Nick Duckworth
OK OK it might seem a bit early and I can understand that my next statement may bring on feelings of deja vu with some club members but..........

Something's brewing at AM Racing.....is gearing up for a full on assault at Le Mans next year....50th anniversary of AM outright Le Mans win.....LMP1 V12 car.....(Car magazine May

Given that this years forthcoming attempt to get AMOC all in one place hasn't gone as planned and also given earlier comments on the forum about closer cooperation between the club and its members, might I suggest that AMOC consider a full on assault at Le Mans 2009 too?  Plots affordable to a wider range of members and with assistance from AM to boot.  We represent their history after all!  With the knowledge gained so far and more with our attendance at Le Mans soon, there should be enough information, experience and members wanting to attend to make this a potential winner.

Could the CoM give this idea their consideration as official AMOC event?

I'm abroad for much of the year but would be willing to help out where I can and I'm sure other members would too.  I wouldn't want to sound as if I'm suggesting the idea so long as someone else does all the work.

Comments welcomed as always.

Nick
Quote 0 0
Jeroen
Wow!

I would be happy to help too.
Quote 0 0
philmw
Indeed.  I would hope there is some effort to get as many Astons there (with obviously a personal interest in one particular relevant type).

As of September 2006 "Planning is/was already underway for 2009. Recent news has seen even closer discussions taking place. All I can say is, watch this space!" to make sure Aston is featured at the Goodwood Revival, so I hope Le Mans is being planned too.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I should be able to make next year also.
Quote 0 0
Webby
philmw wrote:

Indeed.  I would hope there is some effort to get as many Astons there (with obviously a personal interest in one particular relevant type).

As of September 2006 "Planning is/was already underway for 2009. Recent news has seen even closer discussions taking place. All I can say is, watch this space!" to make sure Aston is featured at the Goodwood Revival, so I hope Le Mans is being planned too.

I was actually referring to Le Mans there, sorry for any confusion with Goodwood. A lot hangs on the outcome of the election now...
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Count me in. It will be my 20th Le Mans and also, rather fittingly, the 20th anniversary of the last Aston prototype assault. I hope the V12 can live upto the glorious tune of AMR1's V8.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
If Aston are making a serious effort then I will be there---it would be 40 years since I last attended--(GT40 won by about 5seconds from a Porsche)!
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
That would be Mr Oliver then, who just happened to be my boss when I worked at ARROWS.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Not forgetting Mr Ickx who did a pretty good job too.
It was a memorable race with the Porsche 917s giving a hint of what they were capable of. Sadly marred by the death of John Wolf in a privateer 917 (amazingly the only fatality in the history of that car).
Have you seen Nick Watts painting of Le Mans 69---it's brilliant.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Does the best placed British driver in the TT still receive the John Wolfe trophy?
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Tim M wrote:

Not forgetting Mr Ickx who did a pretty good job too.
It was a memorable race with the Porsche 917s giving a hint of what they were capable of. Sadly marred by the death of John Wolf in a privateer 917 (amazingly the only fatality in the history of that car).
Have you seen Nick Watts painting of Le Mans 69---it's brilliant.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32029&highlight

leads you to more about John Woolf
Quote 0 0
Nick Duckworth
John.

Who do I speak to to discuss Le Mans 2009 being an official AMOC event please?

Nick
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Nick Antrim Blue V12 wrote:

John.

Who do I speak to to discuss Le Mans 2009 being an official AMOC event please?

Nick

It would be a 'Social' event.
Normally, you would contact the Chairman of the Social Cttee. However, Roy Smith has retired from that post and the new Chairman of the Social Sub Committee will be a volunteer / selected from the new Cttee of Management who are currently being elected i.e. votes counted this week and announced next Saturday at the AGM.
If you would like to help in the organisation of anything to do with the event, register the fact with Johnny Dallow, the Club Secretary and he will pass it on.
The Le Mans anniversary in 2009 (and the Club's 75th Jubillee in have both been flagged up as years to mark with appropriate celebrations but the Club always needs members who would be willing to help arrange the detail of the events.
If you'd like to phone to discuss in the meantime, just PM me.
Many thanks for your interest. 
Quote 0 0
pbrett
I would certainly be interested in helping organise something for Le Mans next year. 

Don't think I will be getting there this year >.  Hopefully will get to the classic in July though.
Quote 0 0
David W.
Any news of this. I haven't been with AMOC or Aston befor but would like to join in next year.
Who does one contact, is there a list of interested people yet?

David W.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
David W. wrote:

Any news of this. I haven't been with AMOC or Aston befor but would like to join in next year.
Who does one contact, is there a list of interested people yet?

David W.

The planning has started : a short email to the Club office registering your interest is all that is needed. Do keep an eye on the AMNews as many announcements are in, rather than the Forum.
What would Forum members like to do ?
Remember, it's your Club, so the Club should do (within limits...!) what you want.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Ask Will P to organise something as he seems to be more efficient and cheaper than others are/can be.
Quote 0 0
PRanucci
Has ACO set a date yet for 2009?
Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
14 June
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Hopefully the Club will liaise with Jean Philippe Gourraud so that something is done together with the French Members.
Quote 0 0
Nick Duckworth
Feedback wanted.

There were 2 sites used this year by club members:  The Team Langoustine site arranged by Williamp and the official AMOC site up on Blue Nord.

The Team Langoustine site was very conveniently placed just inside Tetre Rouge corner, was very easy to get in and out of and onto the Le Mans bypass, had good facilities, and was easy striking distance to the Nicholas Mee Tetre Rouge champagne party.  It was secure and there was an additional site nearby which looked to be in a similar position.  Toilets/showers/beer tent were also supplied and were well serviced.

I can't comment on the Blue Nord site although it did seem like an oasis in the vastness of the Blue Nord camp on the outside of the track.  Also provided with a marquee and big screen but the toilets/showers appeared to be shared with the rest of Blue Nord camp site.  Further comment appreciated please.  A long walk to the track?

It would be interesting to establish what other people thought of these 2 sites and indeed any others, as we might have to attempt to book something soon in preparation for next year.  It would be nice to get us all together for 2009 and at a cost that suits all.  That was the idea for 2008 but it didn't turn out that way.

If folks could provide some feedback it would be appreciated.  For those of us that stayed there, Williamps Team Langoustine site did us well this year but we couldn't fit whole of AMOC on it.

Please share your views, thoughts & wishes for 2009.

Nick
Quote 0 0
Nick Duckworth
Question answered 

I stand corrected.  Audrey has been contacted by a number of club members who say that the site was within easy distance of the track and that the facilities provided to the club were excellent in every way.

Here's to Le Mans 2009.
Quote 0 0
V12 Vanquish
I will definitely be there together with my V8 Vantage LeMans (Anniversary of the model as well).

Phil, are you planning to drive yours as well?

Also I think it would be nice to get some DB9LM owners as well. I think there are at least two of them on the forum!
Quote 0 0
Nick Duckworth
That would be nice to see as I've yet to meet one 'in the metal'.

Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Nick Antrim Blue V12 wrote:

That would be nice to see as I've yet to meet one 'in the metal'.

Awesome is one word to describe them!
Quote 0 0