SJH
Members from Area 9 had a nice couple of days at the weekend in the Lake District along with other Northern regions...

Windermere Racing Boat Club makes for a fabulous location to meet and the Saturday evening dinner and Sunday lunch was most agreeable as was the selection of cars and the company of other AMOC members... Tony Armstrong our Area rep excelling in his post-dinner "stand-up" routine  ;D

Shame about the weather... I'm afraid unlike last year (wonderful sunshine), we experienced typical Lakeland weather... it poured down on the Sunday and the forty expected cars dwindled to a dozen or so with only a handful  taking up the Lakeland drive

Here are a few photo's when the rain 'almost' stopped...

http://www.mamstore.co.uk/CARS/Lakes07
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
SJH

Lovely shots despite the weather.  The Lakes are indeed beautiful.

I am planning to go to L'Enclume in February (Yes, with the Wedge). Does anyone have any knowledge of the place, comments?
Roger I
Quote 0 0
SJH
Wedgie,

Heard great things about the place, but never been myself.

There are some excellent restaurants and places to stay in the Lakes nowadays... supply and demand I guess with the new generation of second-home owners... Linthwaite House is excellent... the Sampling quite unique... and as you you say the place is 'beautiful'... and that is possibly an understatement.

Enjoy your trip 

Quote 0 0
Wedgie
I do have a slight connection. My mother, who now lives in Oz, is from Cumberland. I am looking forward to revisiting immensely. Perhaps Hardnott? Pass in the Wedge as practice for the Susten/Furka etc is in order?

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
Russell
great pictures and an amazing place to go shame about the weather but thats the thing about the lakes they are either below your feet or landing on your head.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Statistically aren't The Lakes the wettest place in Britain?
Quote 0 0
waynejaffe
Lord Brett Sinclair wrote:

Statistically aren't The Lakes the wettest place in Britain?

Lakes are very wet, especially in Britain!
Quote 0 0
KPW
Wedgie, going to Cartmel? I go there often it's a realy nice village. The pubs are all good. A visit to the Post Office is compulsory, it's now a shop and the sticky toffee pudding is world famous. I recommend the Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank (the foods good) and the Brittannnia at Ellterwater for a pint of Bluebird. If you want good views of the Lakes and Cartmel try the short walk to the Hospice, the tower at the top of the fell near Cartmel.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
THanks KPW. I shall bear all of these in mind!
Roger I
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Sounds like a plan for a pub crawl!
Quote 0 0
KPW
A pub crawl around the Lakes, I've being practicing for years!
Three last tips before I start to sound like the Lakes Tourist Info. :-
Try Holker Hall including motor museum
Steam train to lakeside and ferry to Ambleside
Drunken Duck for food and rooms.

Holker Hall would be perfect for a concours. Best roads in the world for an Aston, good beer, good food, just a shame AMOC events don't come north!
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Agree with this last point wholeheartedly. If we get a summer next year perhaps we ought to organise a weekend of "sightseeing".
Quote 0 0
KPW
Might be too late for me as my car is for sale! 
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I haven't got one at all yet so wouldn't worry about that!
Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
KPW wrote:

just a shame AMOC events don't come north!

The NATO tour of 2004 visited every county in the North of England. Roger Martin regularly organises tours of Scotland. Isn't Chatsworth, where we have just held the concours, in the North of England?
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Last time I looked Chatsworth was in Derbyshire which could be considered Midlands at best and certainly not in the North unless your travelling from Cornwall.
Quote 0 0
KPW
It wasn't my intention to start a North/ South divide debate. Just to point out it would be nice to have more events in the Lakes. As I think the the photo's at the start of this show. IMHO Holker Hall would provide a good venue. I stumbled into a meeting of the Bentley boys there, and in combination with the roads and views in the area it seemed a good suggestion.

It's funny I thought saying the 'best roads in the world for an Aston' would be the controversial point. Again only my opinion but give me the keys for my favorite Aston for just one hour and I'd choose the Lakes. Early morning in Autumn to be exact.
Quote 0 0
SJH
KPW,

We ended up with the Bentley boys during last years 'Lakes Weekend' at Holker Hall... great location, but that said there are simply loads of perfect venues all over t'North... we must have a dozen in Cheshire alone.

Quote 0 0
TVJL
Super pics Steve; thanks a lot for posting them. Any more?

PS We have still yet to meet in person. I'm determined to put that right in '08, if not before.
Quote 0 0
SJH
Hi Tim,

Afraid not... it's a weather thing 

I do however have some cracking shots from last years 'Lakes' weekend. I never posted them, so I'll get those up for everybodies perusal...

Quite fancy one of your fancy drinking sessions in London village... you never know I meet get down South to OO region...

Otherwise 'yes' we should meet... all this virtual stuff is weird... lot's of stories in the grey matter to recollect 

Steve
Quote 0 0
KPW
SJH, did you mean the Bentley meeting on the 14 & 15 Oct 2006? As this was when I was there. Small world!
Quote 0 0
SJH
No it was September last year... on our AM drive... we just happened to meet up at Holker Hall. Think I have some piccies to share...
Quote 0 0
KPW
Please do, but I was on a mountain bike and I will not be sharing the photo's of me in lycra!
Quote 0 0
haroonok
good to see all the area 9 stalwarts there,sorry i missed it.
wedgie- L'enclume is a marvellous experience,just set aside plenty of time if you go for the tasting menu!
Quote 0 0
SJH
Here are some photo's from the same event last year... cars in the Holker Hall car-park... some nice shots from the shores of Windermere in the beautiful sunshine and a nice shot of the 'arts and crafts' period built Boat Club HQ up on the hillside... a truly idyllic location in the right weather 

http://www.mamstore.co.uk/Lakes
Quote 0 0