John Purser
...is everything you hear about it - and more. Quite a show.

Adrian Beecroft won 'most elegant sportscar' with his DBR1.

The number and scale of Astons in the 'coachbuilt' class was wonderful - the 1954 Allemano 2/4 looks sensational in the metal.

Incidentally, a DB4GT made $1.5m in the RM auction.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
John, I know we can rely on you to take a few snaps for us!
Quote 0 0
Rogala
Here are some photos taken just seconds before Adrian drove up on the ramp to receive his award.

John...who is that handsome fellow standing on the left in the second photo ??    

How great is it to see the club badge displayed proudly on Adrian's car ??!!??   

BTW, I have several hundred digital photos of Astons at this event, but I need to figure out a good way to share them with everyone.  Any suggestions ??

-Rogala

P.S.  John, don't forget to visit Far Niente and Cakebread.  You need a reservation at Far Niente, but it is worth it for sure.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Good stuff Rogala, thanks. You can upload photos to somewhere like photobucket.com or start an album if you have an address with something like Yahoo or Hotmail.
Quote 0 0
usvantage
A great weekend indeed. I'll try to post a few pics once I sort through the 600 or so taken over the 4 days.

The only real negative was the complete lack of V8s and Virages at Pebble when AM is the featured marque. Every other era was represented but the organizers seemed to skip over 20 years. Shameful IMO and a real missed opportunity. How great would it have been to see an X-pack or a LeMans there! 50 years from now, one of those cars stands a better chance at winning Pebble than a DBS or DB7 (both represented).

At least mine was in the parking lot.
Quote 0 0
jhoneyball
wasnt roo there with one of his vantages? I thought he went to PB most years, what with being a west coast amoc rep or something?
Quote 0 0
usvantage
There were 4 Vantages, several V8s/V8Vs and at least one Virage in the parking lots and at Casa Munras which is exactly the point; with such devoted members/owners of these models there to pay tribute to, and participate in, the "featured marque" (one travelling 3000 miles), why not have a few great examples on display? Disappointing.

I guess they would have shown up the new V8 too much 
Quote 0 0
philmw
Quite.

As the featured mark I was very disappointed in Aston's presence. A run of cars at the concourse that included only one V8 and that was the Muncher.  No DBS, no V8, no Vantage, no Le Mans.  25 years of Aston Martin were removed.  There were a number of AMOC cars parked awkwardly on the hill; these only being requested to the day before!  No notice boards with information about the cars.  No indication of the lineage of the line.  Even a well-known-to-us photographer and biographer of Aston Martin who was given a media pass only found out several hours after about the launch of the (new) DBS.

Also no Vanquish.  I thought a 'special' last one (but not a UE) was due to be shipped.

Great to see Neil Murray and the Green Pea there though.
Quote 0 0
augkuo
I saw more of a range of current Aston Martins at the Monterey historic races than at Pebble Beach -

Quote 0 0
philmw
Yes, interdispersed with the pick-ups, the odd Kia, MB's, even a Bentley, and in no order, with no information.  Compare to the line-up of 23 Toyota GTs a little down the line.  Another great opportunity lost and a shame.
Quote 0 0
Rogala
I agree that the one HUGE disappointment for me was the lack of DBS and Newport Pagnell V8s at the Concours.

At least one did run in the Rally d'Elegance to Carmel on Thursday.  It was an "MC class" (whatever that meant) and was not shown at Pebble.  Here are the photos.
Quote 0 0
usvantage
We'll get our revenge in a decade or so when something like this appears at Pebble.

What's more likely to win? A low production, outlandish, sign-of-times, handbuilt super car:

or one of these:

*Photos courtesy of Tim Cottingham
Quote 0 0
TVJL
I'm not sure that that is a very wise question to pose.

Seriously though, it does seem that a great opportunity to showcase superb examples of the marque from each decade has been lost. I have to admit to being most surprised and disappointed. I'm no longer quite so sad at not having been able to attend myself as planned. :-\
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
Rogala wrote:

At least one did run in the Rally d'Elegance to Carmel on Thursday.  It was an "MC class" (whatever that meant) and was not shown at Pebble.  Here are the photos.

That's strange -- a fliptail with an open hood (bonnet) scoop.  Did they make any like that?
Quote 0 0
Rogala
cwallace1309 wrote:

Rogala wrote:

That's strange -- a fliptail with an open hood (bonnet) scoop.  Did they make any like that?

The fliptail looked integral to me on this car...but my memory might be fading due to over indulgence during the week.   

I generally agree that Pebble rewards "low production, outlandish, sign-of-times, handbuilt super cars"...ESPECIALLY those with racing histories...BUT, regarding the red late 80's car with the ground effects package (to paraphrase a well known Aston author): by the late 80s, the addition of all the extra plastic accouterments tended to make the car look a bit "tarty"   :-*

Give me a PoW as a future candidate for best-in-class...it has the low production, sign-of-times, handbuilt super car thing licked, and it does so without being outlandish...just EXTREMELY classy in every respect.
Quote 0 0
michaelniwot
Quote:

"I generally agree that Pebble rewards "low production, outlandish, sign-of-times, handbuilt super cars"...ESPECIALLY those with racing histories...BUT, regarding the red late 80's car with the ground effects package (to paraphrase a well known Aston author): by the late 80s, the addition of all the extra plastic accouterments tended to make the car look a bit "tarty"

Surely that's the point isn't it?. I saw any number of extraordinary body styles from the 1920s and 1930s entered in the concours, one of which won best-of-show. As with the 80s Vantage Volante, these cars were representative of what was in style at that time. We look at them now and marvel at their design.
Quote 0 0
Rogala
michaelniwot wrote:

Quote:

"I generally agree that Pebble rewards "low production, outlandish, sign-of-times, handbuilt super cars"...ESPECIALLY those with racing histories...BUT, regarding the red late 80's car with the ground effects package (to paraphrase a well known Aston author): by the late 80s, the addition of all the extra plastic accouterments tended to make the car look a bit "tarty"

Surely that's the point isn't it?. I saw any number of extraordinary body styles from the 1920s and 1930s entered in the concours, one of which won best-of-show. As with the 80s Vantage Volante, these cars were representative of what was in style at that time. We look at them now and marvel at their design.

Maybe it is the red that threw me...

The really odd thing is that YOUR Cumberland Grey version NEVER strikes me as "tarty"...even though it has the ground effects package in place.  Something about your color combo just creates a pure sense of class. 

IMHO: On the red car, the bright red blanked off grill just does not look as clean as a darker grille blanking would (like your own grill blank)...the bright red reminds me of the Porsche guys in the 80s who would color their wheel centers to match the paint job on the car....never seemed quite right somehow to me then or now.
Quote 0 0
Rogala
cwallace1309 wrote:

Rogala wrote:

I looked at a blow up of my photo again, and I can see that the tail is integral.  Very odd with the open scoop.

Perhaps he had one of the scoops which which were blanked off by a bolted in piece as opposed to a welded piece ??  Or he added the Vantage air dam to a non Vantage car ??

I wonder if Tim Cottingham has any info ??

The owner was listed as "James W. Taylor".  The car is listed as "1976 Series III V8 Coupe".
Quote 0 0
tim_c
I've had a quick look in the members list and founf a J Taylor of NJ who has a V8 S3 - not a Vantage.

So, if it is the same guy - the car appears to have been 'Vantagerised'

Anyone get the chassis number?
Quote 0 0
Damen
Just back from the US during which I managed to fit in the Pebble Beach weekend.  I have now been a number of times and it never disappoints. 

The Aston line up, both pre and post war was truly excellent.  Whoever was responsible deserves a very large "thank you"; 4 zagato bodied DB4 GTs (another was present at Laguna Seca on the Saturday) was a sight to behold.

Remember, Pebble Beach is about "elegance" and that's why the V8/V Cars were not present in the road car line up!!!!  However, the Muncher was there for the post war race car line up.

Damen
Quote 0 0
tim_c
Damen wrote:

Remember, Pebble Beach is about "elegance" and that's why the V8/V Cars were not present in the road car line up!!!! 

That's fighting talk...............................outside for a quiet word 

Now you have to be bombarded with some of the more elegant V8's

And, I've saved the best until last

Quote 0 0
Rogala
tim_c wrote:

Damen wrote:

Remember, Pebble Beach is about "elegance" and that's why the V8/V Cars were not present in the road car line up!!!! 

That's fighting talk...............................outside for a quiet word 

Now you have to be bombarded with some of the more elegant V8's

Great Job Tim !!!! 

The early V8 cars were completely ignored by the Pebble selection committee.  A total of 1 made it to Sunday (the Muncher) plus 1 was included in the rally (the aforementioned Vatage-ised Series .

Let's try to approach this quantitatively not emotionally.  At the risk (or is it the hope ??) of starting a debate, I want to make the case that:

The 2007 Pebble Beach show should have displayed both early Astons prior to the DB era PLUS examples of all those cars which had DB "DNA".

I saw 3 or maybe maximum 4 early Astons (pre DB).  Fair enough.

Regarding the DB era, no argument from me that:

the 4 Zagatos had to be there,
  so did the "one off" bodied cars from Bertone, etc.
  as well as the 50's race cars,
  one or two DBs of each type from the 2 through the 6  should be present.

I would, however, make the case that Pebble paid too much attention to category 4 at the expense of a good DBS and a good AMV8 Vantage.  How about 1 or 2 less DB4s and DB5s, and lets see some of the EIGHTS (those in the 30 years+ category at the very least) ?? 

The early eights CLEARLY had DB "DNA" and a featured Marque should get a bit of latitude to show more of the retro line...no ??

Quote 0 0
tim_c
I would have lost the DB7 Zag and styling buck - the 7 Zag is very rare in the US agreed and the wooden buck was interesting for AM anoraks like me, but neither worthy of the space.

A picture for those not there

Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Damen wrote:

Remember, Pebble Beach is about "elegance" and that's why the V8/V Cars were not present in the road car line up!!!!  However, the Muncher was there for the post war race car line up. 

So, you're claiming the V8 cars lack elegance?
Quote 0 0
philmw
I feel an excuse coming on:

Quote 0 0