Russell
geewizzpip and i did a tour of the fields and it was a shame to see so many astons all in different places and clearly so many aston people that didnt meet up.
at the midnight champagne bar meet this turned into a fair crowd and the idea was muted about next year see if we can book a large camping plot in Hioux just for astons. possibly with an endorsement from the club.
Dixy voted that Williamp and myself organise it. (how did he do that)

So there we have it gents, open to all cars, all nationalities. who fancies it.

only serious responses please as we will have to be in a position very quickly to commit funds to it.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
The club will be supporting both regular and classic Le mans next year. The social committee is happy to co-ordinate any activities that the membership desires. It would have to be exclusive to members & guests. Why not bring your ideas and join the committee?
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Count me in
Quote 0 0
SJH
Count me in... I'd be a Le Mans virgin, and a little guidance would be most welcome.

Quote 0 0
williamp
Roy Smith wrote:

The club will be supporting both regular and classic Le mans next year. The social committee is happy to co-ordinate any activities that the membership desires. It would have to be exclusive to members & guests. Why not bring your ideas and join the committee?

Your name was mentioned as a contact. Our thoughts would be something like the following:

we approach the ACO as "the AMOC", with your blessing. We ask for a bunch of, say 30 camping tickets somewhere like Houx (which has electricity and is in a great location). This have a price of somehting like £50 per camping ticket. We offer one ticket to each member for £50. Therefore, we could have 30 members, and their cars in adjascent camping spaces.  We would not be offereing anything else- this is not a tour, with no itienrary, just the opportunity to camp next to each other and (lets be honest) display a great selection of cars to the other marques present. If we limit the tickets to one per member then we can guauantee a good selection of Astons, and not BMW's/Skodas etc amongst the ranks.

Each member will have to arrange their own food/drink/crossing/tent/wet weather gear/maps/breakdown cover/ chateau tour/ complementary DBR9 to take away afterwards etc. Members will need to be made aware of this beforehand, which we can mention in the club. "Just the ticket"- or "poor mans Le Mans" if you like.

It would just be getting a block booking of camping tickets using the AMOC name. How about it?

Will
Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
That's fine by me, Will. But we need to get an idea of likely numbers before we commit the club's funds.
We will be arranging other activities for both events which may also be of interest to the happy campers; dinners etc
How about a write up (taster) for the event in August AM News (less than 20% of members are on the forum).
Quote 0 0
williamp
Roy Smith wrote:

That's fine by me, Will. But we need to get an idea of likely numbers before we commit the club's funds.
We will be arranging other activities for both events which may also be of interest to the happy campers; dinners etc
How about a write up (taster) for the event in August AM News (less than 20% of members are on the forum).

Thanks, Roy. Can I call you about this tommorow (the Persuaders are on now...)

Will
Quote 0 0
Tim M
If Aston are there I really fancy doing Le Mans next year in the DB7V and then on to the Schlumph Collection at Molsheim---the problem is ---Mrs M will be along for the ride and she doesn't do tents (YET)--so are there any Hotels within staggering distance of the Houx campsite so I can join in the fun and Mrs M can bask in luxury? Any info would be gratefully received.

Quote 0 0
V12 Vanquish
Hotel Mercure in LeMans is some 5 mins from the racetrack (by car). It's ok to sleep for a few hours.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
V12 Vanquish wrote:

Hotel Mercure in LeMans is some 5 mins from the racetrack (by car). It's ok to sleep for a few hours.

Thats 5 minutes for 51 weeks of the year. I took 2 hours to get to the N23 on Sunday eavning >

Will I am still trying to organise permission and Allen is trying to find out GCSE timetables, but hopefully in.
Quote 0 0
Russell
i am pretty sure that we can come up with some common train and ferry crossing times where a bunch of us want to ride together.  SJH, i was a le mans virgin until this year and geewizzpip took me along with just him and i in our own cars and we had a right laugh. imagine with loads of us.
im sure we can meet at the eurotunnel then go on and then have a nother meet at the place outside le mans where the town is shut just for us Brits. it was fantastic and about 500 cars of all sorts and all british. you will see pictures of that with all the astons and we had maybe 10 or so there. forgotten the name but am sure others will remind us.
am sure also we can have a communal tent and bar and things like that.
i think there is enough support to get this going.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Russell

Did you & GWP stay in a hotel or camp at Houx? What do you propose to do next year?

Wedgie (LeMans Virgin)
Roger I
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
Yes, I'd like to be in provisionally, please.  Maybe it's asking too much, but it would be good to have a few additional pitches for accompanying non-Aston owners.  I agree that we don't want them interrupting the flow of Astons in the campsite line-up, but perhaps there could be a few at the end.  I mention this because my brother and his son came with me this year in his Discovery (which was a really useful support vehicle, especially with the four bikes strapped to the back), and they may well want to accompany me next year as well.

I echo Dixy's comment about traffic management which was appalling this year.  It took us an hour and a half just to get out of the campsite, and then we were forced by the gendarmerie to go in entirely the wrong direction so that it took us nearly another hour to get to our first coffee stop - at the services by the main circuit entrance.  It also took a couple of hours of stop start through Arnage to get to the campsite (Beausejour) on the Friday, and we suffered another hour and a half of the same thing on Sunday evening on the peage to Rouen.  It seemed this was caused solely by a lack of staff at the booths, enhanced by arguments at the booths by motorists who were understandably outraged by being charged €23 for the privilege of wrecking their engines, missing their ferry or, in our case, arriving at our hotel in Rouen at 10.30 p.m. instead of 6.30.  I hope they can do better next year.
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
Russell
wedgie this time keith and i stayed in a hotel outside of Le mans and drove in and back but the hotel was very exclusive but not expensive and one hoot of a time but you cant get a room for love nor money. geewizzpip has posted a separate thing with the pictures and in a small circular carpark in a hotel with maybe 30 rooms we had £2m in the car park.
next year its a tents thing and we hope to have a lively party atmosphere. williamp and i are happy to organise it at our end and have maybe two meeting points one at the tunnel and maybe one at the honflueur ferry end and then meet at the town outside le mans en masse.
we need some logistics to kick in so we can get a common tent and some entertainment. but thats about it. the rest as williamp says will be a get there yourself, book it yourself, meet on time or tough find the next meet. apart from the site itself and maybe taking payment up front for that the rest down to the individual.
at the moment i think we just need numbers for people and the same for vehicles.
if non aston want to be there then we need to know that and then we can approach them possibly via the amoc committee which would be good and see whats possible. priority to astons im afraid but after that yes who cares, its an appreciation society after all.
this will be a strictly no piston or headlamp count  ;D
lets celebrate the marque.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Would like to come and would be in the non Aston camp at present but would hope to have my DBS V8 by then. If not will bring my Rover, at least it's British!!
Quote 0 0
williamp
Russell wrote:

wedgie this time keith and i stayed in a hotel outside of Le mans and drove in and back but the hotel was very exclusive but not expensive and one hoot of a time but you cant get a room for love nor money. geewizzpip has posted a separate thing with the pictures and in a small circular carpark in a hotel with maybe 30 rooms we had £2m in the car park.
next year its a tents thing and we hope to have a lively party atmosphere. williamp and i are happy to organise it at our end and have maybe two meeting points one at the tunnel and maybe one at the honflueur ferry end and then meet at the town outside le mans en masse.
we need some logistics to kick in so we can get a common tent and some entertainment. but thats about it. the rest as williamp says will be a get there yourself, book it yourself, meet on time or tough find the next meet. apart from the site itself and maybe taking payment up front for that the rest down to the individual.
at the moment i think we just need numbers for people and the same for vehicles.
if non aston want to be there then we need to know that and then we can approach them possibly via the amoc committee which would be good and see whats possible. priority to astons im afraid but after that yes who cares, its an appreciation society after all.
this will be a strictly no piston or headlamp count  ;D
lets celebrate the marque.

Absolutly. We need to talk to several people at the same time:
-the ACO, to see if it possible (and what is needed from us)
-the AMOC, to make sure it is OK (and what is needed from us)
-members, to get an idea of numbers

I don't doubt that, in time people will want to arrange the finer points of camping- do we find someone with a Transit who is willing to take a gazebo, bicycles, spare tools, etc, what about those without Astons who still want to come, etc etc.

But for now, lets get the basics right. Then we can look at the finer things. But we must be careful not to arrange too much- if we do arrange a meeting then a tour, we might need insurance from the AMOC, etc etc...
Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
A few points;
The clubs insurers cover tours at no cost as long as we make it official.
The club has a large tent /small marquee which could be utilised as a common area. Ususally it only comes out for the prizegiving at the concours. Someone would need to take it -(Discovery?)
You should take a flag and flagpole.
The club has contact with ACO if you need it.
If you are planning to cross the channel together, the club can arrange discounted ferry tickets for groups of 20 or more.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Roy, Thank you for your instant commitment to this. In a world of "more than my jobs worth" it is so reffreshing to find someone being so possitive.
Well done William and Russel, I new my vote for you was well considered.
Quote 0 0
SJH
Tim M, I'm with you on this... same car... same problem with Mrs. SJH... the very thought of a tent  ???

The idea of all meeting around the same time for the in my case Eurotunnel crossing and gathering over in France really does appeal... a case of like-minded individuals.

I just wonder if AMR will be there next year?

Russell, take your point... I think it's just a case of a plan, and away we go!
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
OK lets go back a few steps.

This year there were many AMOC members camping, but all spread about over many sites.
The basic idea is to organise for them to all be together.

After that i's can be dotted and t's crossed. some will not be able to bring there Astons because of technical problems, some may not have Astons. All have the addiction.

We would try to display the Astons pressent as this year they attracted more interst than the Hawian tropic girls.

The rest is just details all we need at the moment is notice of seriouse interest and to know if it would be worth while.

For the Camp who could not possibly camp I am sure somone will organise a Hotel section, it would be good for the Club to have a complete meet up.
Quote 0 0
Virage Volante
There will be a Le Mans package for members who wish to stay in hotels.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Each member will have to arrange their own food/drink/crossing/tent/wet weather gear/maps/breakdown cover/ chateau tour/ complementary DBR9 to take away afterwards etc

Being a virgin in such matters may I ask:

Apart from the camping ticket are other tickets required say for grandstands & access to other areas & if so where from & which are recommended by you seasoned visitors?

Are the cars parked adjacent to the tents? What size plots are we talking about? What tents are recommended?

Do you actually take your own food & drink? Can't it be bought there?

What facilities (washing & WC) are likely to exist at the proposed site?

What are the pros & cons of taking kids (13 year old) or are you discouraging
this?

What are the best times to go & return given the traffic problems mentioned by some? What times are you proposing?

Is GWP camping in 2008?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I like to be organised & I did say I was a virgin.  My wife would never camp. Best to leave her at home.

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
You will need to buy a ticket to get into the circuit which gives you access to everywhere you are publicly allowed to go. If you want to sit in the grandstand, recommended for the start and finish, that is extra.

There are cafes and restaurants around the circuit which provide food and drink. I snacked when I went and only had a proper meal Sunday lunchtime in one of the restaurants. It was quite good value and quality.

I have never camped but having passed through various campsites it seems facilities vary, the proposed site has been used by other members in the past and, I believe, comes recommended because it has washing and toilet facilities. The cars are parked adjacent to your tent. What tent you have depends on how many travelling; apart from personal space remember to leave enough space for the beer!

I flew into Paris on morning of race so don't know about best times to get in and out etc. Would be good to see scruitineering and qualifying but realise this adds to the cost.

Would definitely leave wife at home!

Only been once but hope this helps
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Do we need to ensure, first of all, Aston Martin will have a racing prescence at Le Mans next year?
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Facilities are stretched so whilst there are shower and toilet blocks, expect to queue (and whilst they are clean, they are basic).  I wouldn't recommend taking a 13yo unless that 13yo is passionate about motor-racing, has huge stamina and won't report back to mum about how much beer you drink...  Seriously, the experience is tiring (lots of walking, lots of watching) and if my 12yo is anything to go by, interest levels wane after a few hours - which might make the next 20 hours quite painful for you.

Take him/her to the Silverstone event and if he/she is still going strong at the end, then you know you are onto a winner.

I'm sure we can teach him/her some new words over the weekend...
Quote 0 0