Rich5ltr Show full post »
Rich5ltr
MPD wrote:
 The 2020 Dudley Coram Lecture will be on the 15th of May 2020 at Brooklands as part of the celebration of 100 years to the day of Aston Martin’s first track race. More information available from AMHT soon.
And if you have any input on the matter may I ask that it is not combined with a three course dinner etc. The attraction of the lecture at the barn was the informal, convivial atmosphere, not a formal dinner type event. 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
tim_c
Those who know me are aware that for a short while longer (I hope), that I’m dealing with major work issues. Because of this, I’m not able to spend time discussing the matters brought up in this thread. PM me if you feel the need to know more.

Having said that, I very much hope to be at the DB lecture in York next week. As soon as the pharmacy closes, I will have a fast car and even faster driver standing by in order to transport me from Grimsby to York by the time the food is served.

If it helps, the Palawan ‘V8 Register’ is not THE V8 Register. Neither Chris or myself have had any part to play in the publication. First we knew about it was when everybody else knew about it. We are planning to have a free to members real printed V8 Register which will be considerably more detailed than the Palawan publication as soon as practicable during 2020. This does however mean that my work issue is resolved beforehand and that is out of my hands right now. 
Registrar of Cars, AMHT
Quote 2 0
philmw
Thank you Tim. 
Quote 0 0
rcfurse
At the Area Reps Mtg, Rob complained that very few people had signed up for the lecture. When I found out where it was and when (Thank you Mark) I rang the number listed in the E Mail to book my place. After 14 attempts I concluded that there might be something wrong or that my number was blocked. Perhaps to stop me asking any more difficult questions?
On calling from a landline I got "this number doesn't exist" (or words to that effect).
So I went online to the AMHT website to get their number. No number is given.
Bing told me that the number is apparently 400414 and not 400410 as per the E Mail.

I think AMHT might get more support if they made it a bit easier for people to support them.
I will try and call tomorrow to book my place.
Quote 1 0
Rich5ltr
😁😅😁
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
monster
I voted against forming the Trust and I still think it was a bl...y silly idea ." Giving away the family silver to avoid it being stolen", is a superb analagy.
Common sense just isn't very common I'm afraid.
Club activities would be better catered for  if the Club stopped paying for the Trust.
Quote 0 0
rcfurse
Well, what is clear is that the Trust (well the Chairman of the Trust for sure) is not interested in hearing anyone else's views and is hell bent on building a bricks and mortar museum.
Personally I believe that the only thing that will get any sense out of AMHT is turning off the "free money" tap. AMOC could easily do that by simply stopping the block grant and then providing money to AMHT on a case by case rigidly specified basis.
Because AMOC members had concerns about the direction the Trust was headed in and said so Rob Smith and AMHT have deliberately set themselves up so that members have no say or influence on the Trust. No vote on who the Trustees are or where the Trust is going. Only Rob and his appointed trustees decide. If they raise all their own money off people who support their aims that is fine but the Trust are almost entirely funded by AMOC who have NO say and many of the AMOC members who fund the Trust do NOT agree with the direction it appears to be headed in.
I accept that the Forum is a small minority of the AMOC membership plus it is the most voluble but they are the canaries in the coal mine on this one IMHO.
Quote 0 0
monster
Common sense is obviously much more common in North Wales!
I agree 100% with you Richard.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
MPD wrote:

The 2020 Dudley Coram Lecture will be on the 15th of May 2020 at Brooklands as part of the celebration of 100 years to the day of Aston Martin’s first track race. More information available from AMHT soon.


Is that the Dudley Coram lecture for 2019 or 2020 ?
The event in York is the David Brown lecture.

Bear in mind that the Dudley Coram lecture was conceived and executed as a 'speaker, presentation, tea and cake' on a Saturday afternoon, originally in a variety of venues and since 2001 in the owned Barn.

A Friday at Brooklands along with a related AMOC/AMHT event is a nice idea - but how many of those reading don't know that the reason we do not have a Club HQ in the old tea rooms at Brooklands was because the access via the M25 was too difficult ? As one of those promoting Brooklands as a varied destination, this access pinch point is ever on our minds.
Quote 0 0
Thibaut
Having these events on saturday is a better idea for all of those who work during the week
Not having an audio recording of these for members in other countries to listen is really shameful in this day and age where a simple mobile phone could do the trick.
After being neutral on the question of AMHT, I am now very much with Gary and others on the question.
Let's see how the resolution pans out. 
Quote 0 0
DrDavidB
John Purser wrote:

A Friday at Brooklands along with a related AMOC/AMHT event is a nice idea - but how many of those reading don't know that the reason we do not have a Club HQ in the old tea rooms at Brooklands was because the access via the M25 was too difficult ? As one of those promoting Brooklands as a varied destination, this access pinch point is ever on our minds.


Pardon? I’ve always thought that the proximity to the A3 junction of the M25 was one of the things that makes Brooklands so easy to get to! JP, did we once have an opportunity to base our HQ at Brooklands? If so, is that option definitely dead?
Quote 0 0
John Purser
DrDavidB wrote:


Pardon? I’ve always thought that the proximity to the A3 junction of the M25 was one of the things that makes Brooklands so easy to get to! JP, did we once have an opportunity to base our HQ at Brooklands? If so, is that option definitely dead?


a) amongst many options 20 years or so ago for a physical property that was bigger and better than the premises in Sutton, near Ely, was an offer of the old tea rooms at Brooklands.
b) a meeting was held there to assess them and other options. Michael Urban and I had done a bit of investigation into the viability, how much to repair them. It was all doable.
c) someone I won't identify (to lessen embarrassment) arrived late via the M25 and said it would not be a good idea because of the traffic. There it stopped, dead in the water
d) those premises are now let out.
e) more recently the Trust were offered (to rent) the headquarters building of the Aeroclub, but that is not really viable - they are offices, away from the Museum. 
f) one of the problems that Brooklands faces is shortage of space. The footprint of the Clubhouse, Paddock, sheds, finishing straight, the old Vickers labs and the bus museum and the (wonderful) new Flight Museum and the static aircraft park (with a Concorde and several other big aircraft stored outside) means that space to construct anything is very small. I've been trying to get the National Cycling Museum there (there was a cycle race shortly after the opening and further links to cycle racing) but it's not making much progress. Sadly, there is not enough room left for large buildings.
g) As an example of one make car museums,the Bugatti Trust Museum at Prescott is wonderful in terms of exhibits and presentation, but probably only 50 x 30 feet.
Bentley don't have one - throwing in their lot at Enstone.
Mot of the rest is at Coventry or Gaydon.
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
John Purser wrote:
... Bear in mind that the Dudley Coram lecture was conceived and executed as a 'speaker, presentation, tea and cake' on a Saturday afternoon, originally in a variety of venues and since 2001 in the owned Barn.

A Friday at Brooklands along with a related AMOC/AMHT event is a nice idea - but how many of those reading don't know that the reason we do not have a Club HQ in the old tea rooms at Brooklands was because the access via the M25 was too difficult ? As one of those promoting Brooklands as a varied destination, this access pinch point is ever on our minds.
As you say John,  the Dudley Coram lecture has morphed into a Friday afternoon/evening with a £65 per head BBQ ! That's a totally different concept to the friendly Saturday afternoon presentation and chat  that I used to enjoy. The lecture is not really a "partners and wives" type thing so to turn this into yet another expensive (£130 for two) event is disappointing.  Ah'm oot! as Duncan Bannatyne would say. 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
Vanquish Rider
As you say the AMHT has morphed out of all recognition. Few saying for the better. 

Turning into a club for those with deep pockets. Not all Aston owners have pockets of that size. 
SteveE

Life Begins Outside Your Comfort Zone
Quote 0 0