DB7GTA
I will be shortly heading to Jersey for the first time by plane and was wondering if the local members or members that have visited can give me any advice regarding places to visit, especially historical sites, places to eat in, be entertained, see classic cars, especially Aston Martins and Porsche's?
It is an ambition since I was a boy, after watching all the Bergerac episodes to holiday in Jersey now I am about to achieve this, fantastic!
Quote 0 0
Webby
Why not contact Catherine Pipon? She is the Jersey Representative.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Le Riche have a restoration business at :
Unit 10, Springside Rue de la Monnaie, Trinity, Jersey CI JE3 5DG

I had some dealings years ago with the owner but have completely forgotten his first name.
He trained at Colchester
It's a busy place, wide variety of cars, lots of enthusiasm.

Appropriate location, given it's old cars : rue de la Monnaie.
Quote 0 0
asington
.... and whist you're there - take an Aurigny 'plane to Guernsey and see what life was / is like in the 1950's. Jersey is a bit brash compared to Guernsey, and the iced cream is just divine! I used to have a business registered there (long story!) and visited every few weeks. You didn't have to lock your car or your front door, and there were so many private houses selling vegetables at a table by the road - no-one in attendance, just a box to put your money in. Wonderful! On one occasion I even stayed at Ronnie Ronalde's hotel - if you don't know who he is then you're a young 'un! I whistled a merry tune all day (and that's a clue!). The sea-food is probably the best in the British Isles, so get your fill whilst you can. Have fun in The Channel Isles - you'll want to go back, I promise you.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
asington wrote:
You didn't have to lock your car or your front door

That would have spoiled the whole of Bergerac, wouldn't it !
Quote 0 0
asington
That's why Bergerac was based in Jersey!
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Jersey Zoo is brilliant --well worth a visit.
There are a lot of German Occupation places to visit--some of which are quite harrowing.
There is an ancient burial mound near the zoo.
For the wife--plenty of jewelry outlets and also a Pearl Factory.
Nice place, but get a small hire car if you are going exploring--the lanes are VERY narrow!
Quote 0 0
asington
By the way - just had coffee today in Bergerac! Delightful town.
Quote 0 0
dwell
We were also in Bergerac for a couple of days last week - giving the Aston a look at the Dordogne, very pleasant place (stayed at Hotel La Flambee for the parking and very impressed with the food!)
Quote 0 0
asington
The speeding issue is rather interesting here in France. If you are caught with the mobile radar guns and pulled in at a pay booth, you will be well clobbered. If however you are zapped by a roadside camera, apparently the DVLA are not obligated to advise the French rozzers of the name and address of the driver, so I'm hoping that I won't be met at home by a pile of speeding tickets. I know I have been through a number of cameras on the back roads at considerably more than the speed limit. Driving my DB7 Volante at anything less than 130kph is just unreasonable but incredibly pleasurable.
Quote 0 0