SJH
Anybody here looking to attend this meeting?

Oulton is a really nice circuit, and there is even a great new 'Gastro' pub around the corner should the standard track fare not appeal.

Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Never have made it to Oulton, might do so this time!
Quote 0 0
lml698
You should come along. Not only to see the 5 races featuring Aston's but it is probably the best viewing circuit for spectators that AMOC go to.  Also a nice setting in the countryside  and lots of space in the paddock
Quote 0 0
john curtis
Also important to listen to Blaster Bates recounting the story of how "Knicker Brook" was named. ;D
Quote 0 0
SJH
Timetable

09.00  Porsche Open PRACTICE 

09.20  Rawles Motorsport Austin Healey Club Championship PRACTICE 

09.40  AMOC UBS Aston Martin Championship Classic PRACTICE 

10.05  AMOC UBS Aston Martin Championship Historic PRACTICE 

10.25  AMOC Yokohama Mid-Engined Sports Cars Series PRACTICE 

10.45  AMOC Intermarque® Championship PRACTICE 

11.10  Pre-War/Feltham/50s Sports Cars Race PRACTICE 

11.30  Porsche Club Championship PRACTICE 

11.50  Half-Hour Endurance Race PRACTICE 

12.20  LUNCH - 1 HOUR 

RACE 1  Porsche Open RACE 15 mins 

RACE 2  Rawles Motorsport Austin Healey Club Championship RACE 15 mins 

RACE 3  AMOC UBS Aston Martin Championship Classic Race (Post-1960s) RACE 15 mins 

RACE 4  AMOC UBS Aston Martin Championship Historic Race (Pre-1960s) RACE 15 mins 

RACE 5  AMOC Yokohama Mid-Engined Sports Cars Series RACE 15 mins 

RACE 6  AMOC Intermarque® Championship RACE 20 mins 

RACE 7  Pre-War/Feltham/50s Sports Cars Race RACE 15 mins 

RACE 8  Porsche Club Championship RACE 15 mins 

RACE 9  Half-Hour Endurance Race RACE 30 mins
Quote 0 0
SJH
Twas a great day... plenty of Aston's, but scattered all over the circuit which was a shame really as they were all of a very high standard. It would of been nice to see them together.

People 'love' Aston's so much... the level of interest in my car was extraordinary... and very rewarding.

Parked at one stage next to a DB9 Volante, which was next to a new XK8... a dream realised for the AM owner, who remains a little reluctant to get involved in the club as he feels it's a little to 'anal and beardy'... hopefully my complete lack of engineering wisdom and clean shaven look will get him involved in the future  The XK looked somewhat overblown, bloated and compromised next to our cars... which is always pleasing! The interior of the XK simply looked so ordinary and so familiar to much more modest cars.

Some great racing... excellent to see a 40 year old DB4 push a less than 10-year old Porsche around the circuit... shame to see two DB4's collide with a fair degree of front end damage to one of the cars... and the red DB4 Zagato was beauty personified.

The sun was shining and we were still in short-sleeve shirts at 6.00pm... nice in September. Think I might even venture over to Donnington in October after such an excellent day.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Yes you know it was the first time I've ever made it to Oulton, even after all my years in the AMOC. It's a lovely circuit, great atmosphere (a thousand times better than the soulless wastes of Silverstone) - well worth the trek from London. It seems to me when we get the racing mix right, the attendance both from members and followers of invitation series attracts a healthily diverse blend of interesting cars, and consequently the right atmosphere. There was a lot of great racing but I was particularly sad to see Mark Campbell's 2/4 take a knock in practice. I hope it will be back in action soon. A speed model found the tyres but leaking coolant was stopped up and it was out again in no time. Very impressive! The feltham race saw some brilliant dicing between the DBR and DB2. David Taylor's Le Mans was amazingly quick. A fair few Astons were in atttendance including the DBS shooting brake.  I agree a dedicated parking area would be helpful, but the pleasure of OP is you can take the car to drive over to different viewing points, so it may not work that well.. I was impressed to pass David Such on the M40 the night before, driving to the race and coming home via the Curborough Sprint. The true spirit of racing! A great day for the club.
Quote 0 0
SJH
What car were you in your Lordship?

Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Nothing worthy of the day on this occasion! And you?
Quote 0 0
philmw
I can answer that - a very nice DB7 Vantage in a wonderful green.

Walked past you car, SJH, but didn't see you.  Hope to see you at Donnington.
Quote 0 0
SJH
Derwent Green... he says with absolute knowledge!

Sorry I missed you Phil. Will certainly make the Donnington meeting... football a tad disappointing 

A young lad in an AM T-Shirt came up to us with his Dad raving about the car. We let him sit in the car and his Dad made comment to his son about how special the day had been as he had already had the same opportunity in a Ferrari... only to have his son point out that "although that was great it wasn't a Aston though Dad!"... What a kid!  ;D
Quote 0 0
philmw
A tad. 

My 7 year-old enjoyed it though.  His first proper match.  Increased his vocabulary no end, and learnt a few songs as a bonus.

Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Sorry to have missed you both - how about we all wear eye patches at Donington?
Quote 0 0
SJH
Not a great day for the Blue half of town at Blackburn either...  The first song my son questioned me about was "the referee's a w****r"... "what's a w****r dad?". Classic comedy moment as everybody around awaited my response...

Eye patches indeed... I'm off to Cornwall next weekend, so I'll be attending in full Pirate regalia if that helps 
Quote 0 0
silverdb4
Hi - do you know anyone who may have taken some photographs at the meeting?

I was driving the Silver DB4 (No. in the Aston and Intermarque race.

Regards, Phil.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I'll have a look at what I've taken for you.
Quote 0 0
rik2
Phil,
I have to say that was one hell of a drive in the championship race (i didn't see the other race ) i was watching from the pit wall because my car was damaged during practice for the inter-marc race and watching you come over the crest and towards the pit wall was fantastic, well done again.
Rik
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Phil
You have mail
Tim P
Quote 0 0
lml698
Thanks for the kind words Lordsoandso.  My DB 2/4  will be in a patched up state for Donnington and it looks like the damage was all to bodywork.  next year i hope the winter will have restored it to its former glory. I sadly learnt a bitter lesson about how slippy the wet grass can really be.  Glad you enjoyed the day more than i did!!!
Quote 0 0