John Purser

I've trailed this  in AMNews - now it's open to enter for a great day out at the home of motoring (as well as aviation) in Britain. Judging is based on a high standard of preparation, but with 20% of marks based on the Spirit of Brooklands.
When the Double Twelve weekend was promoted in period (as a race) the racing cars often did not have paint ! However, the "right crowd and no crowding' who came as spectators (including Lionel and Kate Martin) would have attended in their latest car. When the Double Twelve was revived, it was to combine sprinting on Saturday with showing on Sunday and the sort of cars which would have been approved in the post war period (now up to 1999) will be welcome. 
There is just so much to see at Brooklands - cars, motorbikes, bicycles, buses - and  aeroplanes !

Pride of Brooklands Concours

Part of the Brooklands Double Twelve Weekend

Sunday 16th June, from 9.00 am. Prize presentation 3.00 pm

Classes for all cars made up to 1999, with a 25th celebration class for all DB7s.

Entry fee £20 which includes all day refreshments for two

To enter,

The Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival, c/o Vintage Sports-Car Club,

There is a list of classes and an entry form on the VSCC website

https://www.vscc.co.uk/events/event/1401/brooklands-concours

(ignore the references to Saturday – this is a Sunday event.)

Tel : 01608 644777 Extn 4 or   andrew.tarring@vscc.co.uk

Entries will be accepted up to 12 noon on 7th June,

Any help needed, you can always contact me

john.purser@btconnect.com

Quote 1 0
DrDavidB
See you there JP.

As a previous winner and having entered every D12 since it’s revival, I can vouch for everything JP says. It’s a great event. However, there’s so much to see that I recommend making a weekend of it if you’ve time.

David
Quote 0 0
Flashcat
Looking at the entry form looks like there is no class for a DB 6 or similar, or have I misinterpreted?

Cliff
Quote 0 0
DrDavidB
Class B - Grand Tour Post War?
Quote 0 0
DrDavidB
And if you also fancy the driving tests:

Class 8 -Post-war Long Wheelbase Sports Cars up to 2019 (over 8’)

https://www.vsccmembers.co.uk/servlet/blankEntryFormGeneratorServlet?eventID=1402
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Cliff, and everyone - although the Double Twelve was in theory to attract cars up to 1939, the emphasis for the Concours has been more and more on later cars. So if you enter in a DB6, it will fit nicely in Grand Tour, post war. Ian Barclay's DB4 may be there, has been a 'regular'.
The more the merrier.

Quote 0 0
John Purser
Ian's DB4 will be, but not entered this year.
Others' chance to shine....(pun intended)
Quote 0 0
Flashcat
John,David,

Thanks for the info. Interestingly when I clicked on the link the second time I logged on to the correct page, (the first time was totally different)!

Saturday we are at Wings and Wheels, Dunsfold and are told this will be the last one as it has been sold for development, Sunday we will be at Brooklands with no doubt a dirty DB6 from the previous days outing.

Look forward to meeting and catching up.

Cliff
Quote 0 0
John Purser
no doubt a dirty DB6 from the previous days outing.

Brooklands Concours d'Elegance judges will take account of the historic significance of the dirt, although may measure thickness and use geological evidence when assessing the car......
Take it that the 'judgements ' offered are not at all frivolous, the winner will have earned his trophy.
Brooklands also offers the chance to meet ultra rare cars and owners.
C'mon everybody!

Quote 0 0
John Purser
I hadn't mentioned the Wings and Wheels clash, which Dunsfold has moved to earlier in the year, presumably because the builders want to move in soon. Since it seems the Saturday and Sunday of W &W are the same programme both days, perfectly feasible to go there on Saturday, then Brooklands on Sunday (they are barely 20 miles apart) and on Monday open a letter from a 'Relate' councillor, maybe ? 'I couldn't possibly comment.' 
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Good reaction to this post, do come along and join in whether in the DB7 class or anything made in the last century.
Quote 1 0
John Purser
Please bear in mind that the closing date on the VSCC website is incorrect - noon on Friday 7th June is the deadline.
I shall also be at Brands on the 8th should there be any spare spaces in the DB7 Class.
And any other Classes, for that matter !
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Sad to say, the DB7 Celebration turnout has been very low - if anyone sees this over the weekend, they can try a late entry but it's not guaranteed to be accepted.
Quote 0 0
DrDavidB
John Purser wrote:
Sad to say, the DB7 Celebration turnout has been very low - if anyone sees this over the weekend, they can try a late entry but it's not guaranteed to be accepted.

Yes, a bit disappointing.

Only one Aston in the driving tests and 4 in concours. However, the quality of the other cars participating is fantastic and Sunday 16th June will be a fabulous day to visit.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Sad to say the low turnout matches that for Aston Martins at Brands - but there are a couple of Ulsters and the very rapid 15/98.
Quote 0 0
Flashcat
That is a poor turnout, at least we will be at Brooklands on Sunday, do you know if the Astons will be parked together?

Cliff
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Visitors park on The Heights (the weekday car park for the office buildings). Only entries can park within the track / museum area. Brooklands' own weekday car park is beside the MB World area and not easily accessed on busy weeknds.
Without a big demand for entries, I can't demand a dedicated car park.......
Quote 0 0
Flashcat
Worth checking and asking for a dedicated area, possibly speak to Steve Castle.

You seem to know Brooklands very well John are you local to the museum? Alternatively arrive early, might be worth asking if parking is available around the Jackson Shed area or perhaps outside the Concorde simulator rather than up the banking. Just a thought.

Cliff
Quote 0 0
John Purser
I've been helping with this particular event since it started (with Steve Castle) and the space inside the Track is all allocated for the classes doing driving tests and the Concours. We're already working on next year and how to arrange everything better. One problem is that if one group get preferential treatment, every other group demands it.
BR
Quote 0 0
John Purser
A good day out : we managed to wash everyone's car with rainwater before we'd even started judging...........

Mark Rolfe won the DB7 Anniversary class AND the Best Dressed Driver prize
Michael Urban's DB6 Volante won his class, the most popular one to enter (Cars that might have raced at Brooklands 1945- 2019)
David Bracey's Mark II won his prewar class.
and
a Lagonda LG 45 was Best of the Best and therefore 'Pride of Brooklands.'

Lots of members there and nice to put faces to Forum names eg Flashcat who was very closely behind in the points.
Quote 1 0
Mark Rolfe
Thanks John for a great event, good fun and nice to have won the DB7 class, my early Vantage vs an Early i6 was interesting and hopefully for the judges too.

Getting the best dressed driver award was a bonus, especially after all of Keith the commentator’s fun banter. Good to meet the other Aston owners too.
Quote 0 0