MPD
Dear All

Here are the final results for the Concours at Blenheim Palace on Sunday.

I hope you enjoyed the day.

Mark
Quote 0 0
db7 boy
Hi Mark,

Very many thanks for all your and all the other judges hard work on the Concours, without whom the event would not happen  - a great day out and very speedy publication of the results for us all to ponder over!

Mike
Quote 0 0
steven
Congratulations to those that entered the concours.
I am curious of the opinions of others as to whether cars that have been restored to within an inch of their lives should be entered under another category for concours.
Quote 0 0
philmw
Why should they?  They are no less or more deserving.  I think the current class structure is pretty good (can't remember where the Vanquish fits), and the recent change to not allow cars less than 3 years old to be promoted to the Elite class is a good one.

It would be great (for me at least) if there were some automatic modifier of the points for mileage covered in the last year, say, but this would be very difficult to prescribe and weight. 

One suggestion I would like to be considered is that for previous class winners to be ranked separately so there could be two winners in a class; the top ranked and the top ranked non-previous winner.
Quote 0 0
steven
philmw wrote:

Why should they?  They are no less or more deserving.  I think the current class structure is pretty good (can't remember where the Vanquish fits), and the recent change to not allow cars less than 3 years old to be promoted to the Elite class is a good one.

It would be great (for me at least) if there were some automatic modifier of the points for mileage covered in the last year, say, but this would be very difficult to prescribe and weight. 

One suggestion I would like to be considered is that for previous class winners to be ranked separately so there could be two winners in a class; the top ranked and the top ranked non-previous winner.
Well to state the bleedin obvious.
I think there is a lot of difference when judging a car that has sympathetically been kept up to scratch with another that has just had £100,000 spent on it being restored by a third party.
Quote 0 0
philmw
But what if someone paid £150,000 for the car in the first place; is that more or less worthy than a £50k car with £100k spent on it?  Is there a difference between someone who owns a garage with lifts, parts, resource and time and someone who doesn't?  Where do you draw the line?
Quote 0 0
gareth
I can see both viewpoints, and perhaps its more about an owner correctly choosing and entering a class and the club actively "policing" those cars entered and moving them if necessary - for example I expect some would be a bit "miffed" at a freshly restored-to-better-than-new car entering the pride of ownership  ( not withstanding that said owner would be proud etc) .
I do feel that  too much emphasis is given to the "Pebble beach" type cars, and get a bit peeved when I see a silver convertible being loaded into its covered transport only 3 miles from the venue,as I did on Sunday on the way home..........
Quote 0 0
gareth111
Thanks Mark, and all those who helped organise a great event.

This was my first concourse event and I'm dead chuffed to have finished 6th in the POO class. May be I'll try a little harder next time.

I would like to know how my points were worked out though, what was good, what was bad, what I need to attend to most.

Thanks again, very well organised.
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Firstly thanks to Mark and the team for arranging an outstanding day at Blenheim it was an absolute Aston'fest. And it has to be said, I don't know how you kept your cool in that heat especially Mark in his suit and tie!

Regarding the secondary point being discussed here, I will happily admit I chickened out of entering my car so perhaps I should not comment but because I own a DB MkIII my interest is primarily in the Feltham class, although the cars in are classes were excellent. My understanding is that the event is a concours d'etat as opposed to a concours d'elegance so originality is key. With older cars one often sees the interior entirely re-trimmed in modern leather which has a totally different texture to the leather used in 1950's cars, it is softer and has a matt finish, however if a cars interior is in totally rotten it has to be replaced. Although I prefer to see a car with it's original leather sympathetically renovated if it's beyond repair is it correct to score a car down because of this? As long as it's been done in the correct style as the original I suppose not. It's an interesting point because the car that won the Feltham class was clearly a recent ground-up restoration as was the winner of the same class at Rousham last year. 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
philmw
Rich5ltr wrote:
My understanding is that the event is a concours d'etat as opposed to a concours d'elegance so originality is key. With older cars one often sees the interior entirely re-trimmed in modern leather which has a totally different texture to the leather used in 1950's cars, it is softer and has a matt finish, however if a cars interior is in totally rotten it has to be replaced. Although I prefer to see a car with it's original leather sympathetically renovated if it's beyond repair is it correct to score a car down because of this? As long as it's been done in the correct style as the original I suppose not. It's an interesting point because the car that won the Feltham class was clearly a recent ground-up restoration as was the winner of the same class at Rousham last year. 
If you can tell it cannot be original then I think it should lose points; the amount related to circumstance, but should lose some.  I had gone to great lengths to find a can of tyre foam of the correct labelling for the year and a sat nav disk dated 1999/2000, only to forget to clean the inside of the exhaust pipe!    (there again, I'm sure the exhaust wasn't clean inside when the car was delivered).
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I presume the can of foam wouldn't have been much use in the event of a puncture Phil. It would have been out of date!
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
dunno what you are all moaning about , considering where i was parked in the elite section , i got marked down for dust!!!! on my front wing!!!
beggers belief......but it was still a fantastic day and congratulations to everyone involved , i for one will keep entering my 5 yr old car with the best part of 50k on the clock , and used on a daily basis.......because i enjoy it..!!....and you get a better parking space... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0
MPD
Many thanks to you all for your kind words, I am pleased the day was enjoyed by all. 

The age old argument of originality against complete renovation will continue to be a subject of contention for as long as there is petrol.

As you may be aware, the judging panel meet up at the barn once a year to discuss the future of concours and how it can be improved.  If you would like to have an input to this, may I suggest you drop me a formal line, by post or mail, so that I may include your points in the discussions.
Quote 0 0
michaelniwot
tony-hall-40 wrote:

dunno what you are all moaning about , considering where i was parked in the elite section , i got marked down for dust!!!! on my front wing!!!
beggers belief......but it was still a fantastic day and congratulations to everyone involved , i for one will keep entering my 5 yr old car with the best part of 50k on the clock , and used on a daily basis.......because i enjoy it..!!....and you get a better parking space... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Will that mean yet more photos?
Quote 0 0
RCVantage
Rich5ltr wrote:

Firstly thanks to Mark and the team for arranging an outstanding day at Blenheim it was an absolute Aston'fest. And it has to be said, I don't know how you kept your cool in that heat especially Mark in his suit and tie!

Regarding the secondary point being discussed here, I will happily admit I chickened out of entering my car so perhaps I should not comment but because I own a DB MkIII my interest is primarily in the Feltham class, although the cars in are classes were excellent. My understanding is that the event is a concours d'etat as opposed to a concours d'elegance so originality is key. With older cars one often sees the interior entirely re-trimmed in modern leather which has a totally different texture to the leather used in 1950's cars, it is softer and has a matt finish, however if a cars interior is in totally rotten it has to be replaced. Although I prefer to see a car with it's original leather sympathetically renovated if it's beyond repair is it correct to score a car down because of this? As long as it's been done in the correct style as the original I suppose not. It's an interesting point because the car that won the Feltham class was clearly a recent ground-up restoration as was the winner of the same class at Rousham last year. 
Richard,

Although I can't comment on this years Feltham's (I judged a different class at Blenheim), I can comment on Rousham as I judged that class of 2 cars.

The restored car scored very low on originality but fairly high on cleanliness & condition, the other car scored next to nothing for cleanliness and only moderately for originality & condition as it had been added to and "cutomised" by owners over the years but never restored.

I have no issue with resoration's if done sympatheically but owners must be aware that if they enter them for D'etat competition they will inevitably loose points against a well kept original vehicle, but a highly original vehicle is pointless if it is not in good condition and exceptionally clean.

RC
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
michaelniwot wrote:

Will that mean yet more photos?
yes......
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0
vanquish spirit
It was also my first real concours and I really enjoyed the day.  Thanks to all those who organised it and made it what it was. 
Quote 0 0
Russell
it was absolutely spiffing.
although i did think the cornet in my cornetto was like chewing on a FedEx box.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0