Russell Show full post »
Wedgie
AZ
You have rather confirmed my own thoughts. Thanks.

Roger I
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
Comme un chien avec deux bites?
Quote 0 0
williamp
Wedgie wrote:

Each member will have to arrange their own food/drink/crossing/tent/wet weather gear/maps/breakdown cover/ chateau tour/ complementary DBR9 to take away afterwards etc

Being a virgin in such matters may I ask:

Apart from the camping ticket are other tickets required say for grandstands & access to other areas & if so where from & which are recommended by you seasoned visitors?

Are the cars parked adjacent to the tents? What size plots are we talking about? What tents are recommended?

Do you actually take your own food & drink? Can't it be bought there?

What facilities (washing & WC) are likely to exist at the proposed site?

What are the pros & cons of taking kids (13 year old) or are you discouraging
this?

What are the best times to go & return given the traffic problems mentioned by some? What times are you proposing?

Is GWP camping in 2008?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I like to be organised & I did say I was a virgin.  My wife would never camp. Best to leave her at home.

;D

so many questions, so little time (well, Ok 12 months to reply...)

On top of the camping ticket (which is the difficult one to get), you will need a general entrance ticket. This will allow you to watch the racing. These are available on the gate, and don’t need to be bought in advance. You don’t need grandstand seating- much like silverstone, you can watch from a lot of locations without paying for a grandstand seat (called "Tribunes" by the circuit). Dixy does, I dont bother.

What you get with your camping ticket depends on the campsite. Some you just arrive at a field and have to fight for a space. In Houx you have an allocated space, with access to power. This is why I always try and get there, and why I am recommending it as the campsite to use. Yes it is a bit more expensive, but you can arrive anytime and know you have your own space. And with the power you can run a beer/ food fridge (its usually very,very hot), hairdryer/hair straighteners (not the only reason why Claire decided to come, but...).

The pitches are usually large enough for one car and one two man tent, though space savings can be made by a large group: park all the cars together, and all the tents/gazebos together.

Here are a few photos I have taken from this year which will give you a feel for Houx:

As for food and drink, you can buy everything there, but its usual to buy some from a local supermarket before you arrive, then BBQ.

Facilities include showers and toilets, and are cleaned regularly. I don’t have a problem with their cleanliness.  Generally if you leave the track just after the race, or beforehand its gridlock. If you give it a few hours then its fine.

This is what we do:

-drive down Thursday, arrive at Houx mid afternoon. Say hello to everyone, pitch tent, drop fridge off so everyone can start using it, then retire to our hotel 20mins south of the circuit for very good food, wine and air-conditioned rooms with nice beds.
-Friday: arrive at campsite via supermarket, unload, open beer, relax.
-Sunday: get back to campsite, relax and enjoy the campfire
Monday: drive back

It took us 4.5 hours this year to drive from Boulogne to Le Mans, using the Autoroute all the way but stopping for fuel and a bite to eat.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
That itinarary sounds like a good plan to me. I presume the £50 mentioned earlier is for the camping space? I'm a ACO member, will that help at all?
Quote 0 0
Russell
nmv2and3 wrote:

mange tout my friend, mange tout.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
Webby
Russell wrote:

nmv2and3 wrote:

mange tout my friend, mange tout.

Not my idea of an appetising snack.  ;D
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Great stuff but I have a question----WHEN is the Le Mans 24 hours being held next year---obviously in June---anything more specific would be good!
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Saterday to Sunday  ;D
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Thanks Dixy you're a great help 
Quote 0 0
Russell
dixy you are like the oracle mate
Quote 0 0
williamp
Give Dixy a break. He does'nt know any better...

Le Mans is usually the around this time, so it will probably be the 14th/15th June. I still think we're getting ahead of ourselves, but I'm happy to answer more questions if they are posted.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Williamp

Thanks for answering my questions so soon, and so fully.

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
williamp
Wedgie wrote:

Williamp

Thanks for answering my questions so soon, and so fully.

;D

My pleasure. And no, I dont know what the weather will be in 2008...
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
Williamp,do you know when classic Le mans is?
Quote 0 0
philmw
And who will win the Ascot Gold Cup today?
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
with only one horsepower who cares?
Quote 0 0
williamp
Le mans classic is 11th-13th July 2008.
Gold cup, according to my spiv, will be Geordieland
The only thing I cannot predict is when the next Aston will breakdown...
Quote 0 0
Russell
piece of piss that one. it will be a horse with a bloke on the back.
Quote 0 0
philmw
The same horse and bloke that I, and the rest of the world, bet on. 
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Grandstand tickets are excellent value.  We had Tribune 34, above the pits this year, great to watch the start and finish, and a haven at night and in any bad weather.  Would recommend.
Quote 0 0
Russell
i concur and even better this year with the rain as we watched the racing in the dry.
Quote 0 0
tunlaw
If an AMOC camping extravaganza is organised next year, this will be irrelevant, but I wonder if someone can tell me how to improve my chances of getting the tickets I want.  I am a member of the ACO and fondly imagined that I would be invited to apply for tickets in advance of the general public.  This didn't happen and, although I applied as soon as tickets went on general sale, I didn't get the grandstand or camping allocations I asked for (nor did I even get a seat in the ACO stand).  I know that some people apply at the race for allocations for the following year - is this the only way to do it, or can I apply at any time?

As for Aston Racing being present next year, they would be mad not to.  My wishful thinking prediction is podium finish (outright) next year, and outright winners in 2009 - 50 years from their last (and only) outright win.  Wouldn't that be nice?
John Cheyne
Quote 0 0
geofro
Hi Guys,
Great to see you've got the discussion well and planning underway.
Count me in for '08 too. Geoff
Quote 0 0
williamp
tunlaw wrote:

If an AMOC camping extravaganza is organised next year, this will be irrelevant, but I wonder if someone can tell me how to improve my chances of getting the tickets I want.  I am a member of the ACO and fondly imagined that I would be invited to apply for tickets in advance of the general public.  This didn't happen and, although I applied as soon as tickets went on general sale, I didn't get the grandstand or camping allocations I asked for (nor did I even get a seat in the ACO stand).  I know that some people apply at the race for allocations for the following year - is this the only way to do it, or can I apply at any time?

As for Aston Racing being present next year, they would be mad not to.  My wishful thinking prediction is podium finish (outright) next year, and outright winners in 2009 - 50 years from their last (and only) outright win.  Wouldn't that be nice?

As a member of the ACO, I have asked for a ticket allocation for Le Mans 2008 already. Dont wait for them to invite you to apply.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
What will happen if we pull off an AMOC pitch?

For interest those that have shown their hand so far, if I have missed anyone shout

WilliamP
Dixy
Russell
MCSV8
SJH
Tunlaw
Geofro
Geewizzpip
Quote 0 0