Dwarf
Is anyone going to Mallory Park on 21st April, (I think this is the right date).

Quote 0 0
Webby
If it is the Track Day you mean, it is indeed the right day, as the Calendar (to the right of this page) confirms.
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
I have not been before and fancy going to spectate.

Do I need to book anything in advance or can I just turn up?
Quote 0 0
Webby
That's why I pointed you at the Calendar entry Dwarf, as it contains a link to the entry form. http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=461&Itemid=232
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
Ah thanks webby, note to self, less time in forums more time learning website.

One thing that is not totally clear to me, is participation compulsary? or can I just turn up and spectate for a few hours ??? or if I do that will I kick myself for not joining the track?

Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
Enjoying yourself is compulsory, everything else is voluntary.

There are different sessions on the track so that novices won't be hounded by championship winners.  There will normally be "instructors" or "observers" - experienced race drivers who will go out with you free of charge to teach you the racing line and give you a bit of confidence.  You don't have to drive an Aston, it can be anything.

Actually, there are one or two other things that are compulsory for track driving: firstly, the ten minute talk about how to join the race track from the pits/exit the race track to the paddock/what the flags mean, etc; secondly, if I recall correctly, a helmet is compulsory if participating in a track session - check before you go though.

Watching and chatting in the paddock is fun as well - I doubt that there's a charge for that.
RichardB
Quote 0 0
williamp
I'll be there in the DBS V8, and Martyn will be there in his V8, plus there sahould be some more modern cars there, but we can discount them as their V8 engines are only 4.3 litres and will probably get in the way...

...ahem!...

Even if you dont drive and just spectate, do pay £10 in advance and arrive with a crash helmet (motorcycle is fine, as is open face if the car's got a roof), and get the passenger wrist-band.

This means you can be a passenger. The day is usually split into three 40 minute sessions- car only, race car only and any vehcile plus passenger, which is repeated. Hence, all you need to do is walk up and down the pitlane and someone will grab you and take you out onto the track- if they arrive on their own, they only get 1/3rd of the day. With a passenger, they can have 2/3rd day. And its the same price regardless, so a spare person with a helmet is always welcome.

Dont lend your helmet, though. One person I know lent theirs to a well known driver "for a few laps" who then decided to use the helmet for the remainder of the last session of the day. Not really fair...
Quote 0 0
Webby
Sorry Dwarf, hadn't spotted you didn't want to participate. (Note to self, read messages and digest thoroughly before replying.). I'm not sure if there is a charge for being a spectator and suggest you drop a line to Jane Pratt, comps@amoc.org to check.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Golden rule for buying a helmet "If you have a cheep head buy a cheep helmet"
Quote 0 0
waynejaffe
If you have a "cheep" head, you must be a chicken!
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Perhaps this is how bird flu will cross the species gap
Quote 0 0
williamp
Great day, despite the wather before lunch, ans my car giving up half way there (passenger rides only for me...). Great to meet you Dwarf, as well. I think we need to keeop the you-know-what secret. Golf clubs and luggage can be very expensive to replace, cant they!
Quote 0 0
waynejaffe
I had a great time in my AMV8, thought it was a really enjoyable day and the weather improved after lunch giving two different driving conditions either side of lunch. Sorry I never met other forum users but did enjoy talking to the owners I did meet. Look forward to more events.
I was also glad to see the AMV8 show every other road car a clean pair of heels, even if was my mate driving it when it performed well and me driving it at a rather more sedate pace.
The young upstart has arrived!
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
The AMV8's certainly made the best roadcar noise. Thanks to John ? for taking me as a passenger in his for some exciting laps. He said that as his car had only done 500 miles he was taking it easy...could have fooled me.

The winner of the best noise of the day had to be the Goldsmith DB6 - awesome !

I was also lucky enough to have some circuit tuition from Gillian Goldsmith - an honour indeed and very instructive.

Thanks to Jane and her team for organising yet another excellent track day.

Martyn
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
This was my first track day and probably the most fun I have had in a long while, I had no idea what to expect.

Really great to meet so many people, must admit didnt do much talking because my permanent grin got in the way  ;D

I thought I was overheating after only a few laps during the morning session, someone pointed out to me that I should ensure the aircon is off and the heater blower on full, this bought the guage down to a more comfortable level and I was even happier by mid afternoon.

My car was a delight at the pace we were doing, I picked it up the night before from Tim Butcher who had just carried out a major service and bedded in some new discs and pads. The braking was amazing and the balance after Tim's 'tweeking' was excellent.

I agree the AMV8's were sounding very nice. Thanks John for taking me round for a few laps, and thanks to the JAFF V8 for making me drive even faster !

Also the #7 DB7 was a joy to follow round and ocassionally pass, the kick down on acceleration was particularly enjoyable to see and hear.

WilliamP your secret is safe with me, you know what to take to the spring concours 

Thanks everyone for the support during the day, got loads of tips, do's and dont's. Cant wait for another go soon.

Quote 0 0
Dwarf
http://www.reillystudios.co.uk/performanceart.php

venue: = Mallory Park
date := 21/04/06

Great pictures from the day.
Quote 0 0
MCSV8
Thanks for the link, Dwarf. I hope your overheating is cured. Your car has the best road-DB7 exhaust note I've heard.

Martyn
Quote 0 0