile (?) away and consolidated it all there, with the small amount of stuff that came from Lagonda's site at Staines.
That is where the Feltham tour started from.
So you will be able to see Victoria Road and the rugby club on Google maps.
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
Very interesting - thanks, John.
  --Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
John Purser
In fact. on Google maps, where Victoria Road becomes Mono Lane (getting further away from Feltham High  Street) is a block of apartments called Bertelli Place - just beyond that is the retail park, actually in Mono Lane and heading towards Hanworth Park. The power of Google.....
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
I see your visit to the UK is now officially an event Gary

Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
Maybe we could possible make Gary's visit to England a little better in the way of some of us local owners maybe meet up with our cars at a nice location/pub and give Gary a treat????
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
v12 volante man wrote:
Maybe we could possible make Gary's visit to England a little better in the way of some of us local owners maybe meet up with our cars at a nice location/pub and give Gary a treat?

I would be hono(u)red if some such gathering(s) were to be arranged.

I plan to focus on car related activities that week, so I have sent regrets to HRM The Queen.  However, I would not pass up a chance to meet William, George and Kate - especially the last.  Perhaps William could borrow his Dad's DB6 again? Surely he has shed his "L" badge ignominy by now ...

--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
Hee hee, Don't worry Gary, Her Majesty is mostly around my house most days for a cuppa tea and a cake so it will not put her out too much if you are busy.!!!!!!!

Regards,
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Give us your dates ASAP Gary and I am sure some of us can arrange to meet up.
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
John Purser wrote:
Give us your dates ASAP Gary and I am sure some of us can arrange to meet up.

John, there's still lots of time - I arrive at LHR Monday June 2 and putter around classical music sites in London until Sunday June 8. From then until Monday June 16 when I fly out of LHR I plan to tour car sites in south and central England.

At present the agenda is open, but my wish list includes Drayton St Leonard, Beaulieu, Gaydon, and Coventry (for the Jaguar side of me).

I'll be hiring a car for that week, as I believe I already mentioned. Some wag suggested I hire a Cygnet, but isn't that a Toyota under the skin?

Regards,
--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Gary, I would add the Heritage Motor Museum http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/whats-on-this-week/museum-exhibitions/jaguar-heritage-collection/#.UtlroUdFCt8 to your list. It's close to Gaydon and has an interesting Jaguar display.

Quote 0 0
wondercat
Gary, this is an excellent museum, I prefer it to Beaulieu.
http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/home.php

DB7 the model that saved the marque.
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
wondercat wrote:
Gary, this is an excellent museum, I prefer it to Beaulieu.
http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/home.php

Thank you for the suggestion - I will add it to my planning list.

--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
Gary, Browns Lane has all gone now but I think the Jaguar heritage museum might still be there or close by.

Gaydon is ok ( my own view ) I went there last month and was a little disappointed with the general lay out of the cars and their condition. The Aston stand upstairs was also lacking in cars.

Gaydon would be a great place to have a central meeting up in your honour with out cars etc and we could have lunch there as the café is open all day.

Regards,
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
v12 volante man wrote:
Gary, Browns Lane has all gone now but I think the Jaguar heritage museum might still be there or close by.

The Jaguar Collection has moved and from what I can work out is now at The Heritage Museum in Gaydon. http://www.jaguarheritage.org/Museum.aspx

Quote 0 0
asington
We had a marvellous AML 'factory tour' last year that started with a light lunch at the cafeteria in the Gaydon Motor Heritage Museum (MHM) which is just next door the  factory. The food is very fresh and perfectly adequate, however whilst the presentation of the cars isn't to everyone's liking, there is plenty to see - even my wife found it interesting and she certainly isn't a 'petrol head'. The location of the MHM is very convenient for all travelling on the M40 and is clearly sign-posted.
Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
Agreed asington, location is perfect access wise.

The Jaguar collection is very big so a lot of it is in storage but I am not quite sure as to where these days.

Maybe I might volunteer as a car cleaner at Gaydon and bring them up to a better standard than what I saw last month.

I understand its difficult to keep on top of but there is always room for improvement in all aspects.
Quote 0 0