lml698
Dear All
Alan wheatley has raised this issue with a number of people in the club and I think the forum forms part of the discussion. To quote Alan
"... the DBR1 winning at Le Mans is the most significant event in Aston history. Surely , in 2009, we must celebrate the fiftieth anniversary with the biggest and most spectacular event(s) the club has ever put on. ... the celebration can have a racing element and a social element and should appeal to all members no matter where their prime Aston interest lies, from the cars of the twenties to the modern day. .....
  .....All this will take time. Now is not too soon to start........  .Go for it!!!
Any one care to get involved ?
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
A good idea to discuss with AML too ; they'll be doing something as well .

Roy Smith already has a list of ideas that can be integrated into the Club Calendar for the coming years , and I believe that I've heard this one too .

I'd love to be involved in this . I've always advocated that separate groups of Members supporting individual events from the beginning will assist the huge task of the Social SubC , which has the "ownership" of these events within the Club ,  and contribute greatly to the success of the events .

I'm doing just that for Cottesmore in 2007 .
Quote 0 0
lml698
Thanks for the response Olympus.  I know Alan suggested a "Working Group" be set up to take this forward , which he offered to be on. It would need someone on the COM to be o it, someone from social and someone from comps plus the AMHT.  I am prepared to act on behalf of Comps. Could you act for the COM? I guess we need to know if all of this has COM approval first.
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
I believe that Roy has mentioned this in his "future list" and I cannot imagine that there is an Aston Martin enthusiast that will be against it !!! I'll be more than happy to help in any way possible from day 1 .

This event will no doubt have many aspects that will require cooperation with AML ; I assume that the Club will be organising extra activities to what AML will be doing , focused around the Club as compared to the global brand of AML .

I'll propose it during the next CoM  , so that we get the process going . The Social SubC has the ownership of this Club-wise but it is up to those of us that will commit to it to make it a success .

Let's go for it !
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Can we arrange for AM to win Le Mans again?
Quote 0 0
lml698
Well given the current rate of progress there is a better chance than for the past 49 yrs !!!
Quote 0 0
DavidBrownsGhost
AstonZagato wrote:

Can we arrange for AM to win Le Mans again?

Hear hear!  ...it would seem (as stated elsewhere), that we're already well on the way!
Quote 0 0
pbrett
An event at the race itself?

A special AMOC Enclosure at the circuit?

Quote 0 0
philmw
Quote:
A special AMOC Enclosure at the circuit?

Even just a decent toilet block will be a great attraction.
Quote 0 0
lml698
Well I think we need a tour that caters for all budgets,  a Race at Le Mans, Track Parades, probably a celebratory race in the UK and the US  with a concours event in parallel, and a big dinner with as many of the faces of '59 as we can get.
Any more?
Quote 0 0
philmw
A gathering of the Le Mans car, both the racing ones and the Vantage LMs (I wouldn't mind helping with this).  You never know, AML may be making a DB9 LM (although limited to 500 not .
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Agree with lml698, events for all price AND time brackets.  For instance LM track parade without the 'tour' type options, single day events etc.

Remembering what my late father used to say, "it's more time you need, not more money!"
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
As a dress rehersal could we practice some of theese things this year, especialy the track parade without having to indulge in all of the chinwagging.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
This year might be problamatic Andrew!
Quote 0 0
John Purser
A small but not to be overlooked point is that '59 was also a year when the Works won the WSC. There are more events such as the Moss epic at the 'Ring and the ceremonial pyre at the Goodwood pits which could also be added - not that Charles March would be terribly amused if we made it THAT authentic.....

We should remind ourselves that the Club celebrates 75 years in 2010 and it might be nice to balance events out between the two years a bit so that not everyone is completely skint on 31/12/2009 
Quote 0 0
lml698
You're right John and I'm sure we will have some events to mark 75 yrs of supporting the marque. However surely it is more important to celebrate something Aston cars actually did and did so magnificently rather than something that the enthusiasts and supporters did ( which is to exist for 75 yrs ). I don't want to belittle it but I know which i think s more important and significant to Aston martins and the motoring world.  Everyone loves an  Aston Martin  ... not everyone loves the club or its members ( even if I am a happy and loving member) !!
Quote 0 0