williamp
Thought this would merit a seperate thread: if we know, we can list our crossing times, arrivial times, campsites (if known) etc so as can see who is where and meet-up if possible

Williamp (DBS V Speedferries 07h00 Thu. Camping in Houx Friday/sat/sun night
Quote 0 0
geofro
Sounds good so far - I take it we're taking 24 Heures and not the classic? No plans so far but open to ideas.
Quote 0 0
tim_c
Tuesday night crossing Portsmouth-Cean

Maison Blanche camping Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun (although might need a hotel bed on Sunday night)

Quick Normandy beaches tour on Monday before home on the Monday night ferry

Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Probably travelling on P&O from Dover on the Friday. Staying at the Aston car-park in Houx Fri/Sat/Sun.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Tunnel Thursday mid morning, Honfleur Thursday night, driving down Friday and meeting up with Dutch Virage Mob.

Staying Friday at usual hotel, evening Pilot Parade.

Saturday might go to a race.  Saturday evening Champagne Bar at midnight

Sunday evening head to Paris and Monday golf at Paris Internation Golf Club.

Our hotel car park

Quote 0 0
TVJL
"I take it we're taking 24 Heures and not the classic?"

Classic Le Mans is a biannual event, and this is an 'off' year. By way of (great) compensation, the 'off' years are blessed with the Le Mans Legends race before the main event. Two years ago, we got to see Moss spin a C Type and then enjoyed lunch with him sitting at the next text table (back to back with my son). Great fun.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
I shal be going with my son, travelling out on Thursday eavning coming back Sunday night. Route seems difficult as Brittany ferries dont seem to want to let us have a 4 birth cabin for just 2 of us.
Quote 0 0
jockpercy
Williamp wrote:

Thought this would merit a seperate thread: if we know, we can list our crossing times, arrivial times, campsites (if known) etc so as can see who is where and meet-up if possible

Dr Jock (V8 OI) Chunnel Thur AM Camping HOUX - Chunnel Sun Midnight
Quote 0 0
tim_c
Dixy wrote:

I shal be going with my son, travelling out on Thursday eavning coming back Sunday night. Route seems difficult as Brittany ferries dont seem to want to let us have a 4 birth cabin for just 2 of us.

Last year I didn't realise that I had a shared cabin. I was in the shower when three guys came in    I'm sure that they espicially ensure that they fill the other bunks with French guys who speak no English what-so-ever.

Quote 0 0
williamp
Dr Jock wrote:

Williamp wrote:

Excellent! Another Aston in Houx. I look forward to a 4x V8 sound-off this year...
Quote 0 0
jockpercy
Williamp wrote:

Excellent! Another Aston in Houx. I look forward to a 4x V8 sound-off this year... FOR SURE !!!
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Dixy wrote:

4 birth ? - could be messy
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Trying to suss out names for the little dears is bad enough for one never mind four!
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Travelling out either thursday pm or friday am

probably back monday am via chunnel.

Accomodation is 5 kms from circuit unless I get something nearer.
Quote 0 0
geofro
I'm a 24hrs virgin, but this this might be the year to break my duck.
How far in advance do I need to book the ferry, Hotels / camp site?
And does anyone fancy having a newby join the for the trip?
I'm based in West London and would take my DB6 (proving its functioning correctly at the time). Geoff
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Suspect too late for a camp site
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
I have a spare ticket for Camping Technopark, which is next to Houx, available at face value.
Quote 0 0
geofro
Just found a tour with a UK classic car tour company, 14-18th June.
Seems like good value - can anyone tell me if this looks like a good way to do Le Mans?

- 4 nights Accommodation in 2 star hotels (in Langeais)
- Spectator passes to Le Mans 24 hours races for 3 days plus car park passes
- Services of a Tour Director
- Continental breakfast
- Rally plates and souvenir awards
- Road books and maps
- Return ferry Dover - Boulogne
- Price £399 pp.
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
Hoping to go.
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Hi, Geoff,

The ferry is about £100 and the spectator tickets are about £30. I would not recommend driving to and from the circuit during the race as traffic can be murderous. That's why camping is so popular.

Martyn
Quote 0 0
geofro
Martyn, Would you recommend skipping any organised trip and going DIY with camping?
Not knowing the ropes I'm worried I'll miss out on some good stuff, but the club trip is expensive, especially compared with the CCIT one.
Geoff
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Two years ago I went with Page and Moy which got me to and into the circuit but then let me do my own thing during the 24 hours. If I wanted a break I slept on the coach. They didn't run this last year as not enough people wanted to fly/coach but I see it's listed again this year.
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Hi, Geoff,
There probably could not be more difference than between the club trip and camping ! The CCIT may be a good option if you're not prepared to rough it a bit. The camping is pretty basic, though most sites have showers and toilets. I'm staying with WilliamP and some other Astons (Dixy??) in Houx campsite. This is the most de luxe of the ACO sites which is not saying much. But it's what you make of it that counts and the atmosphere in the campsites is part of the experience. This year will be my 19th consecutive visit and I would'nt stay anywhere else. I hope to see you and your car there !
Quote 0 0
geofro
Yes I hope so...watch this space for plans.
Also planning to go to Pebble Beach, just started a new thread here: http://www.amoc.org/forum/index.php?topic=4166.0
geoff
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Geoff, I went lst year for the first time, camping at Houx and would not consider anything less. The more comercial enterprise gets involved the more it is sterilised until you may as well stay at home and watch it on TV.
You will miss out on lots of good stuff as it is not possible to do everything, what better excuse do you need to go back.
Quote 0 0