John B
I would like to emphasise before I start that this topic is not a complaint. I am relatively new to Aston ownership, just over 18 months, and I have entered my 1999 Stratstone DB 7 Volante into the last 3 concours (Pride of Ownership class) to not only show the car but to learn more about Aston ownership etc. At Blenheim I scored 56 points and learnt a tremendous amount about preparing the car, at Chatsworth I scored 71 points despite leaving personal Items in the car and forgetting the handbook and service history. I took great care in preparing the car for the concours at Althorp including having some bodywork repairs over the winter i.e removing minor dents in the doors etc, so I was a little disappointed to only score 67 points. I do not believe the car is currently good enough to win or come in any of the minor places but I am now confused as to what I need to do to improve m score which is my current aim. I noticed on one of threads that the entrant had taken a photo of the judges report. I did not get any direct comments on the day so I rally want to know how I can find out what I need to improve on for next time.
Looking forward to whatever guidance anyone can give.
John Biggs
Quote 0 0
MPD
Hello John
Thanks for your comments. I hope that I am able to assist.
Although I run a Concours Judges Training Workshop once a year, in an attempt to streamline the marking system for originality, judges do have different standards of scoring cleanliness. We must remember that the scoring system is only a means to an end and that your recent score cannot be considered a step backwards in the preparation of your car.
I first met you and saw your car at Blenheim Palace 2010 when I was accompanying HRH Princess Michael on a tour of the display.  She actually commented that she thought your car was the finest there and you may recall her asking me to take a photograph of her, standing next to your car, using her iPhone!
I think that by far the best way of ascertaining how to improve your car is to chat with the judges after judging has been completed. I have previously asked the judges to return to their respective class after the submission of results to me for this very reason.
I think we should make it paramount that the principal judge is available for questions at a fixed time on the day of an event, so that all entrants have the opportunity of discussing improvement.
I may even consider a workshop for entrants who are keen to improve their cars and have 6 senior judges in attendance to answer questions.  I, for one would welcome the opportunity to do this, if it helps and encourages more members to enter.
Entrants are not allowed to retain the marking sheet, as stated in the rules. They are, however allowed to inspect the sheet on the day.  I did notice the marking sheet image posted on this forum.  There are no rules against this......yet!
Quote 0 0
jonc
I don't think you can take a score from one event and apply / compare it to another. You can only use it as a comparison with other cars in your class on the day.

Althorp was my first concours, having bought my Wedge / joined the AMOC towards the back end of last year. I treated the event as a deadline to get as much work done on the car and ensure it was roadworthy, rather than aiming for a class win. In the end I had little time to clean and polish.

In my case, I considered that the mark awarded was generous, but I thank the judges for not causing me embarrassment by announcing a low score! At the end of the day, I was last out of two (or second) and I agree with the judges' decision. Next time I attend with the car, I know the car will be better, but I also know I can't compare marks.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day - the organisation was excellent. My only suggestion for improvement would be better aerials and/or positioning of the base station for the radio mic.

Jonathan.
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
I do believe you are referring to my post with the pictures....I for one would welcome the opportunity to discuss the findings of the judges.....on my sheet in very scruffy handwriting states i have a dent on my petrol cap.....to this day i cannot see one?...also dirty door catch , i assume the judge was referring to the grease on the latch?.....did the cars not leave the factory with grease on the hinges and locks?.......i think the judges should be given a set of guidelines to adhere too......that way different judges would not score to different standards....and a more level playing field would be available to all entrants......but as i drive my car every day i don't stand a chance anyway.....I'll keep entering and will keep getting knocked back...but then again am as stubborn as a mule when i want to be....one day the rules will allow for cars that are actually driven and used to be able to compete with the garage queens.....then again pigs might fly....
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I couldn't understand it when my car came third yet was marked down for originality when it was as it left the factory! When I asked about it I was told that judges couldn't discuss the judging.
Quote 0 0
mrtbird
must be something in the tea  ;D or not ?
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
John B wrote:
...I have entered my 1999 Stratstone DB 7 Volante into the last 3 concours (Pride of Ownership class)...
John and others, would you say the standard in the Pride of Ownership class was particularly high at Althorp? Previously I have been encouraged to enter my DB Mk III in this class but from what I saw at Althorp the standard is now as high as the type specific classes.
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
John B
Mark Donoghue wrote:

Hello John
Thanks for your comments. I hope that I am able to assist.
Although I run a Concours Judges Training Workshop once a year, in an attempt to streamline the marking system for originality, judges do have different standards of scoring cleanliness. We must remember that the scoring system is only a means to an end and that your recent score cannot be considered a step backwards in the preparation of your car.
I first met you and saw your car at Blenheim Palace 2010 when I was accompanying HRH Princess Michael on a tour of the display.  She actually commented that she thought your car was the finest there and you may recall her asking me to take a photograph of her, standing next to your car, using her iPhone!
I think that by far the best way of ascertaining how to improve your car is to chat with the judges after judging has been completed. I have previously asked the judges to return to their respective class after the submission of results to me for this very reason.
I think we should make it paramount that the principal judge is available for questions at a fixed time on the day of an event, so that all entrants have the opportunity of discussing improvement.
I may even consider a workshop for entrants who are keen to improve their cars and have 6 senior judges in attendance to answer questions.  I, for one would welcome the opportunity to do this, if it helps and encourages more members to enter.
Entrants are not allowed to retain the marking sheet, as stated in the rules. They are, however allowed to inspect the sheet on the day.  I did notice the marking sheet image posted on this forum.  There are no rules against this......yet!
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your feedback. I would be very interested in the entrants workshop. I am sure it would help me and others understand the basics of car preparation but also to be able to talk directly with the judges, I also think your point about the judges being available on the day for feedback is really important. Once again thanks for your positive comments.

By the way, have you sold the Dalek yet?

Cheers

John Biggs
Quote 0 0
John B
Rich5ltr wrote:

John and others, would you say the standard in the Pride of Ownership class was particularly high at Althorp? Previously I have been encouraged to enter my DB Mk III in this class but from what I saw at Althorp the standard is now as high as the type specific classes.
Yes I thought the same, it also seems to be a class with a high number of entrants compared to others, there were 4 DB7's entered which was the same as the Bloxham category.
Quote 0 0
MPD
The judges allocated to the Pride of Ownership Class did comment to me that maybe some of the entrants would have been more suited to their main stream class. This needs addressing at the next Concours Seminar and how we police this.  Any suggestions?

John B - The Dalek didn't sell, as it wasn't in Concours condition, according to Geoff Salmon! There was more to this than met the eye...it's all Mark Gauntlett's fault, as he set me up for this TV show! Remarkably, it took a day to shoot, but those clever people in TV are able to edit it to completely change what was really said. A long story......
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Mark

Why can't copies of the score sheets not also be given to the entrants?
Roger I
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
good question.......but not to worry a rule will soon be place.....
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0