TrevorS
Having been on both the 40th and 50th anniversary celebration events of our win in 1959, I am keen to know if the club has any plans in mind for the 60th. Is anyone aware?
Quote 0 0
Doctor Houx
David Wright is the AMOC member who usually organises these get-togethers at the Hotel de France in La Chartre.  We both own properties in the village and I'm aware he has no plans for a meet this year, so unless something is being organised at the Circuit  by someone else, then I don't think anything is being arranged by AMOC.

AML are doing their usual (very expensive) hospitality package, so maybe they will recognise this anniversary as part of that, but I don't know.  
"Racing is life; everything that happens before or after is just waiting."
Steve McQueen
Quote 0 0
TrevorS
Thanks for your response but will be amazed if this significant anniversary is ignored particularly as Anne mentioned planning for the celebration in the December issue of AM News. I half expected proposals in the Jan issue.

We didn’t stay in or visit La Chartre on the last two anniversaries but always within 1 hour of the circuit, usually in a hotel or chateaux with rooms. It also included a visit to the Parade du Pilot, 3 laps of the circuit in the morning (very early!) pre booked parking and grandstand seats.
Quote 0 0
Doctor Houx
Oh, OK.

When you were referring to the previous anniversaries, I wrongly thought you meant the ones we held at the HdF in 2009, 2011 and 2013, where there were guests such as Stirling Moss, Derek Bell, Mike Salmon etc at a Friday lunch meet with speeches and a DBR1 and other famous LM AM cars in the courtyard where they used to prepare the race entries back in the day.

All great events, but similar not planned for this year as far as I'm aware.  I'll keep my eye out for anything in AM news as you say.  
Steve McQueen
Quote 0 0
Anne
I had hoped to have a joint event with AML at Le Mans, but this has not come to fruition.

You will see in the Social Calendar, which came out with your February AM News, the following for Tuesday 11th June:

Les R'Hunaudieres, France

An annual pre Le Mans party is held in the town of Ruaudin and the R'Hunaudières. Where they join forces to put on a free of charge gathering in Ruaudin, which is closed to traffic for the occasion. This year they are celebrating the 1959 anniversary of Aston Martin’s Le Man victory. Festivities are from 4-11pm.

On 15th January, I was told:

Our theme remains unchanged in its nature, but has slightly changed in its content, so as to take into account the celebration of several key anniversaries, culminating in Aston Martin’s 1959 victory.

Our theme will indeed be : 1949 / 1959 Birth of Legends. We will be evoking the birth of Shell (100 years) the first Ferrari victory (70 years) and the first Aston Martin victory (60 years) with the announced presence of an authentic Aston Martin DBR1.

If I may, I will get back to you within the next few days with more information to be relayed to your club members and also probably with further details concerning a second Aston Martin event which is due to take place this same week at Mulsanne.

Your post has reminded me to chase it!

Anne

Quote 0 0
BobC
I am aware that on Friday (14th) at some point after lunch, there will be the handover to their owners on track of all 24 of the Aston Martin Cambridge special project DBS '59's. The owners crossing the track (some running) as the flag falls in the traditional way, before then being allowed the privilege of driving them for 2 laps of the short circuit.
DBS '59 sig .jpg.png 
Quote 0 0
TrevorS
All these events seem to be make your own arrangements and attend individual events unless you go on the AMOC camping trip. Previous anniversaries were packages organised by a ‘partner’ under the AMOC banner. So ferry / tunnel, accommodation at differing levels, parking for the Parade du Pilot, 3 laps of the circuit early on the morning of the race, secure parking and grandstand seats for the start. If I remember correctly, the 40th was organised by Motor Racing Legends although I can’t remember who organised the 50th. No issues with any of the other events but options would be good for such a significant anniversary.
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
In previous years I have called in at St Saturnin on the way to Le Mans, and may well do so this year. However there seems to be a similar meet up at Mulsanne corner at which Aston and Bentley are featured. Does anyone know about this? In particular what is access and parking like, and is food/beer available?
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
Here' a link. Sorry its in French, but it just seems to.confirm what I said in the above post.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-1loire/mulsanne-72230/virage-de-mulsanne-devoile-son-programme-6274619
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Someone closely associated with the Hotel de France mentioned that "Aston Martin have a dinner there over the weekend".
Quote 0 0
Doctor Houx
Wasn't me, but Yes John. I own the property opposite the HdeF across the square and know many of the locals.

Happening Thursday evening, when the new owners of the 24 DBS 59 cars by Q meet with Andy Palmer etc for dinner at HdeF prior to handover and a parade lap of the circuit Sat morning. They are all staying at a local Chateau afterwards.

It is rumoured a 1959 DBR1 will be parked down the alley next to the hotel where the factory used to fettle the cars prior to the race. Worth coming down if you are around on the Thurs eve.
Steve McQueen
Quote 0 0
Purest Green
Some months ago, we offered to arrange a DBR1 reunion to commemorate the 60th anniversary of:
  • The Salvadori/Shelby and Trintigant/Frére DBR1s famous one-two finish at the 24 Hours of Le Mans 
  • The dramatic Moss/Shelby/Fairman victory in a DBR1 sportscar at Goodwood, thereby securing the World Sports Car Championship, the first British manufacturer ever to win the FIA World Sportscar Championship
We had tracked down the 5 DBR1s are were all ready to "crack on".

AML informed us that they had everything in hand and there was nothing for us to do.

We stepped back and focused, and continue to focus, on the Zagato 100th Anniversary display which, trust me, will be fantastic. (Please watch this space.)

I really hope that AML will arrange a fitting 60th anniversary tribute to these legendary racing drivers and their Aston Martin DBR1 racing cars and not just leverage the anniversary for a commercial purpose.

I appreciate fully that AML is a PLC which has to deliver on the numbers by selling lots of new motor cars. I get it.

However, I also believe that from, time-to-time, we all need to transcend "revenue and EBIT" and concentrate on commemorating and/or celebrating the people and the cars... plain and simple.. with no ulterior motive.
Jamie A.
Member of AMOC Social and Concours Sub-Committees
Principal Judge, Concours, NP 12 Cylinder
AMOC Area 00
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
Thanks all. Unfortunately I don't arrive at Le Mans until Friday. The event I was thinking of seems a much more informal thing at Mulsanne. Last year Corvettes were featured and there seemed to be a large presence.

I wondered whether any French members were planning to put up an equivalent show of Astons this year, or whether they were just going to rely on British punters turning up on the day.

It looks as though the link I put up in my last post didn't work. Perhaps this one is better: https://www.viragedemulsanne.org/collectionneurs?lang=en
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
RL17
Only just seen this as pretty hectic before trip and went to Mulsanne for first time.

Mulsanne Show pretty good for an hour or two visit. Went this year after CBW/St Saturnin. There was a small trade stand area with food and drink and a few cars. Quite a few French Astons when I arrived after 1pm plus quite a few Bentleys and later on a few other special cars parked up on the run in kink to the Mulsanne corner turn. Other cars all parked up along left hand side for about a kilometre of the run towards Indianapolis

CBW/St Saturnin was/is a much bigger event and the theme cars inside plus a few special ones outside are pretty good. Food there good to. Most of cars at Mulsanne event were at CBW earlier.
Quote 0 0