The Judge
Hi all -  About to embark on a bit of an unscripted road trip from Colorado to Napa/Sonoma on Monday.  Are there any AMOC gatherings next weekend in the area? If so, I'd love to join in with the roadster.

Also - whilst I'm intending on making a bee-line interstate route of it on the way out, I have the luxury of some latitude on the return trip.  I am not at all familiar with the area.  Just looking at the map and wondering - Is route 50 a viable and worthwhile alternative to I-80 heading east through the Sierra's?  Does anyone have another  (safe) scenic route they might suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Noel.
Quote 0 0
augkuo
Hi Noel -
Definitely route 50 will be a better choice than 80 with the top down!  Route 88 is also very scenic but a bit longer...

have a good trip!

Augie
Quote 0 0
The Judge
Thanks for the intell.  Much appreciated, Augie.
Quote 0 0
inforapound
You could also cross the Sierras through Yosemite which would be awesome in a convertible as long as you could keep your eyes on the road.  You could enter Yosemite valley through the west entrance, and spend the night.  After that, go up 3,000' to the east through Tuolemne Meadows and take Tioga Pass down the backside of the eastern Sierras.  Tioga Pass is an amazing road and is only open Spring through Fall.  Once you're down the pass to Hwy 395 you could either turn south towards a Las Vegas stop or north to Lake Tahoe.  South gives you the eastern Sierras which have a sheer rise on this side of the range as well as some volcano fields.  Go north and you hit the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe. You can't lose, if you have the time.  Take a camera and write a blog.  As in Colorado, the leaves will be turning this time of year at the higher altitudes.  It would be amazing.  my 2 cents...

Tioga Pass
Quote 0 0
The Judge
Quote 0 0