MJN53
I'm disappointed that the Dutch Operator of Motorail out of Den Bosch has ceased operations, leaving many with no travel and out of pocket.

I've researched and found another Dutch Operator offering a service running from Dusseldorf to Verona during the summer, has anyone any experience of this, as I've booked the rest of our Road Trip, I don't think I've any choice?

Any comments welcome.

Mike
Quote 0 0
asington
For what it's worth - I drove to Florence last year - via Le Touquet, Paris and Lutry (on Lake Geneva). All the main runs were long - around 500 miles but OK in a good car. Once in Switzerland the driving is a sheer pleasure and once over the border into Italy, it was just superb. SNCF also cancelled the service from northern France so obviously it just isn't a profitable operation. Drive it - you won't regret it - but do have plenty of rest-stops.
Quote 0 0
MJN53
the road trip starts when I'm down in Italy, doing the lakes, southern alps etc, and most Aston owners will understand this ..trying to keep the mileage down!
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
asington wrote:

For what it's worth - I drove to Florence last year - via Le Touquet...
Did you fly it over to Le Touquet?
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
psmahi
Hello all, 

I have driven to Lake Como twice in my 06 Vantage and looking to do so again this year in June or Sept .

Last years route was via Germany (overnight stay on Heidelberg ) , Switzerland before dropping into Italy . German part was very mundane apart from speed and road surface wasn't great .

I too thought of taking extra overnight stops along the way but IMO everything is just 2nd class compared to the Italian lakes and i just want to get there as soon as possible.

Interested in other routes and the motor rail if anyone has done that.

Cheers
Pim
Quote 0 0
dwell
Hi Pim,
Took my V8V over the Alps to Lake Como two years ago - very pleasant!  Off next week to Lake Garda, this time taking a week to get there and going via the Moselle, the Rhine, the Bavarian Alps into Austria and finally over the Dolomites to Lake Garda - just plugged it into the Aston sat nav (which despite its poor reviews I've always found adequate) and it looks like a smashing 1000 mile road trip - haven't even thought about the return journey! Regards, Dave.
Quote 0 0
psmahi
Sounds fantastic Dave  - tempted  to do June aswell as  Sept . Let me know how you get on via Austria as I am considering that route this time .

If you are going to Lake Garda and staying in Sirmionie old town  you will queue up at the draw bridge crossing  ,  drive through the very very narrow pedestrian heavy streets and depending on your hotel cross pizzeria laden piazzas - but  the Aston seems to have Moses like qualities and the crowds simple part , stand by , watch and admire - and you may even get some English dinners break out in applause and the odd  'England England England ' chant - you have been warned .
Quote 0 0
asington
Sirmionie is delightful - you lucky so-and-so! Enjoy!!
Quote 0 0
dwell
Thank you, we are staying just up the coast and so will seek out Sirmionie! regards, Dave
Quote 0 0