astro
Members may have seen my entry in AM News regarding an event in support of a very worthy cause to raise funds for disabled service personnel. These men and women principally from Afghanistan get Thrown out of the services and have to live on a quite meagre pension. Life for them and their families can be extremely difficult, as a lousy reward for having served their country. On 25th May the SOPARA event at Old Sarum Airfield, near Salisbury will feature many activities including a drive past by 25 Astons and 25 Bentleys. Full details may be found on the website http://www.sopara.org.uk

Please ladies and gents do come along to support this high profile event. There will be specially reserved parking areas for Astons (and Bentleys), and it will only cost a tenner each to get in (under 16's approx half price). All the money raised will go to the needy service personnel and you and your families will have a very enjoyable day. If you need more info, you may contact Peter Chapman-Rapkins on 0252-465540 or via email at tiscali.co.uk. Alternatively ask your questions via this forum.
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
Hi Astro,
I think several members from area 13 will be attending,me included,BTW the web link has a .uk on the end:-http://www.sopara.org.uk
Regards
Quote 0 0
astro
Mr Toad wrote:

Hi Astro,
I think several members from area 13 will be attending,me included,BTW the web link has a .uk on the end:-http://www.sopara.org.uk
Regards
Many thanks for responding Mr Toad, I shall be in the drive past using the fully loaded 6.3 Volante. It makes a lot of noise and is a crowd pleaser. It would be nice to meet you if you can find me in the crowd. By the way, Richard Lay will also be in the drive past with his Vanquish. Thanks for the correction to the web site address.
Quote 0 0
hobbes
Hi Astro

would love to attend would will be out in said country, hope u get to drum up alot of support.

Best wishes
hobbes
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
i will be attending this event.........with great pleasure banana
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
This is quite a way from where I live.  What time would we need to be there?
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
AZ, I'm thinking about it.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Me too - I think I'd have to spin it to the wife as Father/son bonding.
Quote 0 0
astro
AstonZagato wrote:

This is quite a way from where I live.  What time would we need to be there?
Hi AZ, Pleased to know you're interested. Time of arrival is up to you since you aren't in the drive past parade (That's now full). For the timings and programme for the day visit http://www.sopara.org.uk to make your plan and simply pay on entry. Note that pre-booking tickets online is cheaper. Hope to see you there.
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
will all Astons be in designated area?.....would hate to turn up and be directed to a ploughed field , as happened to me in the past.....
Quote 0 0
Webby
There is designated Aston Martin parking. Not sure what the substrate is though...
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
tony-hall-40 wrote:

will all Astons be in designated area?.....would hate to turn up and be directed to a ploughed field , as happened to me in the past.....
You don't go to the Goodwood Revival then Tony? 
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
Rich5ltr wrote:

tony-hall-40 wrote:

You don't go to the Goodwood Revival then Tony? 

nope never been....
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
I can't make it.  Son in the middle of exams so he - and I - are on a short leash.
Quote 0 0
grahamj
We may well make it as we are off to Corfe today for a few days for our wedding anniversary...this might just be the kind of romantic thing that the current Mrs Jeffs may want to do on her 1st wedding anniversary

Weather doesnt look too promising so I doubt we'll be wandering around country house gardens or any such thing so you never know...

Graham
Quote 0 0
Webby
A few shots from yesterday.
Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
A great day indeed, combining some of the finest driving and flying contraptions. There were many displays but the twin Spitfire chase was the highlight of the day for me, with the sun making a brief appearance to allow spectators to view some traditional attack manoevers through cloud and clear.

There was an auction of an action painting by General Sir Michael Jackson's son which fetched £8.5k and to the great delight of all present, a parachute free-fall training package was raffled off to a Brigadier who (at more than 80 yrs old) celebrated this as an opportunity to show the young ones (again!!) how it should be done!

It was an honour to meet Alan Curtis, who received a momento of the occassion in the form of a bottle of champagne signed by Members present, with Michael Urban initiating this and doing the rounds with a pen in hand. It was a fitting tribute to Alan Curtis's commitment to the SOPARA cause and the world of Aston Martin.

Many thanks also to Peter Rapkins for coordinating the AMOC part of the day.
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
It was very pleasing to see such a turnout of Astons,despite the wet weather,to start with.The acrobatic Glider was particularly amazing,as was the sound of the 2 Merlin engines of the Spitfires and the Hurricane.

Olympus,next time I will bring my tie!! banana
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
More piccys!
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Mr Toad wrote:
...The acrobatic Glider was particularly amazing...
Does anyone have a programme to hand and can tell me the name of the pilot of the glider? A very good friend of mine is one of the UK's top aerobatic glider pilots so I was wondering if it was him? He also happened to own a vintage Lagonda for many years, although I believe he's now sold it.

Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
astro
Rather belatedly may I thank all those members who turned up at Old Sarum and who helped to swell the funds raised for the SOPARA organisation. Although the weather at the start of the day was poor, we managed to make £100K profit to help the cause. I'm sorry that I didn't get the chance to meet many AMOC clubmates and thank them personally for coming but from the emails and postings in this thread etc it seems that everyone enjoyed the day. It is probable that a similar event will be held next year,with a somewhat different programme. I will make it all known via the AM News and this forum when plans are made. Once again dear friends. a BIG thank you.
Peter 
Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
Rich5ltr wrote:

Mr Toad wrote:
...The acrobatic Glider was particularly amazing...
Does anyone have a programme to hand and can tell me the name of the pilot of the glider? A very good friend of mine is one of the UK's top aerobatic glider pilots so I was wondering if it was him? He also happened to own a vintage Lagonda for many years, although I believe he's now sold it.

Hi Rich5ltr,
The entry in the programme states"Glider & Extra 300 duo aerobatics"
Quote 0 0