CJ
This year's New York International Auto Show will be held on April 14-23 at the Jacob Javits center. I will definately be attending, though I am not sure of a date at this time. Does anyone know if/when they are going yet? I'd love to meet up.

As a member of AMOC, will I be able to get any closer to the Astons than the other people crowding around them? Last year they would not give me a broshure, I was thinking that if I were to mention my membership they would. Any ideas on how I should present myself? (Remember, I'm 15, not even near driving- let alone buying an AM) I was thinking about wearing my DB5 logo t-shirt, AMR cap, and AMOC lapel pin (on the cap).

Tips, pointers, ideas? Thanks.
Quote 0 0
DavidBrownsGhost
Hey CJ - you have a PM...
Quote 0 0
CJ
Sorry, didn't get one. :-\
Quote 0 0
DavidBrownsGhost
As a person who's worked the LA auto show - and as a former younger person who really really wanted to get closer to the action, I can offer the following:

First - you're trying to make a sale - the sale of the notion that letting you in, letting you take photos, sit in a car, etc., won't impact their ability to connect with someone buying a car, and won't take an inordinate amount of their time.  It's unfortunate, but if you have this in the back of your head, you'll be that much closer to your goal.

Find someone like me.  Unfortunately, I won't be there (sorry) - But - read the faces, body language, and demeanor of the folks who are working, and find someone who's more about "having fun" than "generating business" (if there are such people at the NY auto show).

Go when the show isn't crowded if you can - mid-day on a weekday is best.

Once you have the attention of someone behind the glass curtain, be straight-up and explain your love of the brand - without going overboard.  I don't know any other way to say this - but - you want to appeal to someone on the grounds that you're not going to take a lot of their time.  Personally, I wouldn't wear all your stuff - I'd go dressed "smart casual" but not over-the-top Aston-y.

If you can engage someone in conversation you might get behind the glass, especially if it's not too busy.  Just flat out tell them that you realize they're there for business, but if you could just get a photo... ...sit in a car for a second... Act like you understand that the folks on the other side of the glass are there so they can generate business and make their living.   It'll go a long way.

Be very cool, calm, relaxed and very low-maintenance.  Take someone with you who'll stay cool as well, and who can take photos so you don't have to prevail upon the folks who are working there.

If all this fails - just outright lie (convincingly).  The competitors Aston has identified are the Bentley Continental GT (DB, the Flying Spur (Rapide) the Ferrari 575 (Vanquish), and the 911 (Vantage).  Say your dad is about to take delivery/trade/upgrade any one of these and that your MOM is sick of them, has ALWAYS loved Astons, and that she sent you to get some info to try to convince him that DB9/Rapide/Vanquish/AMV8 is the better choice and that you'd really like to show him some photos/brochures/etc.

I hope this helps.
Quote 0 0
DavidBrownsGhost
hmmm... it's an email.  Send me an email with address info and I'll hook you up with brochures...
Quote 0 0
CJ
Check your inbox. Thanks so much! ;D
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
CJ will the snow have cleared by the time the show starts? I was in Boston/New York area with a friend exactly a year ago and whilst cold and icy no snow fell. Thank God we went last year. We pray all is well with you and those you hold close to you. Martin
Quote 0 0
CJ
Thanks. We're all good, just covered in a foot of the white stuff. Actually we had a snow day today, so I'm enjoying my day off from school. ;D
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Relieved to hear it and glad some good has come from the bad. martin
Quote 0 0
Steve Kroh
You might write to Aston-Martin before you attend and tell them your situation.  Remind them that the admirer of today who is unable to drive but has a desire for the vehicle or a dream of owning the car in the future is a customer who ultimately, keeps them in business even if you buy a used vehicle you still create a demand for their cars aiding in maintaining the trade in values.  Rolls-Royce before the split always marketed to the youth understanding that they needed a fresh source of customers for ongoing business success.  Also follow some of the other suggestions.  Attending at the off hours is more likely to insure success.
Quote 0 0
CJ
Thanks, Mr. Kroh!

Although, DBG has really helped me out with this issue. For my sake and his, I don't want to go into more detail.

Thanks[sup][again][/sup] to Joe!
Quote 0 0
CJ
I'll be going this Saturday. Does anyone else plan to be there that day?
Quote 0 0
john curtis
This is of no help to you CJ, but it reminds me of when the Lagonda was launched at the Motor Show in London,a good few years ago.About 30?
Well, I pitched up at the Aston stand and everyone was crowded round trying to get a glimpse from behind the barrieres, and I think it was up on a platform.
However, a subtle flash of the AMOC Membership card and my wife and I were welcomed to the "inner sanctum".
I was a DB5 owner at the time. A pleasant memory.
John

PS I don't think you should be too "logo'd up". Less is more.
Quote 0 0
CJ
I'll be leaving here for NY in less than two hours. I'll try my best to post some photos when I get back tonight. Thanks to all for their advice and ideas.
Quote 0 0