williamp
Just wondering. I had quite a few problems...er... challenges on my trip.

First, I chekced the levels when I arrived on Thursday and found the fuel metering unit to be more full then normal, and smelling of petrol. So, I then spent the afternoon changing the oil. Thanks to the VSCC foe the use of an Austin 7 fuel pump to help remove the old oil.

Friday I helped fix a DB7, and noticed a problem with the alternator on the way back.

Secondly, I noticed a problem with the alternator: It had come loose because a bracket holding the alternator to the block had come loose- one stud had snapped, the other was just hanging on. This fix  lasted until Rouen. We were queueing for fuel when I noticed the steering was heavy. And we were loosing coolant. The alternator belt had stripped, came off and teken the two other belts with it.  After finding another alternator belt (the water pump- steering belts were fine) I found out that actually a bracket had failed, and we needed to be towed. Thoughts of being towed back to Leicester did not appeal.

The tow truck arrived, and decided he could weld the brakcet back together again. I made it back home, 5 hours later then planned. Thankfully thre ACO paid for everything, making the annual membership very worthwhile.

Thirdly, my girlfriend finished with me days before I left for Le Mans

Owning an Aston is, as they say an adventrure

On the plus side, at the Eurotunnel a female customs officer said "j'adore...". I could quip about "moi? pur le voiture?" but it was  customs and I darent...
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Will, sorry to hear of your problems.  We had to wait 6 hours at the tunnel due to overcrowding.  Couldn't even buy our way out of France.

Still, great trip though and good to see the Forum boys again.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Will what a tale of woe, and after you saved us from the evils of Beausejoure. We had agreat trip back, the gendames stayed away, so we did not have to pay for the speed we drove along the way.
I take it you will be renewing your membership of the ACO, glad they were able to weld up the bracket.
I have to say you were in remarkably good spirits for some one who had just been dumped. I have no doubt some one else will snap you up quickly there cant be too many young men sweeping young ladies off their feet in Aston Martins. After all Clarkson says they are oober cool by his kristen Scott Thomas test.

Thanks again for organising a great time and introducing us to the chaps I had not met.
God bless
Andrew
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
Will, at least you avoided the tow truck.  As some already know, the Bendix drive on my starter disintegrated at Arnage on the way down.  We tried a bump start, but the wheels locked, even in third gear.  Thoughts of a seized engine crossed my mind (and are even now not wholly dispelled), but turning the engine backwards did seem possible, although accompanied by a tinkling sound from the bellhousing.  I guess a bit of the Bendix jammed the ring gear.

The car now sits forlornly in a yard just off the circuit along with many other sick and bruised machines, waiting for transport back to the UK.  I am told it will be about a fortnight, owing to the number of vehicles to be repatriated after the weekend.  In my case, the AA is paying.

Fortunately I was able to get a lift with one of my companions in his new Audi RS4, which he collected on the way to the ferry on Thursday.  He bought it solely because (a) he fell in love with the sound of the RS4 Safety Cars last year and (b) he was pissed off that people paid more attention to my DBS than his Audi TT (and no, I can't understand either why he could possibly have thought it would be otherwise).

My wallet is trembling, but otherwise it was the usual great weekend, despite the other Aston breakdowns on the track.  My heart bleeds for the BMS Scuderia Italia bunch - what a bummer to crash out in 20 minutes on another Aston's oil!

I haven't forgotten that I owe you a glass of bubbly.

All the best,

John
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Well I only had a puncture to worry about - only 50m from the camping pitch. Unload the whole boot and swap. At least as I carry a proper spare I had no speed/distance worries.

Will, you should keep driving the Aston as my little tale relates:

Last night at the A2/M25 Dartford roundabout. Car is covered in French flies and Houx dust. A really yummy-mummy complete with 2 sprogs pulls up next to me, calls over and starts talking about how great my car is and how she loves the exhaust note. She is driving an AMG CL Merc-thing. So I oblige by roaring off. She sticks with me to the next lights. She loves real cars and can drive !

Then I turn off for home.

You, however would have made further conversation 

Great to meet you, Andrew, and your beautiful, if dusty, Vantage.

Thanks to Keith for organising the evening meet. Sorry I did'nt make the lunchtime one. I foolishly got to bed at 8.00 on Sunday morning. Then I got a Father's Day call from my daughter at 9.00....

Martyn
Quote 0 0
PBY113K
Sorry Keith I am not responsible for this one it's the wife.

Keith, it was a treat to see your car and I am most impressed with your ability to gain entry into places many people couldn't.  However, next year don't forget your socks and belt!!!!!!!!.....  Oh almost forgot.  Nice pants/boxers 

Thanks for introducing us to some of the others.  Hello to you all.  Hopefully next year the DBS will make it past Chelmsford.  Jason says thanks for the tip in contacting Webby for the spares list.  Although the clutch wasn't on there managed to save £480 in tracking one down from the manufacturer.  Regards Chris and Jason.

Oh nearly forgot.  Do we hold the record, we had the pleasure of looking at the tunnel building for 8 hours.
Quote 0 0
williamp
well, at least the cars are in one piece, and they are "only" mechanical problems, rather then accidents... 

We had a 5 hour delay at the garage, so we were almst straight onto a crossing. I know a lot of other cars which passed us wre delayed in the chunnel- I suspect by the Rouen traffic which bunched everyone together.

And as for the girlfriend...well, where can I find a woman who appreciates old Astons for what they are?
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Will, sorry to hear about your domestic problems but glad the car was sorted enough for you to get home. Did anyone suffer enough damage to think they won't make the DBS V8 get together in July? Martin
Quote 0 0
PBY113K
Hi Martin,

Hopefully so, it just depends how long it takes me to do the clutch..
Quote 0 0
Alanq
Hi Will,
I’m sorry to hear of your woes. I was a bit wary this year, last year I had seized water pump, snapped aircon belt (which then threw the air pump belt off) start motor relay failure and passenger window wound down then not up, all in all it was a bit of an epic journey.
This year she behaved herself beautifully, we had a clean run there and back, and thanks to Mr Chapmans course she’s running better than ever. In fact, my MPG is up from 13.14 last year to a mighty 13.7 this year (saving me a massive £13.33! )
I’m intrigued re the ACO – I didn’t know they did breakdown cover?
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
I had real problems, my Average Fuel Consumption readout said I was getting 18.6 mpg throught the roadworks on the English side.  I had to put my foot down to cure it!
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
williamp wrote:

well, at least the cars are in one piece, and they are "only" mechanical problems, rather then accidents... 

We had a 5 hour delay at the garage, so we were almst straight onto a crossing. I know a lot of other cars which passed us wre delayed in the chunnel- I suspect by the Rouen traffic which bunched everyone together.

And as for the girlfriend...well, where can I find a woman who appreciates old Astons for what they are?

Will, with such a great attitude as yours I'm sure you wont be without a girlfriend for too long.

I do believe Geewizzpip suggested starting an Aston dating service sometime back Are you volunteering to start one up then Keith?

So welcome to the 'Singleton' ranks. We now number three who could become founder members - hah!  ;D

Hands up who else is single!

Hedgie x
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
My idea of a threesome is two girls and one bloke Hedgie, not the other way round.
Quote 0 0
NeilwilliamsV8
My car behaved itself all the way to Le Mans Tom Tom worked its magic getting me swiftly to all the places required
When on the parade de pilots she hemorrhaged coolant I am going to add a electric fan this should stop that
When on the track I pounded her a little too hard, she smoked profusely fearing engine oil I pulled off (yes I was the V8 on the side) it was auto fluid from the box hitting the exhaust, I don’t know were from as yet the level was still over the full mark, I assumed it was over filed and blew out of the breather, but when getting close to the tunnel I noticed the gear change was not as it should, :-[ oh yes the level didn’t register on the stick got on the train only waited 1 hr and got oil just of the train in the first service station
Home safe and sound and I will do it again
Quote 0 0
migtig
I took DB7 Vantage down. Had a great time. Not had any tickets in the post yet for speeding !!! Only problems , a new passenger inside door pull handle needed and a bottle of after- sun to take the sting away from sun burn. Good points were the cars, food , drink and the sights. The long road back with the music turned up and foot down.............Dave
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
geewizzpip wrote:

My idea of a threesome is two girls and one bloke Hedgie, not the other way round.

Now you know that's not what I meant you naughty boy!
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
Hedgie,
Good to read you are back posting,where have you beeeeen? :-*
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
Aaah...have you missed me then?

Think I'll start up another thread and chat to you there don't want to 'hi-jack' Will's thread.

Hedgie x
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
OOOooooOOOoooo  Hedgey's been dating.  Hope it wasn't someone (or group of someones) from the Cortina Club.
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
WolfVaB wrote:

OOOooooOOOoooo  Hedgey's been dating.  Hope it wasn't someone (or group of someones) from the Cortina Club.

Hey-oop Wolfie darling..how you doin'

A date??? If only that were true.... I live in hope of such a treat!!!

Hedgie x
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Quote:
.... I live in hope of such a treat!!!

You'll make excellent prey.

Quote:
..how you doin'

I'm trying to wean myself off having hedgehogs at lunch, but thanks for asking.
Quote 0 0
Hedgehog
WolfVaB wrote:

Quote:
.... I live in hope of such a treat!!!

You'll make excellent prey.

ooo my little legs are all a tremble...

Quote:
..how you doin'

I'm trying to wean myself off having hedgehogs at lunch, but thanks for asking.

I hear they are delicious when first rolled in clay then gven a good roasting.
Their skins peel off a treat after that.
And of course do keep the spikes....they make the perfect toothpick ;D

Please note Wolfie I am talking about the non-erinaceous domesticous variety.
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
I arrived in LeMans just before the down poor and thunder storms on wednesday and managed to pitch my tent in between showers and all was well.

Thursday was spent mostly shoping in the morning with my seven year old son appropriatly named Aston and a trip to McDonalds. 

After lunch I headed for the grandstand. I also managed to slip into the pits and struck up a conversation with the AMR team, I was delighted to be invited into the pit and I had a good look round the DBR9 with my son, a real treat, I shook hands with a bunch of people and wished them luck and trotted off for BBQ, wine, and a night time session in the grandstand ended a superb day, I slept very well.

Friday morning, relatively bright and early I headed off once again with my son in search of yet more shops, this is when the touble started !! in heavy traffic I over heated, my temperature was in the red so I pulled over and popped the bonnet, much to my shock and horror there was coolent splashed everwhere in the engine bay and an uncomfortable smell of burning.

I rang Trinity and followed the advice given by Ben and managed to limp back to camp, on route I spotted Will in his DBS V8 but he was too far away to talk, thankfully I had his number in my phone. By this time I was stranded again at Porche Curves, I rang Will and explained what was going on and he suggested when I get back to camp that he would come and have a look armed with toolbox. I managed to get to camp and as promised Will was there to help.

Will very quickly diagnosed a burst hose so a call to Tim from Trinity who was also holidaying in LeMans resulted in a rendevous and I managed to acquire a selection of hoses from his touring kit, but none were the right shape.

The evening was apon us and Will had prior engagements and dropped me back at camp. When I arrived back at my car I was welcomed by many new campers all eager to know what was going on with my car. Much to my relief a guy called John who I met last year was with a friend that is involved with Morgan Racing, the technical director no less, they raced two Morgans last year. I explained what had happned and they both lit up in delight, 'excellent we got an engine to play with, sit yourself down and have a beer' (I had a few actually).

It was amazing to watch, these guys reshaped one of the hoses I got from Tim using a bike seat pillar and a camp stove, made a gasjet out of a Kellogs cereal box and used shower gel for lube. Within hours I had a running motor with no leaks. It was too late to go out for a test drive so I left that until after the race had finshed although I left the car running on and off for a few hours. The car didnt miss a beat on the way home.

Thank you Ben for dealing with what must of sounded like a panic stricken mechanical novice (I can be forgiven though as I thought my car was on fire at one point), Will for being so generous with his time and driving me round LeMans scrounging parts, Tim and Rob for taking the time to help with hoses and advice, John and Bradley for putting everything back together and getting me home and my son for being so patient in the blistering heat.

Roll on LeMan 2007 !!!

Quote 0 0
pbrett
Unfortunately I didn't get to go this year and reading all your stories has made me very annoyed at the outlaws 40th anniversary clashing like that!

Next year hopefully I will get down with the DBS.  I have only had it for 4 months the previous owner hadn't used it much for the last 8 years so am having to sort the old girl back to full cruising fitness!  Hopefully it will all sweetness and light by then.
Quote 0 0
tim_c
Pleased that everyone got back safely. I only had one casualty as I smashed a lens hood.

I wansn't too keen on having to share my cabin with unknown French blokes on the way out and the way back too - I hadn't expected that at all.

Worse bit was the welcome that I got when i came back home - the cold shoulder treatment for 3 days. I forgot to bring the washing in when it started raining and my pillow got ruined. I was to tired that I just forgot and the s**t hit that fan. 51 weeks to go

See you all at Silverstone BTW
Quote 0 0