johnslynch Show full post »
Lord Rowley
Back, sack & crack Mr Mayor ?
(You know it makes sense 😉)
Quote 0 0
Anne
Planning on attending the Area 13 pre visit breakfast and joining the convoy to Beaulieu.

Anne
Quote 2 0
AM V8
Nice one Anne, the bacon rolls are on you.....
Quote 1 0
Bournemouthboy

Update from Beaulieu

The recent rainfall has hit us quite hard and our grass areas are quite wet. We have however adapted the show to accommodate this. Our hardstanding arena will now solely be parking and will be on a first come, first served basis. We are also looking at other hard standing areas around our site where we can accommodate parking for Astons to make sure that we can get as many in and on firm ground as possible.

I have been in contact with all of the Groups/Clubs that have asked for a spot together to say that we have had to change parking to the first come, first served basis and that if they wish to park together as a group, they will need to arrive in convoy together.

I would be grateful if you could make the forums aware that we are making alternate arrangements for firm ground parking for the event. We will park as many as we can inside the complex and available areas but people will need to arrive closer to the opening time of 9am than maybe they normally would. We still want to achieve a great turn out for the event and want to see our Aston customers back with us this year, despite the unfortunate weather.

Quote 2 0
Mr Toad
Lord Rowley wrote:
Demon V8.....Hereinafter known as “The Mad Ginger Meteorologist: Demon Fish” ! 🤪⛈🌂🤬 “Dr Andrew Palmer, C.E.O., Aston Martin Lagonda, announces latest “Q” modification to improve the nuanced driving experience of your very own Aston Martin or Lagonda through The New Forest this weekend - available for fitment at your local AML Main Dealer.” See Press Release photo below.

That will be a Valentine Tank then!, We have a few of those in Poole Bay, they sank on trials during the 2WW.[eek]

Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
Anne wrote:
Planning on attending the Area 13 pre visit breakfast and joining the convoy to Beaulieu.

Anne

Madam Chairman, we are honoured [biggrin]
Quote 0 0
Lord Rowley
Indeed Mr Toad.
Operation Smash at Studland Bay, I believe. They did use Valentines there but my Wiki pic was titled a Sherman DD, which I believe were rather more ubiquitous than the Valentine.

Cannot imagine the fear of the 6 crew who drowned in the waves that day. And what of the chaps, possibly knowing of that and the Slapton Sands tragedy, still driving them off the LCT’s onto the Normandy Beaches!

Without the likes of those incredibly brave men & women, we would be unlikely to be gathering on Sunday.
Quote 0 0
asington
Most of those 'tanks' were de-shipped some 4 miles off-shore on D-Day - consequently they never made the shore. A complete cock-up! 
Quote 0 0
Lord Rowley
Yes - the disaster at Slapton Sands was supposed to have been the steep learning curve to prevent yet another tragedy !

If I recall, at Normandy, one attempted beach landing with the DD’s was much worse than the other. Was it Omaha ? Too far out and in choppy seas - AGAIN !

Thank goodness, it was my dear Dad’s lot that went through those years and not us.🍻 They would have been so proud of us driving Aston Martins now. UNTHINKABLE for them back then.😳
Quote 0 0
AM V8
Just a few hours to go......
Quote 0 0
DB PHiL
Shame about the weather, hope it brightens up for you.
I cant go due to family issues, but hope you all have a great day.
Look forward to seeing plenty of pictures here later.  [smile]
Quote 0 0
David W
https://twitter.com/carsnapped/status/982887168891858944?s=21

DW
Quote 0 0
Smokeymo
This is how clean Aston was before Simply Aston today !

Amazing event considering the weather :-)

SmokeyMo
Quote 0 0
DB7Solent
Great turn out today despite the weather!
Quote 1 0
rcfurse
I am sorry your weather was foul. We had a gorgeous day up here in N Wales. Exercised the VQ accordingly.
Quote 0 0
JohnSk
rcfurse wrote:
I am sorry your weather was foul. We had a gorgeous day up here in N Wales. Exercised the VQ accordingly.

We had a glorious day too - what better than to be in an Aston amongst likeminded folk. Drizzle or not. The difference is - you were in Wales!
Quote 0 0
duncan_wd
Great day at Simply Aston. Nice to meet Anne, Flashcat and AMV8 and put a face to your usernames. Red 10 is awesome.
Lifes not a trial run. Do it don't wish it!

Area 9 North West England
Quote 0 0
rcfurse
Couldn't agree more but alas I don't get to make all the decisions about what we do at WE's.
Quote 1 0
AM V8
duncan_wd wrote:
Great day at Simply Aston. Nice to meet Anne, Flashcat and AMV8 and put a face to you usernames. Red 10 is awesome.

It was good to meet you too, I hope you have/had a good drive back.
As others, shame about the weather but it was a fab turnout, well worth attending.
Quote 0 0
12 POT
duncan_wd wrote:
The weather forecast has saved me a job on Friday. I was going to wax and polish but I dont think I'll bother. Mind you it's usually a waste of time after the five hour drive down anyway!
See you at the Elm Tree at 8.

In view of the above remarks, I wonder whether you should consider amending your tag-line to "Do it don't wash it!"
Quote 2 0
Flashcat
Hi all,

Yes as mentioned a great day, even more so with the atrocious weather. I went down in my friends DB 6 Mk 2, a pretty much original really lovely car, hopefully will make it in mine next year!

Coincidentally, had arranged to meet duncan w_d who was traveling down from Cheshire, he was the first person we met totally by accident!

Despite the weather we had our picnic setup in the paddock area, table, chairs and the rain which seemed to amuse a lot of the visitors who came up to chat to us. Would have liked to see a few more classics on show, maybe if it was a bit sunnier?

Well done to the owners of three hundred odd cars who brought their Aston’s along for us all to admire and enjoy, just brilliant!

Flash

Quote 1 0