geofro
I have always wanted to go to Pebble Beach (16th to 19th August) so read with interest the piece in AM News. Aston are a featured Marque for 07, so this must be a good year to go.

I've been in contact with HQ to register an interest, and this is the story...

Its not an official trip, but AMOC US West are co-ordinating some events that all AMOC members are welcome to join, including dinner at the Monterey Aquarium and Laguna Seca racing on the Saturday.

You will need to book your own flights and hotels.
The Hotel Casa Munras has been used by the Club for years, is good value and recommended.
Depending on numbers, the club may try and get a 'block booking' of tickets for Pebble Beach Concours itself.

With the current dollar rate the prices seem pretty reasonable so I'm going to start making enquiries.
Be great to tie up with anyone else who's planning to make the trip, perhaps share a hire car etc.
(No I'm not entering my car or shipping it out there)

Geoff

Quote 0 0
TVJL
Geoff, I have been contemplating going this year. In this regard, I have been encouraged both by AMOC friends in California and at least one other Area 00 bod, who told me over lunch last week that he and a mate are going to go this year.

It sounds like we may have the beginnings of a forum get together way out West. ;D
Quote 0 0
geofro
Ok Cool, I'm going to look at flight options later this week and will contact the hotel re availability. Will update the thread accordingly.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Surely the only reason to go to Pebble Beach is to play golf!
Quote 0 0
jockpercy
or buy a car
Quote 0 0
Colin Gurnsey
Book now, give yourself time to play a round on the 15th then check the Polo Field to see whats arrived.  When I showed my Lagonda, a couple of pre-production concept cars for display were unloaded next to me.  The 'tour' goes on the thursday with a start about 9:00am from the Polo Field with Lunch in Carmel.  The big deal at Carmel was the parking of all participating cars together allowing public viewing then the start from Carmel after lunch where the cars could be viewed underway.  An announcer commented on each car as it passed a sort of reviewing stand.

One of the many Pebble Beach experiences is the car fever in Monterey.  Stand on any street corner and myriad exotics one only breads about passes by.  Then theres the Historics at Laguna Seca on Saturday, The Italiano whatevers and of course the auctions everywhere.  So book early if you want to stay close to Monterey or with friends.
Colin
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
You won't regret going.  I have been several times, and it still doesn't disappoint.

"Monterey Weekend" is now almost a week, and some of the best events are on the Thursday and Friday.  The difficulty is that you have to pick and choose -- there is overlap between events and no way to do everything.  For instance, "The Quail -- A Motorsports Gathering" clashes with "Concorso Italiano".  I can't imagine doing justice to both of them in one day, so you have to make some hard choices.  Here is a list of the major events:

http://www.montereyinfo.org/page/77604/;jsessionid=tl032twgtktr

Everyone has their favourites, but I recommend catching the Pebble Beach Tour at the lunch stop in Carmel on the Thursday (you get to see, hear and smell the Pebble Beach cars, and their owners, up close and personal), the track (which is good any day, but Saturday seems to be the main event) and Concorso Italiano (there is even a fashion show for the wife; you will probably like the models...).  And of course, the main event on Sunday -- Pebble Beach.

As for golf -- that is one of Monterey Week's best kept secrets.  The course is normally booked solid because guests at "The Lodge" get first choice.  But during Monterey Week, the Lodge is full of car people too busy to golf.  You can get on as a standby with relative ease -- without paying the price to stay at the Lodge.  But please keep this quiet.
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
You beat me to the post Colin.  Great minds think alike, obviously.
Quote 0 0
rik2
geofro wrote:

I have always wanted to go to Pebble Beach (16th to 19th August) so read with interest the piece in AM News. Aston are a featured Marque for 07, so this must be a good year to go.

I've been in contact with HQ to register an interest, and this is the story...

Its not an official trip, but AMOC US West are co-ordinating some events that all AMOC members are welcome to join, including dinner at the Monterey Aquarium and Laguna Seca racing on the Saturday.

You will need to book your own flights and hotels.
The Hotel Casa Munras has been used by the Club for years, is good value and recommended.
Depending on numbers, the club may try and get a 'block booking' of tickets for Pebble Beach Concours itself.

With the current dollar rate the prices seem pretty reasonable so I'm going to start making enquiries.
Be great to tie up with anyone else who's planning to make the trip, perhaps share a hire car etc.
(No I'm not entering my car or shipping it out there)

Geoff

Geof,
I did this trip back in 1997 when astons put on a big display of racing cars, it was a great two weeks a real petrol heads feast, remember nowadays you can hire a "Rent-a-racer" the hertz mustangs, now that could  be fun.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Yes keep this thread updated please, it's too early for me to commit but it's something I've been thinking of for a long time.
Quote 0 0
williamp
Hmmm. I've been thinking about it too, but I must admit I didnt realise Pebble beach was part of Monterey week.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
quote] Geof,
I did this trip back in 1997 when astons put on a big display of racing cars, it was a great two weeks a real petrol heads feast, remember nowadays you can hire a "Rent-a-racer" the hertz mustangs, now that could  be fun.

When in Florida two years ago pre-booked a Mustang convertable for a few days. Got to the Hertz desk to be given the keys to a Toyota Sunseeker!! All the Mustangs had been given out already. Not a happy bunny!
Quote 0 0
geofro
Thanks for all the tips, keep em coming.
There was a review of the new Hertz Mustang in Octane this month - definitely on the shopping list!
Sadly I don't play golf, so thats one treat I'll miss out on, but I don't think I'll be twiddling thumbs.
Quote 0 0
philmw
Had a few GT-Hs recently - lots of flash and all the trimings.  It's just missing a few horses, and you can't turn the T/C off.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
geofro wrote:

Sadly I don't play golf, so thats one treat I'll miss out on, but I don't think I'll be twiddling thumbs.

There are a LOT of vineyards within easy travelling distance....
Quote 0 0
geofro
I contacted Casa Munras, and they are FULL already for Pebble Beach weekend, but that may be because the club have made a block booking. Unfortunately the girl on the desk didn't know, so I'm e-mailing the club contact Larry for clarification.
Flights are plentiful. The best looks like UA, with a stopover in SF. You leave a 10am and arrive at 3.30pm. On the way back its leave monday at 10am arrive tuesday at 07.10.

Rough itinerary and costs are:
Flights £750 (economy).
Hotel 5 nights £611 (room only)
Car Hire - SHELBY MUSTANG :-) £506
Thusday - AMOC Drinks
Friday - The Quail inc lunch - £101
Friday Night - AMOC Dinner - £50
Saturday - Laguna Seca inc lunch - £51
Sunday - Pebble Beach - £76

Around £2145 plus the petrol for your petrolhead!
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
I believe most Hertz locations have only one or two Shelbys.  Hertz (and Ford) will probably try to get as many as possible to that area for Monterey Week, but it is a very busy week.  But if you are Hertz No. 1 Gold, and you book now, you might have a chance of getting one.

You should also budget for the RM auction at the Portola Plazza Hotel on Friday and Saturday nights.
Quote 0 0
augkuo
Most places in Monterey are already booked up for the week so if you'd rather not stay at Casa Munras here are some other alternatives-

Captain's Inn at Moss Landing (north of Laguna Seca/Seaside/Monterey) - http://www.captainsinn.com/ (staying here this year)

Chaminade in Santa Cruz (1 hour north) - http://www.chaminade.com/ (stayed here last year)

They're a bit farther but at least the accomodations will be better and parking a lot easier!

Augie
Quote 0 0
Colin Gurnsey
If one reallys want to drive and has access to a pre-war Aston, a tour starting in Kirkland Washington - ending at Pebble Beach is being organized by Al McKeown.  He has done this for the past three years.  It begins at Club 200 ( a private members club for Seattle petrol heads  where rare autos are stored).  Peter Hageman has his used Bentley showroom next door.  I attended a kickoff wine and cheesey doo there last year and spent most of my time drooling.
Colin
Quote 0 0
PRanucci
We've gone for the past few years. I'd reccomend the Pebble Beach tour Thursday in Carmel and the Quaill Friday. Unless they've fixed the parking at Concorso, avoid it, it was a nightmare, that's why we started going to Quaill. Be aware that the parking in Carmel for the tour is atrocious, so arrive early.
Since the featured marque at the Historics will be Indy Roadsters, I don't think it'll be too crowded. The Ferrari years are totally jammed.Rooms are tight, but in July a lot of the blocks that various clubs hold start hitting the market.
Since Aston is to be featured at Pebble Beach, will they allow members to park closer to the Lodge so we don't have to use the shuttles? BTW Pacific Grove has its own Concours on Saturday and Carmel is having one on the 14th.
Dinner at the Monterey Aquarium would be nice, Fandango is getting too cramped because  lots of members are showing up.
It is a gearhead carnival, and surrounded by mind-boggling scenery.
Quote 0 0
rik2
The other place that i found mind boggling was (i think this is the name) stone pine lodge it was here that we had a gathering of around 50 Astons for a bar-be set in the grounds of what seemed like a horse racing/breeding stables, the drive way up to the lodge must have been over a mile long twisting through some amazing grounds, some people actually stayed in the lodge throughout the Monterrey week fortunately for us FORDs paid for the event which i must say is still one of the best i have ever attended.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Rikki, is this it? ;D

http://www.stonepinecalifornia.com/index1.html
Quote 0 0
geofro
Larry from AMOC US has been in touch and is negotiating a block of rooms with Casa Munras at present, so should have some news on that soon.
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Super stuff, Geof. Well done on all this.
Quote 0 0
geofro
Ok, Larry Davis has come back to confirm that he's nogotiating 45 rooms at Casa Munras and anticipates having some available for overseas members.
He also books the Historic races (with lunch) in May and has sent me the booking form, and links to Pebble Beach http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net and Concourso Italiano http://www.concorso.com/.
So far hes only heard from one other member from the article in AM News, so it may be an idea to drop him a line if you're interested in going LarryDavis@cox.net
I'm definately going so will make my bookings this month, and happy to tie up with any other members with similar plans.
Geoff
Quote 0 0