Lord Rowley Show full post »
Wedgie
IanV12VR wrote:

What a brilliant weekend.  Congratulations to everyone at AMOC who made the weekend such a great event.  Bravo!

+ 1
Roger I
Quote 0 0
asington
Absolutely great day. As His Lordship said - the usual suspects should take a bow! What's more they even managed to prove the weather forecasters wrong - AGAIN! However, those of us who stayed at The Duxford Manor Hotel have seen how Faulty Towers is alive and well and living in Duxford! What a blooming shambles at breakfast on the Sunday morning! Unfortunately one of the ladies got terribly upset about the whole fiasco and hopefully she managed to enjoy the rest of the day notwithstanding. Chin Chin all for a few weeks as I'm off on my hols! Have fun.
His Honour The Mayor!
Quote 0 0
Ockyclarke
Thanks to all the organisers. When the day starts with a bacon butty and a Spitfire overhead you know it's going to be a good one!
Paul
Quote 0 0
Gibberish
Please can we go back to the much improved 'Patina and Originality' judging sheets, of spring last year?
They give some competitors the illusion hope!

Was there not an AMOC Spring Concours programme? If there was, I must have missed it.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
The difficulty with 'patina' is that we are judging 'condition'.  Patina shouldn't really come into it.  The only difficulty is when you compare a fully restored car with an original one.  Technically if the restored car is as it came out of the factory then it will win over an original car (unless it's very good).  Now that might not be 'fair' and I had to battle against these cars for years.  Where judges can cater for this is either in 'originality' or in the introduced category 'patina', but it's difficult to justify and practically irrelevant in the newer classes, such as Gaydon.  The problem is in classes where you are judging cars of varying ages, such as Elite and V8.  In Elite patina is irrelevant but in V8 you might be comparing a hardly driven Vanquish to a 100,000 mile OI.  This is where the 'fairness' argument raises its head again.

Just a few thoughts.
Quote 0 0
philmw
To add to GWP's excellent post, the judges have to be careful not to penalize twice so use 'condition and patina' to reflect things like the condition of the leather given the mileage of the car, or if restored/re-"Connolly"-ized then how well this has been done.  A car where the seat leather has been replaced with non-original spec leather will lose points originality.  A car with original leather but recoloured badly will lose points on 'condition and patina'.

At the end of the day, given a car, the judges should not be able to tell if a part has been replaced/restored or is original.  If it is obvious that it is not original then it will lose points.

There was a programme - and very good it was too. 
Quote 0 0
Gibberish
geewizzpip wrote:

The difficulty with 'patina' is that we are judging 'condition'... 

philmw wrote:

...the judges have to be careful not to penalize twice...

Thank you for your replies.
I liked the introduction of 'patina' on the judging sheets. But your insight might explain its disappearance.
Quote 0 0
Russell
i think we should award marks for the owners patina
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Russell wrote:

i think we should award marks for the owners patina

Or trousers?
Roger I
Quote 0 0
DB PHiL
I think Keith would win hands down!!

Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Did he win?
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
Russell
for sure but we havent worked out what yet
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
v12 volante man
Russell wrote:

for sure but we havent worked out what yet

Technically Russell they are mainly your favouraite colour of RED so the award must be!!!!!!! LOL

Regards,
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Russell wrote:

for sure but we haven't worked out what yet
The bet...
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
keithvantage
A really excellent day, may I add my thanks to the organisers and volunteers.

I was convinced we would not make it after we pulled into the services on the M11 for a quick comfort break and to investigate what had caused an overtaking driver to gesticulate incomprehensibly at us 3 miles earlier.

We discovered a pool of oil seeping from under the Oscar. Bonnet up, the horror of an engine bay literally dripping with hot oil presented itself.  My good lady diagnosed the problem immediately! the oil filler cap was missing and must be have been causing mischief somewhere on the M25 or M11.

Amazingly the oil level was still (just) above the minimum mark, so topped up

Following several unsuccessful attempts to seal the filler hole using various combinations of Duck tape, I was resigned to getting it flat bedded home. However an extremely resourceful and helpful forecourt maintenance guy fashioned a temporary repair using a Stanley knife, aerosol can cap and an entire bag of cable ties and every available strong point.

It was enough to get us to Duxford and later, the 100 miles or so back home again, albeit at a very subdued pace! Now the hunt is on for a replacement cap.
Quote 0 0
Lord Rowley
Well done KEITH - a true Britisher if ever there was one !
Balsa wood and glue to get you back across the Channel 👍🇬🇧
Quote 0 0
Dobbie
Glad to hear you all got home safely. I did look out for you, and an oil-slick. Now that you're home I am sure the boy-scout instincts will kick in.
Quote 0 0
annereed
You will be pleased to hear that there is now a 2016 section on the Gallery and a folder for Duxford - so let's see those photos.

Duxford folder is here: https://www.amoc.org/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=115 or go to the Gallery tab at the top of this page.

Anne
Quote 0 0