mcatlin Show full post »
TVJL
Damen wrote:

The DB6 Volante was good, it was new, but it wasn't correct.  If it turned up at the AMOC autumn concourse and was judge on a "as it left the factory" basis, then it wasn't terribly correct.  The DB5 convertible was a nice, honest car, which could be readily used. 

I do agree with you about the DB5 convertible, but why do you hold this view re the DB6 Volante?
Quote 0 0
geofro
Anyone have any thoughts on the difference between the Blue DB6, lot no 208, which sold for £46k, and the grey DB6 Vantage, Lot no 222, which sold for £108k.
I didn't get to see the engine bays or underneath but externally the Blue one looked the car, and reasonably priced.
I was therefore pretty baffled why the Vantage went for SO much more, possibly a record price for any DB6 fixed head, when if anything the condition was not as good?
Geoff
Quote 0 0
Damen
Geofro

The blue DB6 was not a Vantage and had a Webasto roof plus chassis work which was very much non standard.

The Vantage was a nice car but it was not perfect, it needed paint.  One of the things which drove the price up was the fact that two individuals (I believe private buyers) both wanted the car.  It was near to being sold at £80k but managed to creep up to £108k.

Tim

I'm not sure which "view" you are highlighting in my post.  If it's the non original bit, then I could list lots and lots which were not correct.  The leather was poor, the hood didn't fit like an original and the engine bay was a long way off what I'd consider to be the standard it originally left Newport Pagnell.  However, it was a very nice car.

Damen
Quote 0 0
geofro
Damen,
Yes I wondered if the Blue DB6 was sub-standard elseware. What did you spot chassis wise? And agreed, £80k was probably a more realistic price for the grey car, but hey ho, I have no problem with honest DB6 Vantages topping 100k, I've got one myself!
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Damen wrote:

Geofro

Tim

I'm not sure which "view" you are highlighting in my post.  If it's the non original bit, then I could list lots and lots which were not correct.  The leather was poor, the hood didn't fit like an original and the engine bay was a long way off what I'd consider to be the standard it originally left Newport Pagnell.  However, it was a very nice car.

Damen

Damen,

Your comments almost sound as if we are talking about different cars! The non-standard roof fabric and the resulting difficulty when folded has already been touched upon. I don't recall any obvious defects with the interior (other than the fact that I didn't like the colour), and I'm baffled by your 'under the hood' observations. Yes, there were a couple of minor 'mods' but nothing that would have lost many points in a concours, IMHO. Would you care to expand a little?

Tim
Quote 0 0
williamp
and that Brown DB6 (who would'nt respray it???) going for more money. I too am baffled by the price of the DB6's at Bonhams
Quote 0 0
geofro
Interestingly the brown DB6 looks like it didn't reach its reserve, as its shown as not sold on Bonhams site. It was a MKII Vantage, so you would expect to pay a premuim.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
But it's braaaaaaaaaaawn. They tell me that you can't sell DB cars that are THAT colour or yella, why(?)t, pin( )k, or go(urgggh)ld.
Quote 0 0
RCVantage
Anyone here going tomorrow - Looks like it'll be raining but I'm still going to bring the Vantage anyway - Anyone else chancing it ?

RC
Quote 0 0
williamp
I'll be there, but not in the Aston. We're aiming to get there or mid-morning

Will
Quote 0 0
tim_c
On the subject of workshop manuals and last weeks auction

I guess this style of workshop manual (70's reprint?) is not a precious one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aston-Martin-DB4-DB4-GT-Workshop-Manual_W0QQitemZ230132209960QQihZ013QQcategoryZ100935QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Registrar of Cars, AMHT
Quote 0 0
John Purser
tim_c wrote:

On the subject of workshop manuals and last weeks auction

I guess this style of workshop manual (70's reprint?) is not a precious one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aston-Martin-DB4-DB4-GT-Workshop-Manual_W0QQitemZ230132209960QQihZ013QQcategoryZ100935QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess it's precious if it contains information you need.... ;D
But TTBOMK this is one of the Forshaw's reprints which were available from the mid 70s at quite affordable prices. I think I paid 15-20 quid around then for the DB2/2-4 version. Those were the cars they boughts ther rights to. Quite possible copies (without the stains) are still available off the shelf.
I'm almost certain it wasn't the book that was delivered with the cars. 
Quote 0 0
annereed
You can still get copies of workshop manuals from Forshaws.  Can't quite remember how much but under £50 I think.

Anne
Quote 0 0