lml698
There should be a cavalcade of Aston stuff to drool over at the Silverstone Classic 4 day event in July ( 27 - 30 th July) . Aston a Martin are the featured marque celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the DBR1. There will be all sorts of DBR9 Prodrive action with demonstrations etc. etc. There will be A Historic Aston race on Saturday and hopefully some AMOC presence and the AMHT.
They are also organising a series of "runs " to arrive at the circuit on the Saturday which people can apply for.  More info on  http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/news/default.asp
Should be very very good and only £15 entry to everywhere.
Quote 0 0
williamp
what is the club doing abougt it? the first I heard about it was in my silkverstone race calender, and that said "Aston martin the featured marque".

Will there be display parking for members? or even parking in the middle? Track parade? i have heard nothing until now. Does anyone know?
Quote 0 0
Geoff_V8
Nope I've not heard anything,  but the £7.5k given to ERL would have paid for a good event at Silverstone I would have thought.....

I'll be there anyway, and probably do the Retrorun that runs on the Saturday morning, and gives 2 or 3 laps of the GP circuit on Sunday morning.

Geoff
Quote 0 0
lml698
Ok Chaps having stated this link I have now had the organisers asking me if AMOC wants a stand for club members in the inner ring area etc. This is free. So we can parade the best cars in front of the other marques !!!  Then the  Prodrive Racing boys will be doing demonstation stuff with the Le mans DBR9's and there is a Pre-1960 Historic Aston Race.  There are also options for road runs to the Circuit and Parade laps for those who participate.
Seems like a must for area  00  and other Forum readers!!!
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Count me in!
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Count me in for the Sunday.
Quote 0 0
lml698
OK the Silverstone website has now gone live on this event.
http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/event_details.htm

There is loads of Aston stuff happening and Saturday looks like the best of them.  So far sadly there has been no input from AMOC  - all the other car clubs  have booked in it seems
There is free space available for AMOC if they want it !!!!  There is also a retro run for pre-1986 cars i think .  details on the website and also in the next newsheet.
The special Aston race should have 48 Astons in it !!!!
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
I have a holiday around then (wife knows the dates) but I think I ought to be there with the DBR2 and/or the DB9.
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
lml698 wrote:

OK the Silverstone website has now gone live on this event.
http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/event_details.htm

There is loads of Aston stuff happening and Saturday looks like the best of them.  So far sadly there has been no input from AMOC  - all the other car clubs  have booked in it seems
There is free space available for AMOC if they want it !!!!   There is also a retro run for pre-1986 cars i think .  details on the website and also in the next newsheet.
The special Aston race should have 48 Astons in it !!!!

Count me in for Saturday,
Who is responsible for booking in the AMOC?
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Sorry to be a bit late explaining this. :-[

The sequence was that Comps had done the juggling of race dates and Social had put in place their events to not clash with them (and all the other things going on in the summer) - then we read in the Press that Aston Martin was the featured Marque at this weekend. Unfortunately, we were by then committed to Goodwood the weekend before and Loton Park on Sunday 30th.
Certainly we would like the Club to do something - putting the cart before the horse(power), what would you like ? Saturday is the main day with the race that has been arranged, but it should probably be arranged as a two day event.

We can as a Club book the Inner Ring space, arrange passes etc, liaise with the organisers for a parade lap. Possibly part of the Club shop could be there. AMHT should be able to bring a car. What else would you like ?

And now the gentle 'bite' - is there a group of you who could help a bit - the amount depending on how much is to be organised ? Would one of you (LML698, your Club needs YOU....)  like to coordinate it, in the Club Calendar as well as this column. And take pictures/create an article for the AMQ, of course.

Years ago, Coys held a similar weekend and the Club had penty of time to plan the display of 20 or so cars that Keith Piper and a gang of helpers arranged in a marquee. Even the Queen lent a car, the 1/4 scale 'James Bond' car presented to Prince Andrew by the Works. People like Carroll Shelby, Roy Salvadori and Tony Brooks came by and it was a great success - weather like the Sahara helped.

We may not be able to quite replicate that this year but if you'd like to help, can you as a first step register/book at the Club Office with  Audrey Carter, the events organiser who is on pr@amoc.org

Although I'm just helping out, if you do want to contact me about this -
international@amoc.org will find me, or I will be around part of the weekend on 01787 377060 (or at work next week, 01787 248
John Purser

Quote 0 0
TVJL
I had hoped to be there with the DB 3 litre Lag (and, indeed, the Lagonda Club had asked me to display the car) but, as the great man said "events, dear boy, events" got in the way.

But, I would be pleased to help AMOC / AMHT in any way that I can, although I think that Tim C (if available) would be my snapper of choice. I will register my interest at HQ.
Quote 0 0
lml698
Ok.  having started this thread I should respond to some inputs. I have already organised the "special Aston Race' which as I said should have 48 Aston's in it including at least 3 DBR1's and hopefully 6 DB3S's.  We should have one of every sort of pre-1960 Aston apart from some of the 1920's models. I  will be racing at the event so can't dedicate all my time. I am going to a meeting at Silverstone to help organise the paddock and will lobby for space for AMOC and the AMHT to be near all the racing Aston's. However I suspect we will need some  helpers to sell club stuff and get new members and generally enthuse. I hope we can get free passes for those who help out. I suggest this is organised through Audrey as John P suggests. I also hope lots of non racing club members come along and enjoy themselves and put on a good Aston turnout or take part in the retro-run and other events.
See you all there.
Quote 0 0
lml698
Sorry to be rather dominating this thread but as I get more info on this event I might as well pass it on.
They are expecting some 50,000 people to attend. They have set aside a HUGE area for Aston parking. There will be space for the AMOC tent and the AMHT with static displays etc. AML are also coming along with displays and important Aston's from the last 50 or so years. The DBR9 racing team WILL be there putting on pit stop displays and other racing activities  on parts of the inner circuit. Thee will also be a DBR1 - DBR9 racing challenge each lunchtime as well as all the usual stuff ( hot air ballons, 50+ other club displays stands etc.  Trade stands etc. etc.  There will be 22 races plus practices over the 3 days. There will celebrity autograph sessions and drivers ( Derek Bell etc.)  The races run from The special Aston races through historic Sports and Saloon cars , 750 cc bikes, Pre 1980 F1, F2, F3 cars,  Group C cars, Pre 1966 F1 cars, Orwel supersports, and invitation F1 cars along with the Grand Prixmasters.
There is also the "Classic Ball" on Saturday in the "Farm Gardens" at the track. This is booking 35 tables of 10 at £89 per head. booking ( 01327 .
Prior booking is £15 for the 3 days and gets open access to everywhere.  There is a Friday Bonhams "Historic Car Auction"  and the "Retrorun " from the 4 start points to the circuit and parade laps around the full track.
All this info plus more on the previously refreferred website.  I understand the AMOC are now committed to getting loads of Aston's go ( into the special inner circuit display areas) presumably by booking in through the club.
Hope you can all make it.
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
All this sounds VERY exciting,Do you know where the 4 retrorun start points are?
I will be attending on Saturday from Area 13
Quote 0 0
Geoff_V8
From the press release....

The Silverstone Classic RetroRun will be open to any pre-1986 road car, with owners given the option to start their drive to the circuit from any of four official starting points; the Aston Martin Works factory in Newport Pagnell (open to all makes of car, not just Aston Martins), Brooklands, Rutland Water and the village of Silverstone itself.

Entry to the RetroRun costs just £90 per car, and comes with a phenomenal package that includes two three day event tickets for the 2006 Silverstone Classic (28-30 July), valued on their own at £80, and the opportunity to take part in two parade laps around Silverstone’s world famous Grand Prix circuit on the Sunday morning of the event (including driver, passenger and any extra passengers). Participants will also be able to enjoy breakfast at their chosen starting point, a pre-arranged coffee stop en route, a rally plaque for each car; road book with a detailed route guide, access, on arrival, to the designated RetroRun parking zone located in the middle of the circuit, plus a four month subscription to Classic & Sports Car magazine.

Geoff
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
What plan is there, if any, ie dedicated Aston parking, for those just turning up  on the Sunday morning? Or should i direct this at AMOC HQ?

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
Webby
There will be AMOC parking as described in the Calnedar entry. AS it says there, currently you need to call Club HQ for details. http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option=com_extcalendar&Itemid=271&extmode=view&extid=206
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
This is shaping up to be something special. Are there any other good races on the day? F1 TGP Championship etc.? The site doesn't want to support my Mac. What happens for those touring in who wish to peel off and join the Aston parking?
Quote 0 0
Webby
The link was broken in our calendar entry as it was entered wrongly, it works now.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Not your link Webby, but the site itself - I can't get the race programme, it's displaying that special form of 'Mac menu dyslexia', now helpfully circumvented by a kind message from Geoff.
Quote 0 0
Webby
The race link simply says '2006 Information to follow'. Macs do have problems with javascript if you're using Safari. Not sure why, I'd have thought Apple would be tanked up on java myself...
Quote 0 0
lml698
This link opens up the full race programme :  http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/timetable.asp.  I use a Mac and use Netscape as my Browser, which all seems to work fine. If you email me I can send out the programme to you ( assuming you are still struggling). I can also send out the retro Run application form. ( mark@geode.uk.com)
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Roughly a month to go to this .
Mark Campbell has got a great line-up of cars for the Aston Martin race on Saturday 29th.
The Club has organised (with the Trust) a dedicated car park into which you can drive after taking part in one of the organised runs (or not, as you wish), the Club shop and a Club "Visitor Centre" are arranged, Tim Ludbrook has volunteered to help.
Now all we need is a fine day and an indication of the numbers likely to attend so that we reserve enough parking.

Can you please post if you plan to attend ? And also if you could lend an hour to help with the shop ?

(The car park area will be available for those attending on Friday and Sunday, but because of this unfortunate clash with our own meeting at Loton, there won't be the same presence as on Saturday.)
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
It's in my diary. Looking forward to it.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I've had an e-mail from Audrey saying that lunch is available in the BRDC for a price for anyone who wants it. Unfortunately I'm at a wedding (my one and only time in a morning suite i suspect). Martin
Quote 0 0