RickH
As many of you will know the youngest (and keenest) member of the forum is coming across to the UK in August for a 'mega-fix' of Aston Martin.

I think it would be most appropriate if we could organise a general gathering of the forum personalities (and their cars) to meet CJ.  Moreover, it would be an opportunity to meet eachother, as there are still many of us that have never met.

As for a date, it obviously has to be while CJ is across here, and I would recommend a Saturday so that those of us that work can get to it.  Therefore the recommendation is Saturday 26th Aug (is this the beginning of the bank holiday weekend?).

As for location, I'm not really sure. One option is to combine it with CJ's visit to the AMOC HQ barn.  We could all have a tour round the displays, then adjourn to a local hostelry.  Or alternatively we could combine it with a bit of UK sightseeing at somewhere like Duxford.

So questions are:
Do we arrange a 'meet'?
Is Sat 26th Aug OK?
Where?
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Great idea.
If I'm in the country, please count me in.
HQ would appear favourite, but perhaps the young man in question will have a preference.
Quote 0 0
CJ
I'm really looking forward to this and I think the barn would be a great idea. However, I am open to suggestions. Rick, thank you for getting the ball rolling with this. I appreciate it more than you can imagine!

<>
I just Googled "Duxford". If you're referring to the Air Museum, that looks interesting as well!
Quote 0 0
Charlie
CJ and I are keeping our options and plans "open" for now. This way any ideas and suggestions can be given an opportunity for consideration. CJ is in the driver's seat....
Of course we would truly enjoy meeting everyone.
We will be in the UK the morning of August 22, settle in, see a bit of London, and prepare for our trip to Gaydon the next (first) full day (Wednesday). Thursday we plan lunch with Neil.
I know CJ has a few other events he wants to attend, and we will. (I hope he's including a visit to Abbey Road Studios and that "zebra crossing" for me!)
Saturday the 26th sounds good as far as Rick's suggestion goes.
The trip is approaching quickly….we can’t wait!
See you all soon!....and Thanks

Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Charlie, do you have your eye on an Aston yet?  Which model are you leaning towards as an addition to the stable?
Quote 0 0
Charlie
Wolf,

My choice of AM is the DB9 Volante, but I can assure you CJ will the the first AM owner in our family.

Charlie
Quote 0 0
williamp
..."CJ is in the drivers seat..."

You may live to regret those words!

When you know more of an itinerary why not post it here? I'm sure some people will pop up and say Hi all along the route.
Quote 0 0
CJ
williamp wrote:

..."CJ is in the drivers seat..."

You may live to regret those words!

When you know more of an itinerary why not post it here? I'm sure some people will pop up and say Hi all along the route.

Great idea! ;D

I will update the page as changes occur. All is subject to change.
http://amoc.goldeye.info/itinerary.html
Quote 0 0
lml698
CJ
I trust you will be strongly considering coming to Castle Combe on the 28th  for the AMOC  UBS Championship races . Here you can meet all the folf from Racing Feltham and the whole 1930 - 1980 racing brigade.
Hope not too miss seeing you there
Mark C
Quote 0 0
CJ
Mark,

I wasn't aware of the event, but I'd definitely be interested in attending. How far outside of London is it? Where can I get more info?

Thanks,
CJ
Quote 0 0
williamp
Castle combe is  a lovely circuit in wiltshire, on the M4 motorway towards historic Bath. If you have a look on streetmap or the like, you can see its not that far from london- about 1.5 hours outside of London.

(The M4 is the Motoray closest to heathrow airport).

Of, if you're really smart then go via the M3-A303. Its longer, but you will get to drive past Stonehenge- you cant miss it.

Glad you're at Donington. See you there! (red DBS V8 reg number BNW 900J. if its cold I'll wear my very bright Aston Martin Nimrod racing jacket)
Quote 0 0
CJ
Great! I hope to see you (and the car).

Is there any info regarding the AMOC Castle Combe event online? How long of an event is it?

Thanks.

Rick,

Looking at my itinerary, I think it would be best to have the get together at The Barn.
Quote 0 0
lml698
CJ

The castle Combe event is a non Aston meeting but hosting the two Championship races.  Practice  will probably start at 9.00 am and racing will begin around 1.00 pm ish.
Their website has this
"         

LUX Traffic Systems Raceday - Monday, August 28, 2006 

This event features races for Ferrari Classic, Aston Martin Owners Club Championship, Sports Racing & GT Challenge, Caterham Academy and the BSA Superkart Championship plus the Melton Concrete Products Castle Combe FF1600 Championship, National Mobile Windscreens Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship and Castle Combe Special GT Championship.

Practice is from 08.40 with racing beginning at 13.00.  A detailed timetable will be available here closer to the event.

Admission costs £15 for adults and £7.50 for OAPs with accompanied children free (U16's).  Paddock Transfer is available for an additional £2.50"

I'm sure we can get some spare AMOC tickets from somewhere.
The  2 Aston races will feature about 45 - 50 AMOC racing Astons and the Ferrari  races are always  good fun. Most races are about 15 - 20 mins each

Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
Talking with Webby at Silverstone on Saturday, I gather Saturday 26 August at the Barn is now fixed in CJ and Charlie's itinerary. Please count me in and I'll try to bring the 62 Rapide (there are only 3 in the USA so it might be a unique opportunity to see one of these much underrated cars), although it blew its exhaust mainfold gaskets yesterday! I'm assured it will be ready tho for 26th

What is the timing for the day? Rick, are you still coordinating?

Regards

David
Quote 0 0
RickH
David,

I will certain do any coordination that is needed.

At the moment I am awaiting the official word from Roger (after the COM meeting) so that I can go ahead.

... watch this space
Quote 0 0
Webby
I have provisionally arranged for the barn to be open on the Saturday and now need some idea of numbers attending.
Quote 0 0
RickH
I'm in

I would suggest a mid-morning meet, have a tour around the exhibits (Roger can we get a guide?), then adjourn to somewhere like the Shillingford Bridge Hotel for lunch.

The Shillingford Bridge Hotel is a nice hotel on the banks of the Thames, and only a few miles from AMOC HQ website and picture
Quote 0 0
RickH
Just trying to think of other things that could be coordinated with this visit.

Unfortunately there isn't much Aston related around Oxfordshire, but CJ could come up to the Barn via the 'Aston Hill' near Aylesbury, or Runnymede Motors near Heathrow, then after have a look at 'White Horse Hill' and the neolithic fort, or Oxford itself (if you can stand the traffic!!),
Quote 0 0
Webby
A visit to the cairn on Aston Hill is a must, I would have thought.
Quote 0 0
williamp
Webby wrote:

A visit to the cairn on Aston Hill is a must, I would have thought.

Its a must. It is, afterall where it all started...
I'll be down on the saturday as well at the Barn.
Quote 0 0
CJ
Thanks for the replies! This is going to be quite an event!
Quote 0 0
Webby
Let us not forget Callow Street, in Chelsea, just off the Fulham Road, where Bamford and Martin first joined forces to sell Singer cars, some of which they modified to race.

Still in London, there is also the Grafton Hotel in Tottenham Court Road (Warren Street Tube) where the inaugural meeting of the AMOC was held.

Quote 0 0
RickH
I think that for Webby's contributions here and in the 'Avatars' thread,  he is fully deserving of this week's award:

Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
I think that covers the key London sites. Sadly the residents of Henniker Mews have barricaded themselves in with iron gates now, so getting in to see the site itself is problematic. CJ, you really must pop into the bar (called, handily, the 'Aston Bar' of the Grafton Hotel for a drink (of lemonade ;O) and a look at the plaque commemorating the birth of AMOC. Right by Warren Street tube station.
Quote 0 0
annereed
I've put the barn down on the calender for the saturday.  I think we will be at Dunsford Park on the Sunday 27th so may not be able to do both.

Just looked at the website for the day http://www.wingsandwheels.net/home.asp and see the AMOC is meant to be there too.  Looking at the club calender, it is Area 1 arranging a static display http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option=com_extcalendar&Itemid=275&extmode=view&extid=230  Might be of interest to others.

Anne
Quote 0 0