cmf645
Anyone around on Saturday?

Rob.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
There on Friday.

Neil will proabably be taking the DBR2 replica and I'll be in the DB9.
Quote 0 0
cmf645
It was all very last minute only got details this morning - my other half got offered two tickets from one of her suppliers. Appears he was shocked we were into prewar cars. Never been before and so looking forward to it :-) Shame I'm working on the beast or I would have driven it there..... Must get the new batteries setup soon.

Too late for me to dress up :-( I heard coveralls hide midlife curves very well - but are frowned apon in the 'burbs as normall dress :-)

Any tips on what to see etc? We have to meet the suppliers and be nice - but I'm hoping to get away to play...

Rob.
Quote 0 0
migtig
Yes but going on Sunday......Dave
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I'm there Sunday too. Rob, just enjoy. It's a great event - if you haven't got paddock passes a set of overalls is far less conspicuous 
Quote 0 0
cmf645
Yes I was told that overalls helps :-) I was going to join the GWRC a while back too... Oh well - maybe a quick read of the Great Escape on the way will give some ideas on how to get in ;-)

What is the market like - any good buys for prewar stuff?

Rob.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I'd save your shopping for Beaulieu but there are plenty of stalls for books and WHY. I usually wait until the last minute shamelessly relying on freebie tickets hence have never invested in the GWRRC. Not sure what the benefits are unless you go for both full weekends. The Revival is a blast, you'll love it.
Quote 0 0
migtig
I am a member of GRRC. It's worth the membership. Which is not a large cost anyway. If anyone interested get your name down. It can take 2YRS. + to get in. Going on Sunday. Hope the weather holds....Dave
Quote 0 0
TVJL
I will be there tomorrow with a squeeze. LS&S and I have already been in contact on this, but is anyone else up for a forum rendezvous at some juncture?
Quote 0 0
cmf645
Well I'm back and it was a blast :-)

Turns out the company entertaining us had an entry in the race and was doing very well. Drop by Andy Bells car and said hello - he said he was doing well too and was running 2nd.

To far to many photos....

Rob.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Yes it was great fun though I didn't manage to hook up with any forumeers in the throng. Some great racing and the sun fnally shone once the TT race started. I don't know how Andy Bell did but his special was wearing laurels on Sunday, so not too bad I think! Coming back, we stopped at a pub with a DB5 and a Le Mans, and ex works TR4 and a Cobra in the car park (such countrie pubs as dreams are made of). We left the same time as the Five, and a 7 Volante slipped in behind. I was pleased to note as we passed through a village, all the locals sitting outside cheered spontaneously  ;D
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Sorry, Tim: somehow managed to miss your call. :-\

Usual fantastic petrolhead day out. (Isn't it a glorious tribute to Lord March that the goodies on show can now (almost) be taken for granted. It is easy to forget that the meeting is only 8 years old!). Even the weather became beautiful in the end - that is, to accompany some stunning machinery and (a few) equally gorgeous girls in period dress scattered about the place. There was even a certain fabulous Lagonda rarity in the pits.

All in all, a great event, as ever. So, it's odd to think of a gripe - but, here's one. The so-called featured marque was Bristol. However, there were only 3 cars on static display, and absolutely nothing else on hand to foster interest. Where were the owners of the cars? Where was the Bristol Owners Club stand?

In the past, I have discussed with some of the powers that be in the Club the prospect of having an Aston display at the Revival meeting. The answer has always been that it would be too expensive / a cost-benefit analysis would not justify the expense. However, having seen what was done on this occasion,(a) I can't believe that anyone was charged anything / much for putting the 'display' together, and (b) if it were done well I think that an AM/L display could very helpful to, say, the profile of the Trust.

Anyone agree?
Quote 0 0
Webby
I'm a member of the BOC and just received notification of the Bristol Display at Goodwood this weekend in the monthly news sheet. This probably explains why there was such a poor turn out. A shame as Goodwood would be an ideal location to enlighten people about these wonderful machines.

I have heard the same argument about Goodwood for the club and there do appear to be costs that may not be immediately apparent, although that was more to do with racing events than a display. However, Tim's last point about the Trust is interesting as an event like Goodwood could be potentially more lucrative for the Trust than the club per se.

Thoughts anyone?
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I'm inclined to agree - the Goodwood brand does attract attendance from people who probably do not go to any other motoring event during the year. You might argue this means corporate entertainment takes up some tickets that would be better enjoyed by more dedicated enthusiasts but it does seem that very many more people are being brought into the fold of old car enthusiasm as a result. This can only be a good thing. Reaching these new converts and the people not addicted to the motoring press has to be one of the most effective ways to promote both the trust and the club. The revival doesn't seem however to be geared towards club displays, I think that is too 'Bromley Pageant' for the aspirations of the Goodwood marketing team. But I think the inclusiveness works - the pre-'66 car park was delicious, I'd hate to see it stratified.

Nevertheless, perhaps the trust might slip in under the radar to promote its charitable aims? I have a vision of a stop-me-and-buy-one tricycle handing out AMHT hats...

I hadn't appreciated there was a featured marque! That said, I was knocked out by the Bristol Zagato. Never seen one before.
Quote 0 0
philmw
It was a great day.

Can I ask now what moves are being made to ensure Aston Martin are the featured cars in 2009; both here and at Le Mans.  With 3 years' notice these could be fantastic "Aston Martin 2006 Ltd", "Aston Martin Racing", and "AMOC" events.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote 0 0
Webby
Planning is/was already underway for 2009. Recent news has seen even closer discussions taking place. All I can say is, watch this space!
Quote 0 0
chrisr
My first visit....fantastic day! The pre '66 car park was a joy to behold. Some great AM's!
The atmosphere was so friendly.
Even the bad weather on Saturday failed to spoil it.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
It's a terrific event. I strongly recommend buying the DVD - it usually comes out for the Christmas rush. Last year's in-car extras were brilliant.

When are the Brooklands Society, Mercedes and Lord March going to get together to create the Brooklands Revival, that's what I want to know - it would be a great season opener.
Quote 0 0
cmf645
Well I took in total 399 pictures :-) More than 50% of those were pictures of Astons and prewar cars.... The Bristols were great - IIRC a few were in the display paddock too.

I even mangaed to get some bits for my two battery conversion :-)

The trust displaying there would be great - has anyone talked to the Aero club to see if a display could happen there - I caught an Aston there with the Spits now that would make a good display?

Rob.
Quote 0 0
pthwaite
Just got back, wonderful event. Took the DBS V8 and it went well, though there does seem to be a shortage of Shell garages down there so a bit of pinking on the way back.

The cars, the planes the people, all wonderful, as others have said, lots of photos, hope to do it again sometime, even my other half really enjoyed it.

Howard
Quote 0 0