Nick Duckworth Show full post »
Tim M
I'm hoping to go but I don't think I'll be taking the Aston---it's mega-bucks from up here. If anybody fancies having a passenger (I'll fly down south and take it from there) do let me know.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Up here where Tim?
Quote 0 0
wondercat
View profile.................North East Scotland

DB7 the model that saved the marque.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
thank you
Quote 0 0
Jeroen
Can I be so bold as to ask when we are informed by those above us when we can expect more information about AMOC's appropriate celebrations of the Le Mans anniversary in 2009?

It would be my sixth visit and from my experience it is necessary to book hotels and/or camping spots well ahead. In fact, most regular visitors apparently (register their interest to) book their camping tickets one year in advance.

Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
See page 5 October AM News
Quote 0 0
David W.
SWSBO and myself are on the list to go, looking forward to it but may have to get something modern from the Aston stable in time for the drive down! Bargins expected mid - late November or perhaps in the January sales.
Quote 0 0
keithvantage
The event described in the Oct News sheet ,looks great but is certainly a premium priced event, am i alone in wondering what options are available to us mere mortals for this historic year ? I have never been before but will make the effort this year and am planning to take the Aston and camp, so any help and advice for a novice would be very much welcomed.

Keith

Quote 0 0
Jeroen
Roy Smith wrote:

See page 5 October AM News

Many thanks for your kind and elaborate reply. However, as usual I haven't received my AM News yet (August issue arrived in September, together with September's). But I know enough already. Will make my own arrangements. Many thanks again.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
The last time I went to Le Mans it cost £39 from Victoria Station--the accomodation was the coach that met us at Calais--that was 1969!
I'm sure the AMOC tour will be wonderful but at over £2000 it is WAY out of my league.
I have a few 'irons in the fire' and expect to have a 'first class' trip for very little expense--fingers crossed.
Quote 0 0
milog
Tim M wrote:

I'm sure the AMOC tour will be wonderful but at over £2000 it is WAY out of my league.

I'll start my own preparations, 2K jeeeeeeee, I feel another financial Amoc scandal coming up.
Quote 0 0
Tim M
That's the problem---some of the guys here get that per hour--I get that per month.l
No problem---with a bit of luck I will be well looked after---it's not what you know it's who you know!
Quote 0 0
Jeroen
It's not the money which is the problem for me, it's the fact that by organising a 2k trip to Le Mans, AMOC is displaying a total lack of understanding of what Le Mans is all about. To most (other, apperently) people Le Mans is all about going on the cheap in an exotic sportscar and having fun. Pure and simple. Exotics parked next to tents and budget hotels. No place to bring posh wives and red trousers. They will get dusty like everyone else.

Quote 0 0
pbrett
I hope the AMOC will organise a more reasonable event centred around camping as per last year.

But the laps of the circuit do look very interesting as an option.

Missed it this year but really want to get there for '09
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Just breaking cover since Berkshrek seems to have disappeared.

£2,500 AMOC, you are having a larf!  I've done the circuit drive twice and it cost £400 including hospitality.  This is not serving the membership, this is catering for a few.

What any half decent car club would do at the 50th aniversary of its only outright win at the great Le Mans circuit would be to spend money on an owners club hospitality area for ANY owner making the effort to attend.  Just show your card and gain entry to meet others, grab a bite, have a few drinks etc.

So, is that it then?  The special celebration we were promised?

Do me a favour!
Quote 0 0
williamp
Having crossed swords with the AMOC staff over Le mans last year, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

I'm not going to say what I want to say about the choice of events for the celebration in 2009, as the club secretary posts here under an assumed name, and my experiece with HQstaff  left a very bitter taste in my mouth. But what I will say is we had a great time in 2008 despite this, so we are doing the same thing again in 2009

The same group of us, all Aston fans, alltogether, for £90 per vehicle. Cold beer extra, but were booked already. I didnt advertise it as its not an AMOC event, just a group of friends who are AMOC members camping together. I find it's easier and cheaper to leave the club out of events like this!
Quote 0 0
Russell
i think you did a great job will. i also think geewizz has a great idea.
so why cant for the 50th year have an amoc hostility tent where all members could go and meet and get together irrespective of if they camped in different places or stayed in castles or B&B's.

would be good for all to get together. a good concept that might unite all
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Good point Russ, probably not a starter though for the club focuses on the Pims and Tweeds brigade, not the rest of us who really enjoy driving our cars.

Still, they might just surprise us and do something for the real members.........Dream on!
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Williamp wrote:

Having crossed swords with the AMOC staff over Le mans last year, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

I'm not going to say what I want to say about the choice of events for the celebration in 2009, as the club secretary posts here under an assumed name, and my experiece with HQstaff  left a very bitter taste in my mouth. But what I will say is we had a great time in 2008 despite this, so we are doing the same thing again in 2009

The same group of us, all Aston fans, alltogether, for £90 per vehicle. Cold beer extra, but were booked already. I didnt advertise it as its not an AMOC event, just a group of friends who are AMOC members camping together. I find it's easier and cheaper to leave the club out of events like this!

Will, can I join in for 2009 or is it too late? have Aston to take now!
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Oh, you cheap sods. 
You won't spend £2,500 for a small room where you won't be spending much time, and for the privilege of being generally ignored anyway?  Inconceivable.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Some people will pay a lot of money to be ripped off and ignored.
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Well actually the club isn't really doing anything, they are just endorsing a commercial concern to organise something with no doubt some form of AMOC fee for the endorsement.

It is a rather cynical and lazy option for the club and as stated does not cater for the masses just those with the deepest pockets.  £2500 that is about 1 months salary for someone earning approx 43K!! 

Also they are wanting £700 for just 3.5 laps of the circuit.  I won't be turning my back on these guys you never know what you'll get :-[

In this time of global melt down is this level of cost something to be entertained?
Quote 0 0
Jeroen
Can't wait to read all about it in my October News Sheet when I receive it in November.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
AMOC not serving the members.......hmmmmm, reminds me of a thread long ago  (well last year's Le Mans anyway).

The concept of excellent customer/member service should be not only to garner 'appreciation' but also to 'pleasantly surprise'. 

Hmmmmm.
Quote 0 0
john curtis
I must admit to being very disappointed to see just a platinum option and nothing for the ordinary Members. Hopefully this has been farmed out with no chance of any cost to the Club if it is not sufficiently subscribed.
Could we have an answer here from a Committee Member please.
Is there a financial risk to the Club? And is there anything else organised for the brown ale and flatcap brigade. I shall want to bring my pigeons. ;D
Quote 0 0